Author Topic: Avast Firewall hogging CPU time, PC unusable...  (Read 22398 times)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast Firewall hogging CPU time, PC unusable...
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 05:17:40 AM »
I too have the same problem.  Just installed Avast 5 (registered copy) after being a LONG TERM Norton's user and getting soooo frustrated with pc slow down.  I installed one version on my kids' newer pc (atom-based) and it's absolutely fine.  Installed onto our home PC (older Compaq Presario Athlon 1.8G with 1G RAM) and have the same problem with afwServ consuming 99% of CPU (!!!!).

I've now disabled the firewall, and what-do-ya-know?  It seems to work ok.  But this isn't the fix - Please help Team-Avast!!!??? :(

Did you run the recommended uninstall utility that is specified by Norton as the appropriate tool for best removing the version of Norton that was previously loaded on yr system. Sometimes there are remnants left behind that wioll interfere with the smooth running of avast antivirus.

Norton remnants in particular have proven troublesome, and while such remnants may not have been a problem with older versions of avast - these versions being less heuristically inclined (so there no conflict may arise - but I guessing now) - the v5 in avast progression of antivirus solutions is undoubtedly fall into a category of new technology, that is the category amongst softwares which will over time, if successful, become the  norms by which users and designers will reference their antivirus programs / apps. And so, if remnants is the problem, and has been the likelihood in recent times, take advantage of the Norton utility and may find this will bring yr system back to best performance,

And on top of that you can then run with the softwares that are likely become industry standards for security in the near future.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

thecam

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 02:48:27 PM »
I also had Norton on the two machines where I installed Avast.  I did use the Norton Uninstall utility on both - after first uninstalling Norton use add/remove from the control panel.  Is there anything else I should do to make sure there are no remnants?

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 04:28:06 PM »
Hi, this is caused by a bug in Windows XP function ImageEnumerateCertificates( ) which is being called by firewall service when a process tries to access the net. This function (unpatched in all version of XP) hangs with certain corrupted files and LogitechDesktopManager.exe is one of them.

It will be fixed in the next program update! Until then, either uninstall LogitechDesktopManager, call them to have their file fixed or update Windows.

thecam

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 07:56:13 PM »
I mentioned in my previous post that I have Logitech Desktop Manager running on both machines - one works fine all the time, and on the other the Avast FW uses 100% cpu after each reboot (works none of the time).   I will try to uninstall LDM later this week, but since one machine works and the other does not, I am skeptical that this will fix the problem.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 05:27:35 AM »
I also had Norton on the two machines where I installed Avast.  I did use the Norton Uninstall utility on both - after first uninstalling Norton use add/remove from the control panel.  Is there anything else I should do to make sure there are no remnants?

You could clean registry but I think that you would have done good enough job already.

Lukor has indicated where the issue lies.
There has now been a program update to v5.0.504 so that may fix then problem.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 05:29:26 AM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

thecam

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 08:10:49 PM »
OK, I finally had the time to cleanly uninstall AVG and try Avast again - version 5.0.507 - and this time it is working great.  I'm still at a loss to understand why Logitech Desktpop Messenger only created a conflict on one of the two computers - both have LDM running - but never the less the problem is fixed.  Thank you all for your help, and thanks Avast for being so responsive in making a fix available.

viquis

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 09:41:36 PM »
I to have the same problem... ???  $22.00  wasted??? hope not...i do not have logitech control panel installed. So waht is the fix?  REFUND?

ibm pizza box P4 2ghz 1/5 gig ram Please help  V=====