Author Topic: Pro 5--A Notice I've been Getting  (Read 5993 times)

lindawing

Pro 5--A Notice I've been Getting
« on: January 31, 2010, 12:45:15 AM »
This is not a problem to me, but I thought you should know about it. I pick up my gmail without going to the gmail site, through their POP3 service. In order to do that, you MUST use their secure servers for both incoming and outgoing mail. They (supposedly, at least) check everything for malware, before it is allowed to come through.

Avast Pro 5 doesn't know that, though. Every time I get something at my gmail address (not very often, since I only give out that address to a select group), I get the little notification that Avast can't scan that incoming mail for malware, because it's coming from a secure server.

I just say OK, and the notice goes away...until the next time.

I can see where this might be pretty irritating to someone who is getting ALL their mail from gmail, in their own computer's inbox, through POP3.

Perhaps it's an issue that can be addressed at some point, in future releases.

I also wanted to let you know that I really love the new version and the way it handles things. I feel VERY good about paying for a five-computer Pro license for our household, because I have already seen the results, and the lovely new interface.

Thank you!

Hermite15

Re: Pro 5--A Notice I've been Getting
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 12:48:49 AM »
Hi,

just change your ports in the client settings, for Gmail POP >>> 110, no ssl
                                                                         SMTP >>> 587, no ssl

this way avast will be able to scan your mails and you won't get the pop ups anymore  ;)

edit: don't worry about ssl, Avast mail scanner includes a proxy now, and will reroute everything to a secure connection (995 and 465/587)

edit: and if you don't want your mails to be scanned, and not see this pop up anymore, go to the expert settings for the mail shield, ssl account tab, and at the bottom uncheck "automatically detect..."
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 12:54:50 AM by Logos »

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 01:04:58 AM »
I see that you have reached more than 20 posts so go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then update your Signature: with this information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer advice.

In Account Related Settings select Hide email address from public? to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your flyingacres.com email address.
It will still be visible to you but not to others.

Also Please select your country:

I would remove the Web link as well as it links to your Web site with your email address.

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 11:40:45 AM »
I have got no problem except sending email via Thunderbird 3 on Gmail. No problem receiving emails...

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 11:54:43 AM »
I have got no problem except sending email via Thunderbird 3 on Gmail. No problem receiving emails...

why with sending  ???

lindawing

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 04:16:50 AM »
Logos--Here are the instructions for setting up POP3 gmail with Thunderbird. It specifically says to use the SSL setting. I've tried it WITHOUT doing that, and my mail doesn't get received...

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=86399

I do want my e-mail to be scanned by AVAST.

I haven't had the time to look (just installed the new version of Pro about a week ago, now, and have been extremely busy otherwise, ever since). I've been wondering if I can make an exception for the gmail thing. If not, then I'm not worried about it. I'll just keep clicking OK if I get the notice again. As I said, I get very few things through my gmail interface.

YoKenny--I'm not worried in the least about people having my flyingacres.com e-mail address. I have others that I don't give out. That's my public one, and it's been around for so long now, that spammers are going to get it from somewhere, I imagine, no matter what I do. Also, I WANT people to find my site and the links there, AND my e-mail address.

I will try to remember to take the time to update my sig here, with my computer information, if I should ever need to ask another question. This time, I wasn't worried about getting an answer, really...was just reporting something that I thought you'd like to know, because it's been my experience that the gmail POP3 interface does NOT work if you don't use their SSL instructions. :-)

Thanks to all who have responded. I'll check out the exceptions thing on my own, but if any of you know that answer, please feel free to respond in that regard. Thanks.

Sesame

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 08:49:21 AM »
Logos--Here are the instructions for setting up POP3 gmail with Thunderbird. It specifically says to use the SSL setting. I've tried it WITHOUT doing that, and my mail doesn't get received...

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=86399

Then, as for the notices about SSL, Avast! is working properly and is trying to let you change the setting of your mail client so that it's Mail Shield can scan email before you open it in your mail client.  Please read the posts here again.  You need change the ports as well.  Here is an instruction with pictures.

This time, I wasn't worried about getting an answer, really...was just reporting something that I thought you'd like to know, because it's been my experience that the gmail POP3 interface does NOT work if you don't use their SSL instructions. :-)
You should be able to receive email without following the instruction...it's just Mail Shield cannot scan your emails in SSL traffics.

I'll check out the exceptions thing on my own
"The exception thing" is only when you don't need Mail Shield to scan your emails and for those who are confident with the virus check at Gmail site.  Another layer of protection won't hurt, though.

, but if any of you know that answer, please feel free to respond in that regard. Thanks.
An answer to which question?, may I ask?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 01:25:52 PM »
just some info
google have scanned the mail for virus and spam before you see it, so you are protected
If they fiend a mail with virus they remove it, you will never see it

Gmail is using two virus scanners, McAfee and Authentium
Hotmail = trendMicro
Yahoo = Norton (only incoming)

If you want to test there is an EICAR mail test here and lots moore
GFI Email Security Testing Zone
http://www.gfi.com/emailsecuritytest/

Hermite15

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 01:44:24 PM »
@ lindawing: look, I gave you all the necessary instructions. The question is not whether Gmail needs ssl or not, it does  ;) ...and that's why this topic exists, because you're running avast email scanner too, which makes a difference. So again, while you deactivate ssl in the email client (Thunderbird, Outlook, what you use...) avast will detect that, scan the mails and recreate the required ssl connection to gmail. Check your mail shield settings now may be...and see if your accounts, POP and SMTP are detected there (ssl tab in expert settings; see also if the mail shield is indeed set to scan incoming and outgoing mail >>> main UI)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 02:00:14 PM »
Avast Pro 5 doesn't know that, though. Every time I get something at my gmail address (not very often, since I only give out that address to a select group), I get the little notification that Avast can't scan that incoming mail for malware, because it's coming from a secure server.
This means that avast have detected your mail settings for the Gmail account, so all you have to do is follow the instructions Logos gave in the first reply and you will have trippel scanning on your Gmail account, or remove the nagg popup if you don`t

lindawing

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 03:02:41 AM »
Rumpel--I did understand most of what you said, and knew that Avast wanted me to change the settings. However, what I DIDN'T understand, was that Avast was going to do the SSL part FOR me. I understand, now. Thank you.

Pondus & Logos--After reading and re-reading everything (several times through the whole thread), I finally DID understand that you gave me the answer in your first post, Logos. I'm sorry I didn't catch it, then.

I have now done that, and I have tested, and my gmail DOES come in just as it should, with no pop-up from Avast.

So...my question has been answered and my problem solved, and nothing about Avast needs to be changed, obviously!

Please forgive me for not understanding in the beginning. It just took some people coming at the thing from different directions, I guess, for me to see what I was missing.

Thanks to ALL of you, and this thread can now be marked SOLVED, or whatever it is that you need to do.

Hermite15

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 11:22:13 AM »
@ lindawing: no problem, glad it now works fine for you now  :)

lindawing

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 10:10:54 PM »
I also want to thank everyone for being so kind. Sometimes when questions are asked and answers are given, the answers can get very sarcastic or even mean, if the question-asker has seemed a bit stupid (like I did here). Here at Avast, though, I've rarely, if ever, received a rude answer, and I really appreciate that.

I run several forums of my own, and one of the things I expect from my admin people (and other registered members, for that matter), is simple kindness. If we can't help someone with ONE answer, we try something different. Not everyone understands "the language" (meaning technical language) in which answers are presented. So we always try to say the answer differently if it isn't understood the first time.

I've found that here at Avast, for the most part, that same approach is taken. It makes it easier to ask a question in the first place, because I feel that I WILL get a helpful answer at some point, without being made to feel incompetent or stupid.

Thank you again.