Author Topic: Avast free 5.0.396 I found 2 bugs and 1 issue.  (Read 9218 times)

Cako

Avast free 5.0.396 I found 2 bugs and 1 issue.
« on: February 06, 2010, 11:48:16 PM »
BUG 1:
look at the photo pic2.
if you take the mouse pointer end put it on the button stop for a few seconds this screen appears and the button dont work.

BUG 2: (more serious bug )
if you make a EICAR test ( http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/EICAR_%28arquivo_de_teste%29 ) em put it in the C: \ Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\new folder the scan of avast can not find the virus with the full system scan.
you need to choose another option to scan folders.
why calling full scan system if this not will scan all the folders of the system?
I think this is a bug.
remove foder scan e put it on full scan..
if you make a full scan you dont are protected.....

issue :
look at the photo bscan.
you will see the high consumption of resources during the avast scan.
it cause lags...
fix it.

ALWILL need pay us for find bugs.... ;D
http://www.comosaberfazer.com
Thanks...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 02:22:34 PM by Cako »

olddog

Re: Avast 5.0.396 I found 2 bugs and 1 issue.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 06:18:25 AM »

look at the photo bscan.
you will see the high consumption of resources during the avast scan.
it cause lags...

I wouldn't exactly call the figures shown as "high" , particularly when they are for a user actioned scan. If you require high performance for something else you can always pick another time to do the scan.

You might like however to check what your priority setting is for the scan. The default for the full system scan is "High" - you can reset it to "medium" or "low" if you choose in the settings for that scan under "performance"

olddog

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 07:11:30 AM »

if you make a EICAR text ( http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/EICAR_%28arquivo_de_teste%29 ) em put it in the C: \ Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\new folder the scan of avast can not find the virus with the full system scan.
why calling full scan system if this not will scan all the folders of the system?
I think this is a bug.

I made an EICAR test file from the link you provided, and placed it in the exact location you stated ie C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\New folder.
The "Full System Scan" found it and showed it as a virus. At the end of the scan it was moved into the virus chest as recommended.

I repeated the exercise this time with the test file in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\New folder. Once again the "Full System Scan found it and showed it as a virus.

So this is certainly not a bug in my XP system.

By the way, when you made the test file, you did set the file extension to .COM didn't you, because that is a necessary part of creating the suedo virus test file?

cazoza

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 09:04:48 AM »
Well, i have tested it in win7 64 bits, and avast 5 pro detects the creation of the .com archive as the picture. So i dont think there is a bug, and also if i run a scan of the folder it detects inmediately the eicar as .txt, see below the screenshots. And in my system, the full scan uses 12 mb of memory, and the UI uses 7 Mb when running a scan, and when idle, uses 2 mb of memory. And the bug you mention with the button, i dont have that "bug" i can stay on the button, and it works, before 2 minutes over it.
What OS do u have?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 09:30:31 AM by cazoza »

Cako

Re: Avast free 5.0.396 I found 2 bugs and 1 issue.
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 02:15:22 PM »

if you make a EICAR text ( http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/EICAR_%28arquivo_de_teste%29 ) em put it in the C: \ Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\new folder the scan of avast can not find the virus with the full system scan.
I think this is a bug.

I made an EICAR test file from the link you provided, and placed it in the exact location you stated ie C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\New folder.
The "Full System Scan" found it and showed it as a virus. At the end of the scan it was moved into the virus chest as recommended.

I repeated the exercise this time with the test file in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\New folder. Once again the "Full System Scan found it and showed it as a virus.

So this is certainly not a bug in my XP system.

By the way, when you made the test file, you did set the file extension to .COM didn't you, because that is a necessary part of creating the suedo virus test file?

olddog end cazoza :
i have Avast free 5.0.396
So,i save the eicar test file with extension .txt and not .exe or .com
when I do an individual scan file,avast detects the text file (.txt ) as a virus. (Good)
but when I use the full scan it does not appear in the result. (bad)
when i save in .exe or .com the avast block the file end send it for virus chest. (Good)
but the full scan dont detect the eicar file in .txt,it happens only in the individual scan file.
please,save the file as .txt end make the full system scan!!
anyone can hide a virus in a file .txt and avast will not detect ?
i will restore the .exe file to the folder end make a new full system scan,lets see...
but .txt avast dont detect...

You might like however to check what your priority setting is for the scan. The default for the full system scan is "High" - you can reset it to "medium" or "low" if you choose in the settings for that scan under "performance"

thanks,but this memory consuming for slow systems is a serious problem.
( my xp sp3/1 G ram/pentium 4 (3.2)/)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 02:46:02 PM by Cako »

Cako

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 02:59:44 PM »
Well, i have tested it in win7 64 bits, and avast 5 pro detects the creation of the .com archive as the picture. So i dont think there is a bug, and also if i run a scan of the folder it detects inmediately the eicar as .txt, see below the screenshots. And in my system, the full scan uses 12 mb of memory, and the UI uses 7 Mb when running a scan, and when idle, uses 2 mb of memory. And the bug you mention with the button, i dont have that "bug" i can stay on the button, and it works, before 2 minutes over it.
What OS do u have?

And the bug you mention with the button, i dont have that "bug" i can stay on the button, and it works, before 2 minutes over it.
for you see the same bug you need to retract the screen of avast to hide the button restart scan.

Cako

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 04:15:05 PM »
hi..
this is the result of my new full scan.
I dont know if it's a good news but avast has detected the file extension .exe
but again he did not find the file saved in .txt
enter in this link http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/EICAR_%28arquivo_de_teste%29 to copy the code and save with the notepad (.txt) with any name
if you do a individual scan avast will recognize the virus.
but if you do a full system scan avast does not detect the virus in the .txt file.

olddog

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 04:17:32 PM »
Cako,

As far as I am aware, a virus cannot launch from a .txt file, and hence .txt files (as well as a number of other types) are excluded from scans in the interest of efficiency (not wasting time and effort). Note that you are able to save EICAR.txt, and open it without Avast grabbing it as a virus. but as soon as you use the extension ".com" it is immediately grabbed.

At the risk of making your day, if you named it EICAR.jpg as just one of many other extensions it will not register as a virus in the scan either.

The reason it is picked up in the individual scan (presumably you did this from the right click menu in Windows Explorer) is that particular scan defaults to a "scan all files setting"

Now if you really want to check all .txt, .jpg etc files, you can create your own custom system scan and include the "scan all files" setting, however that just adds a heap more (and arguably unnecessary) work.

On your other subject, the amount of resources used. The threat to PC's seems to grow almost daily, and so does the amount of work needed to try to locate and stop it. It is perhaps a case of how to handle that extra work load. Smarter methods can only do so much after which you have to throw more resources at it if you want to keep the time taken down (more memory, faster  multicore CPU's), or if you stay with the same resources, then you must expect the task to load up the system more, and for it to also take longer.

In addition to the PC shown in my signature, I have Avast5 on a 1.6 Ghz Core Solo laptop with 1GB memory. That on face value should be a slower system than yours but I have to say I am pleased with the performance of the new version.

Cako

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
Cako,

As far as I am aware, a virus cannot launch from a .txt file, and hence .txt files (as well as a number of other types) are excluded from scans in the interest of efficiency (not wasting time and effort). Note that you are able to save EICAR.txt, and open it without Avast grabbing it as a virus. but as soon as you use the extension ".com" it is immediately grabbed.

At the risk of making your day, if you named it EICAR.jpg as just one of many other extensions it will not register as a virus in the scan either.

The reason it is picked up in the individual scan (presumably you did this from the right click menu in Windows Explorer) is that particular scan defaults to a "scan all files setting"

Now if you really want to check all .txt, .jpg etc files, you can create your own custom system scan and include the "scan all files" setting, however that just adds a heap more (and arguably unnecessary) work.

On your other subject, the amount of resources used. The threat to PC's seems to grow almost daily, and so does the amount of work needed to try to locate and stop it. It is perhaps a case of how to handle that extra work load. Smarter methods can only do so much after which you have to throw more resources at it if you want to keep the time taken down (more memory, faster  multicore CPU's), or if you stay with the same resources, then you must expect the task to load up the system more, and for it to also take longer.

In addition to the PC shown in my signature, I have Avast5 on a 1.6 Ghz Core Solo laptop with 1GB memory. That on face value should be a slower system than yours but I have to say I am pleased with the performance of the new version.

Thanks !!  ;D
I know .txt file not does not represent a high risks but it is possible someone create some way of using it.
I will learn more about EICAR TEST.
avast is a Great antivirus.
but have some bugs  ::)
I just do not understand why avast detects the virus in the .txt in the individual scan file
but not in full system scan.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 05:16:16 PM by Cako »

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 05:24:44 PM »
Thanks !!  ;D
I know .txt file not does not represent a high risks but it is possible someone create some way of using it.
I will learn more about EICAR TEST.
avast is a Great antivirus.
but have some bugs  ::)
I just do not understand why avast detects the virus in the .txt in the individual scan file

Not scanning text files by default isn't a bug.  It's a design choice, and a perfectly legitimate one. ;)
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

olddog

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 10:19:44 PM »

I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear when I said

So, simply put - Avast does NOT by design scan .txt files in the "Full System Scan".
It can scan them IF you make a custom scan and tick the "scan all files" option - Your choice.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 10:24:18 PM by olddog »

Cako

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 11:18:30 PM »

I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear when I said

So, simply put - Avast does NOT by design scan .txt files in the "Full System Scan".
It can scan them IF you make a custom scan and tick the "scan all files" option - Your choice.

thanks.
i will make a custom scan end test.....

cazoza

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 05:02:36 AM »
My friend, i suposse you didn't understood my post. I saved the Eicar from the link you provided, and pasted in a txt file, and avast detected it in the explorer scan. I dont know why you have that issue, i will post my log from full scan tomorrow. I have programed a full system scan with the eicar as TXT (again). Let's see what happen with the full scan as you stated.

Cako

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 12:37:33 PM »
My friend, i suposse you didn't understood my post. I saved the Eicar from the link you provided, and pasted in a txt file, and avast detected it in the explorer scan. I dont know why you have that issue, i will post my log from full scan tomorrow. I have programed a full system scan with the eicar as TXT (again). Let's see what happen with the full scan as you stated.
thanks for reply.
I understand you, but for me dont work (.TXT),you save the file as .com (its in your first image)
your second image show the individual file scan in the .TXT
I save as .txt and avast does not block, but as .com or .exe he blocked ...
individual file scan detects.
full system does not detect.
make this test,i will make a custom scan soon..
I think he (olddog) is right ....probably.

cazoza

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 04:54:02 AM »
well, after doing some test, i found that the issue you are talking about, is not an issue, because if you can create a custom scan you can select "scan all files", and that's all. But guess what. I have created a super full scan, and it detected eicar.txt as a virus and it moved the file to virus vault. And the Full system scan misses the .txt file. That's a fact. But the truth is that the full scan should detect the .txt also. That's why it's a full system scan. if not, why does it have that name?? So in order to scan all files, create a custom scan. Just to you to know, my super full system scan included all HDD, autorun software (for all users), memory, rootkit scan (full), and external devices. And it took about 6 hours to complete the scan.