Author Topic: Incredimail doesn't connect  (Read 6557 times)

Offline holiday

• I'm a llama!
    • Personal Message (Offline)
Incredimail doesn't connect
« on: June 25, 2004, 05:06:13 PM »
Well I have installed the latest version of Incredimail and readded my mail accounts and then rerun the Mail Wizard and still Incredimail will not connect (oddly it did once on 1 account for one peice of mail then all together stopped connecting). Any ideas?

Also an old bug that still exists in avast is the endless loop error message you get if you do not immediately erase an infected email. You go to delete it (after returning to your computer from making your morning coffee) and you get an error message that the file cannot be found. You press OK then you get the virus alert prompt. You delete and get the error message...on and on till you have to reboot the computer. I thought this issue was delt with ages ago but it still happens in the latest version.

Offline techie101returns

• avast! Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re:Incredimail doesn't connect
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 10:43:31 PM »
holiday,

Then maybe you should not go for morning coffee!  ;D

Joking of course.  I do not have such an error/s with my version.  It sounds like a corruption within Avast. This is no longer an Avast behavior.

As for Incredimail....what specific errors do you receive?
Go into the Incredimail options and check to see that its' server addresses reads 127.0.0.1 and that the pop3 and smtp addresses are reconfigured for Avast usage.

The addresses should be either: (naturally after the # is from your own isp)

Format1:  username#incomingmail.isp.com (for POP3) and username#outgoingmail.isp.com (for the SMTP)

or....
simply #incomingmail.isp.com (something like this for POP3) and #outgoingmail.isp.com (for the smtp)

Which format you see depends on whether SMTP authentication was on or off prior to installing Avast.
If authentication was used by your isp prior, then you will only see the # appended to your isp code.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 10:45:10 PM by Techie101 »

Offline gate1975mlm

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2004, 02:11:36 AM »
I use Incredimail with Avast Pro and have no problem at all.
I am running Windows 7 64 Bit, Intel Core 2 Duo 6700 2.66 GHz, 4GB Ram DDR2 and lots of Hard Drive space!

Offline holiday

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2004, 08:04:57 PM »
Incredimail seems finicky.Sometimes it'll grab the mail other times it will just "connecting" and then time out with an "operation incomplete". I can't figure why it takes so long to connect, or why sometimes it connects and downloads and other times no. I only have Incredimail cause I can send nice letters + the new junk mail filter. I may switch to Pegasus as soon as avast can cover it.

As for the other issue I have the latest version avast so...Again it happens whenever you let a virus alert sit for too long.

Thanks for the help.

Online Tech

• avast! team
  • Certainly Bot
    • Personal Message (Online)
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2004, 09:21:09 PM »
I may switch to Pegasus as soon as avast can cover it.

Well, you do not have to wait. I use Pegasus now and it is working smoothly with avast  8)

Sometimes it'll grab the mail other times it will just "connecting" and then time out with an "operation incomplete". I can't figure why it takes so long to connect, or why sometimes it connects and downloads and other times no.

What is the timeout of Incredimail?
Are you using an email with smtp authentication (I mean, the smtp server is different from your connection server)?
The best things in life are free.

Offline techie101returns

• avast! Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2004, 10:22:23 PM »
Pegusus is a great program.  I am thinking of moving over to it from Outlook.

However, keep in mind that Pegasus is no longer supported by the developer.

I tried Incredimail but didn't like it.  If I really wanted all that color and fanciness, I would buy a coloring book. haha  :P

Techie
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 10:23:02 PM by Techie101 »

Offline Rocker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2004, 11:02:26 PM »
Techie

Pegasus IS supported in the same way that it has always has been.

Official technical support is available to those who purchase manuals. This is not compulsory and this is a true freeware program without any limitations or adds/nags. The developer even gives you the option to remove the 'Purchase Manuals' icon from the toolbar.

The manuals are expensive, however they are not really needed as the built in help files are very comprehensive and more than adequate for any needs.

There is a new update to the Pegasus program, released in the last month or so.

Online Tech

• avast! team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2004, 11:05:09 PM »

More or less. Two weeks ago we have a new version  ;D

I tried Incredimail but didn't like it.  If I really wanted all that color and fanciness, I would buy a coloring book. haha  :P

Not only that but you must have tons of color pencils  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Offline holiday

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2004, 11:26:48 PM »
My problem is currently in the receiving of mail. Sometimes it will connect to the first couple email accounts then it seems to bog down accessing the others and I get an operation incomplete. As oppose to OE which goes a lot faster.

As far as I know the latest version of Pegasus is not currently supported by avast.

Offline Rocker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2004, 12:10:44 AM »
As far as I know the latest version of Pegasus is not currently supported by avast.

I don't know why you would think this.

Have a look in the Avast Help file, you will find the following statement -

The Mail Protection Wizard works with these mail clients: MS Outlook, Exchange, Outlook Express, Eudora, Pegasus Mail, Netscape Mail, Mozilla Mail, and IncrediMail. But it is also possible to protect mail traffic in other clients. Detailed information about setting of avast! and unsupported mail clients can be found in manual setting of mail protection page.

Offline techie101returns

• avast! Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2004, 02:10:31 AM »
Rocker,

As you have said....
Support is ONLY available from Pegasus Tech Support if you purchase the manuals otherwise their is only the Help file.

This is NOT support.  It is how you look at it, but no really an issue.

Offline Rocker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2004, 02:22:37 AM »
Rocker,

As you have said....
Support is ONLY available from Pegasus Tech Support if you purchase the manuals otherwise their is only the Help file.

Techie101,

Not quiet what I was referring to. I said that Pegasus support is the same as it has ALWAYS been. Rather than your comment that it is NO LONGER supported. A subtle difference.

Personally I find the phrase "only the help file", a little misleading, for as I mentioned the Help file is very comprhensive and more than most users will ever need.

Online bob3160

• avast! √úberevangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • 53 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2004, 02:40:24 AM »
Please don't fight :'(
My feeling about extensive help files is very simple.  Anything that complicated, should be free and should come with a private tutor! ;D
Free avast! Security Seminar: http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/bob3160-1425909-protecting-yourself/    -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/
My Blog: http://bob3160.blogspot.com/ - Win 8.1 Pro 64bit, 4 Gig Ram, avast!2014.9.0.2015 Free, MBAM, WinPatrol -- How to Successfully Install avast! http://goo.gl/VLXde
                     - It's nice to be Important. - It's more important to be Nice. -

Offline Rocker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2004, 02:48:30 AM »
Please don't fight :'(
My feeling about extensive help files is very simple.  Anything that complicated, should be free and should come with a private tutor! ;D

Sir,

You have my apologies if you believe my comments are to be considered a 'fight'. This of course is not the intention, my wish was for accuracy in a calm and logical manner.

Personally, I prefer a 'Help file' to be extensive. Although, I say again, most people will never need most of it.

Regards.

Offline holiday

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2004, 06:23:17 AM »
Someone else here told me that the latest version of Peg doesn't show up on the mail wizard. Which is what I discovered.

Anyhow, no biggie. Right now I'm too busy trying to get stupid weatherbug off my computer. Stupid AOL messenger!

Google Chrome

AVAST recommends using the FREE Google Chrome™ browser.

Download Google Chrome Now