Author Topic: Question Downloading Free Avast  (Read 13736 times)

hyjaxltd

Re: Question Downloading Free Avast
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 07:01:30 PM »
Neither was I redirected to the site from the Cnet.  If the majority were redirected from Cnet, I think there would be a lot of complains at that site.  So, I think it is rather natural for Zyndstoff to suspect that it may be the deeds of malware.
How many users do you think just thought, well, Alwil sent me here, maybe these guys moved it...and just downloaded it without seeing issue?

Now Alwil has infected versions that are coming here to report problems that have NOTHING TO DO WITH REAL AVAST.

Hi  :)

I've Got To Say... I'm with hyjaxltd on this  :(

We go to the Avast Website and click a Download Link .. We're then taken to another totally different website - With another Download Link    ???

Starting To Have Doubts...

Some people may or may not click that second Download Link  :-\

I Didn't!  ::)
Feeling so uncomfortable that every time I clicked to download the English Version of Avast 5 Free...
I was taken to Download.com / CNet - To a Download Link for the Multi Language Version  :o
In The End!
Thought... " No Way! - If I'm going to end up with the Multi Language Version anyway... May as well have it from Filehippo  "
So! .. That's What I Did  ;)
Filehippo : http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/

But Avast 5 really should be available.. Directly From Avast  >:(

Hally

Thanks for getting COMMON SENSE with it Hally  ;D

Sesame

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 07:09:26 PM »
It was the English Version of Avast 5 Free that I was trying to download from the Avast Website - Not Multi Language!
However!
When I was sent straight to another download link at Download.com / CNet ... It was still the Multi Language anyway   >:(
Confirmed but there is only a few MB difference, which is completely different from being redirected to a malicious site in terms of the seriousness...

spg SCOTT

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 07:12:23 PM »
Yes, the specific language versions seem to redirect to the multi-language version...

However, I think that we should let this thread go on it's original path, as it seems as though we are getting off topic and at risk of getting the thread locked again...

Waiting for myron to reply...

Sesame

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 07:16:05 PM »
Yes, the specific language versions seem to redirect to the multi-language version...

However, I think that we should let this thread go on it's original path, as it seems as though we are getting off topic and at risk of getting the thread locked again...

Indeed.  For, it is a more serious issue.

Hally

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 07:26:30 PM »
Hi  :)

Can I Just Add One More Thing...

I never did click the Download Link on the Download.com / CNet wesite.
I just went to Filehippo instead  8)

However! - Myron Did!  :(
And from what myron says...
It was only once the Download Link on the Download.com / CNet page was clicked ... Myron was then taken to the Zoombli page :o

Hally

Sesame

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 07:34:14 PM »
However! - Myron Did!  :(
I did, too, under a considerable protection.

And from what myron says...
It was only once the Download Link on the Download.com / CNet page was clicked ... Myron was then taken to the Zoombli page :o
The story is different here.  I wasn't redirected to the site at all.  I know I'm repeating here but if the majority were redirected, Cnet site must be "like a lit Christmas tree" if I quote someone.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 07:41:47 PM »
BINGO...

I know where the zoombli connection comes from,

On the CNET download page there are 2 ads for 'Advanced Registry Optimizer 5' which has a referral link to, yep you guessed it, zoombli.com....

One is permanent (image 1)
The other seems to be randomly circulated (image 2)

Is there the possibility that this was clicked at any point?

The random one is easily clicked by accident, I did as the page was loading, which was what led me to it...

-Scott-

hyjaxltd

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 07:51:57 PM »

Shoot, Myrons probably worried hes just gonna be told to deal with it like some of us are being told... :-X

Actually, I dont see this as to far off the OP topic.  His questions concern downloading Avast and why all the redirects...thats what we are all talking about here...right ???

This is a BIG problem in Alwils eyes...right  :o

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 08:51:38 PM »
Scott wrote:

BINGO...

On the CNET download page there are 2 ads for 'Advanced Registry Optimizer 5' which has a referral link to, yep you guessed it, zoombli.com....

The random one is easily clicked by accident, I did as the page was loading, which was what led me to it...

--------------------------------

Sounds reasonable... I tried several times now: I wasn't redirected once from cnet to somewhere else. Nor has it happened before, whenever I went to cnet to download something.
myron was the only one who reported this, as far as I understand this thread?
So the above explanation could be right...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 08:53:27 PM by Zyndstoff »
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

hyjaxltd

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 11:44:29 PM »
Scott wrote:

BINGO...

--------------------------------

Sounds reasonable... I tried several times now: I wasn't redirected once from cnet to somewhere else. Nor has it happened before, whenever I went to cnet to download something.
myron was the only one who reported this, as far as I understand this thread?
So the above explanation could be right...
Unless the link had "Download" in a big green button that instigated me being directed to 'the filed bible' download page...this is not whats happening.  Or are you pruposing that CNet has its links mismatched...I could buy that.  But I did not click anything EXCEPT for the download button.  I am VERY familiar with how CNet is laid out.  But again, this is not a common thing over trying to download from CNet...and its not specific to the Avast download, but here in the forum does relate to Avast.

I undertand how many might think we just didnt know where to click to download it after the first redirect via Alwil to CNet...but we all know what happens when we assume  8) and I dont feel like being one today.  Again, I am VERY famaliar with CNets page design. Again, this was not the first time Iv been redirected on CNet...one time it even started a download and I ALWAYS have permissions set to ask me what to name something and where to put it.

I dont really blame CNet either, Im only saying that Avast should not be treated as a media player as far as its marketing.

The 'hijak'(no pun nor refernece to me exists here) exists...sorry, an its not ftrom us absent mindedly clicking on an ad.

...Cnet site must be "like a lit Christmas tree" if I quote someone.
...yea, Id say thats a good analogy...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 05:49:21 PM by hyjaxltd »