Author Topic: avast! got Poor Virus Bulletin results!  (Read 7641 times)

s2k

avast! got Poor Virus Bulletin results!
« on: June 28, 2004, 05:00:03 AM »
see here:

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avist.xml

avast! got 9 passes / 19 fails in test history.

it also failed the most recent test under WIN XP!

shall i re-consider it? :'(

Staind

Re:avast! got Poor Virus Bulletin results!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 05:06:31 AM »
Search the forums for "Bulletin".

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 05:08:07 AM »
s2k, another virus repport bulletin  :-\
Some avast users are becoming tired to discuss this... Methodology, independency of the testers, etc. etc.
What can we learn more? What can we see? NAV, McAfee and the others with 100%
Sorry, it's not up to you but I'm getting tired... Can you search the forum for the word 'bulletin'...  :'(
The best things in life are free.

Staind

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 05:08:45 AM »
Maybe Vlk or another Moderator should sticky a thread explaining the low Bulletin scores. It would be well worth it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 05:17:49 AM »
Maybe Vlk or another Moderator should sticky a thread explaining the low Bulletin scores. It would be well worth it.

I respect your opinion but disagree. This will make more noise about nothing... A sticky thread? We have more important thinks to solve, help, read and do. Ok, I'm really upset with virus bulletins  :(

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 05:34:04 AM »
I'm inclined to agree with Technical, especially since my gut reaction every time we get one of these threads started is "Here we go again -- g-r-o-a-n."

Considering the number of threads already on the forums here explaining in considerable detail why Bulletin -- and many other -- test results and comparisons are of little or no real value for anyone looking for serious and objective product info, I don't see any point in continuing to beat our collective heads against the wall on the subject.

Just my personal opinion, of course -- but hopefully it's at least partially shared by the team and mods.

What about a brief sticky and locked posting linking to some of the more informative threads on this?  And lock those too while you're at it?

Best to all -- and pass the aspirin  ::)
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

cousindave

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 05:56:19 AM »
Until people learn a litte bit more about Virus Bulletin and how the tests are done it's real easy to take too much stock in them.
It's only human nature to want the one with the best score.
As for me, I tried out  several different antivirus programs and went with the one that worked best with my set-up and it doesn't hurt that support(this forum) is second to none.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2004, 02:15:08 PM »
Gee it seams like this is another post to rehash old news.
Totally distorted and bias news at that. As Technical already mentioned, do a search and you'll find lots of discussion on this subject. It has already been totally discussed.
Enough is Enough.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Negeltu

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2004, 03:54:35 PM »
Lots of people don't know this.  We should all try to be a little more understanding.  As for always telling other people to do searches to find info...Some people don't even know how to do that very well.

s2k

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 06:40:52 AM »
maybe some of you already tired discuss it.
but it's the first time for me.

the website claims avast passed VB100 test so, naturally, i went to vb100 website to check out, then i foud the result. later i found avast missed a virus sample i have...

however i like avast, it just looks good and works well, i recommended it on other forums just now.

i just need some more confidence with it. users of other AV can say their product got "desgined for Windows" logo, got level 2 Check-mark, passed VB100, what can i tell them?...

but i still support avast  ;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 07:25:58 AM by s2k »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 03:33:00 PM »
s2k, sorry if we complain a little about your first post...
Your posts are wellcome but, you know, sometimes we get tired.
Today is another day, let's start again. Wellcome to forums.

Tipton

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2004, 04:04:14 PM »
s2k, sorry if we complain a little about your first post...
Your posts are wellcome but, you know, sometimes we get tired.
Today is another day, let's start again. Wellcome to forums.

s2k makes a good point when he says ...

"i just need some more confidence with it. users of other AV can say their product got "desgined for Windows" logo, got level 2 Check-mark, passed VB100, what can i tell them"?...

So we should tell him things that he can tell people about Avast. One being the support forum, which is great for Avast support. Another being that Avast is not bloated and runs smooth. Smoothe easy installation. Frequent updates. ETC!

Douglas

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2004, 06:18:50 PM »
OK, let's discuss your concerns one-by-one:

i just need some more confidence with it. users of other AV can say their product got "desgined for Windows" logo

The Designed for Windows logo is indeed a nice thing. To get it, a program has to meet certain criteria (user-friendliness, proper uninstaller etc etc.). But please keep in mind that it's not an AV certification. All software types (be it text editors, video grabbers, home furniture design or AV softwares)  have the same criteria to meet. That is, no virus testing is done at all.

Furthermore, not all users really care if the program strictly follows the Designed for Windows logo requirements. All those little things like default install location, registry keys etc. etc.

Stability is also an issue -- but in this case, avast! is a superior product. All in all, we somewhat felt that it's probably unnecessary to give MS yet-extra money just to get a colorful GIF that we could stick on the website.

..., got level 2 Check-mark...

Checkmark is generally considered as an easier variant of ICSA. Both of these certifications cost a lot of money so we basically decided to go just with one of them. We picked the harder to achieve. That is ICSA.

...passed VB100, ...

Unlike most people on this forum I personally think that the VB tests in fact DO have a value. What doesn't really have a real meaning is the VB100 logo. I mean, to get a picture about the the real result of a test, you absolutely should read the magazine. It usually explains what went wrong if a product failed.

Since the VB subscription is quite pricey and 99.9% of people don't have access to the magazine, we always try to explain in detail what went wrong...(I mean, only if avast fails. Otherwise we're eagerly expecting ovations. :)) That's why I suggested searching for older contributions on the forum.

BTW it probably only makes sense to monitor the last few tests (e.g. last 1-2 years) - or you really DO care that much how a product performed in 1998?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

bassbag

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2004, 07:53:53 PM »
S2k...
check out Esets nod 32 experience of the VBA awards and how they work.....then just enjoy avast and dont worry about the hype.
http://www.nod32.com.au/nod32/awards/vb0207.htm
me