Author Topic: Avast 5 - No sound in Windows XP Pro  (Read 4182 times)

peternguyen

Avast 5 - No sound in Windows XP Pro
« on: February 28, 2010, 08:45:28 AM »
I recently installed Avast 5 (installing it after uninstalling the old version first), however when there is a pop up notification, there is no sound, eg. there is no sound or voice over saying the virus db is updated. The settings are default, and the sounds are enabled in the settings, and there are sound files in the sound folder. Additionally, i've installed Avast 5 on a virtual machine using WinXP Pro, same as my pc, and the sounds work there. Any ideas?

deertroy

Re: Avast 5 - No sound in Windows XP Pro
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 05:46:53 PM »
I am having the same problem.  I am using XP Home SP-3.  My wifes laptop is running Windows 7 and sounds and voice prompts works fine.  I have checked my settings and have all boxes checked in the sounds tab.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 11:08:18 PM »
Please go to Control Panel / Sounds and Audio Devices, switch to the last page (Hardware), select Audio Codecs on the page and click "Properties"; a new window appears - switch to the "Properties" page, and post the screenshot of that page.

deertroy

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 01:30:51 PM »
Igor

I don't want to highjack this gentlemen's post so I'll post a screen shot in my post located here (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=56686.0) later today and you can take a look if you don't mind.

Thanks