Author Topic: Why didn't program updates notify me of 5.0?  (Read 4154 times)

lee88

Why didn't program updates notify me of 5.0?
« on: March 07, 2010, 05:15:59 PM »
I have program update set to automatically notify me when a program update is available. Avast 5 has been out for awhile now but I never got any notification. When I do a manual 'update now' it says 4.8 is the latest version. Why wasn't I notified of 5.0? Thanks

Hermite15

Re: Why didn't program updates notify me of 5.0?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 05:36:48 PM »
I have program update set to automatically notify me when a program update is available. Avast 5 has been out for awhile now but I never got any notification. When I do a manual 'update now' it says 4.8 is the latest version. Why wasn't I notified of 5.0? Thanks

funny, because some people complained that they were notified, taking into account that in many cases a direct upgrade from 4.8 to 5.0 generated many issues. You're better off uninstalling V4 completely, reboot, and install V5 from scratch.

lee88

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 06:00:11 PM »
Thanks, but I don't have it set to automatically upgrade, just to notify me of program updates. So again, why wasn't I notified?

gtafanboy

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 06:24:15 PM »
not sure, im still not notified of the 5 update

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 06:56:03 PM »
Thanks, but I don't have it set to automatically upgrade, just to notify me of program updates. So again, why wasn't I notified?

There is a rolling update notification, with over 100 million users they all can't be updated at the same time and server load has to be balanced.

There is nothing to stop you downloading the latest version 5.0.418 from the avast.com site, there is likely to be a further update to soon, so I don't know if that also might freeze the rolling update notification.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jack 1000

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 07:31:37 PM »

There is a rolling update notification, with over 100 million users they all can't be updated at the same time and server load has to be balanced.

There is nothing to stop you downloading the latest version 5.0.418 from the avast.com site, there is likely to be a further update to soon, so I don't know if that also might freeze the rolling update notification.

Exactly,

They might be doing the role out in server batches around the world to minimize overload.  Version 5 is now very good.  So if you want to get it, and I recommend you do, make sure you COMPLETELY UNINSTALL Avast 4.8 from Add/Remove programs first.  Than reboot, go to www.avast.com to get version 5 and install it that way:

Follow the installation prompts.  About a minute later, you should receive the "Virus Database Has Been Updated" message.  You still need to get your license key, and it's much easier than 4.8:

1.) Open Avast on your desktop
2.) Click on Maintenance
3.) Click on Registration
4.) Fill out the form for your license key
5.) Click "Submit"
6.) Within seconds, you will have your key for 12 months of free protection and updates
7.) When the time is about to expire you will receive a pop-up notice and/or e-mail notice to re-register for another 12 months. Just repeat steps 1-7 to get a new key. 
8.) Note that you will also need to do steps 1-7 again if you ever need to reinstall the program.

Jack