Author Topic: Help with registering Avast PRO ..  (Read 5139 times)

andrewlen

Help with registering Avast PRO ..
« on: March 15, 2010, 05:58:55 AM »
I can't beleive the reply I got from "support@avast.com" (Mr Martin Kvid) after requesting help with our issue..  About a week ago I sent the following email to support;

- - - - - - 8< - - - - - -
Hello,

Back in August of 2009, I purchased 14 x 3 year subscriptions for Avast Pro v4.8 for all of our office computers. (See PDF Attachment included as proof of purchase) 

I recently upgraded Avast Pro v4.8 to Avast Pro v5.0 on all the machines and all went well with v5.0 of Avast Pro retaining the license information, however on one of the machines yesterday, I had to use the Windows XP “System Restore” function to correct an unrelated problem which corrected the problem I was having, however also broke Avast Pro v5.0 to the point where it would not start after the restore. 

Manually starting the service only resulted in it starting and immediately stopping again.

To try and rectify the problem, I uninstalled Avast 5, re-installed v4.8 and entered the registration details again. Rebooted and upgraded the machine to Avast Pro v5.0 again, however this time it did NOT retain the registration information and is on a 30 day trial instead.

I can’t see anywhere in v5.0 where I can enter the v4.8 license codes I received when I purchased the 14 licenses back in August last year and nor do I have a file to use in the “Insert license file” section of Avast 5.0 in order to re-register the product.

Can you please provide a license file to rectify this problem, preferably one which can be used for all 14 computers in case we strike a similar problem with Avast v5.0 breaking again should System Restore need to be used again.

I look forward to your response and help to this issue at your earliest convenience.

- - - - - - 8< - - - - - -

The reply I got from support had absolutiely NOTHING to do with my problem.  It started as so;

"Hello,

there's a new version of avast! 5 (5.0.462) available; it contains some fixes and improvements in firewall module - could you please download an install this version an let us know the result?

The recommended procedure is to perform a new "fresh" install........."

Blah blah blah and just went on to tell me how to do a fresh install of the Avast 5 SUITE which we are NOT licensed for, and not a word about how to license the new version with my existing valid license codes or how to get a license file to insert into the ruddy thing!

It is PAINFULLY clear that not a word of what I wrote to support was read and that the reply I received was a standard template reply that had NOTHING to do with the problem I was requesting support for.

We've spent thousands of dollars with Alwil over the last few years, licensing our server and all our workstations and this is the level of support Alwil provides?!

I replied to the support technician "Mr Martin Kvid - 2nd Level Technical Support & Quality Assurance ALWIL Software a.s." requesting that he actually READ the email I had sent and offer a solution to my problem 2 days ago, but still no reply.

Perhaps someone here can help with a solution?

Or suggest someone I can email who will actually read what my email says before firing off a reply template?

Yours in hope..

Andy

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Help with registering Avast PRO ..
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 12:22:48 PM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch on that particular machine:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that. Use both cleaners (for version 4 and 5).
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 12:53:01 PM »
there's a new version of avast! 5 (5.0.462) available; it contains some fixes and improvements in firewall module - could you please download an install this version an let us know the result?

The recommended procedure is to perform a new "fresh" install........."[/i]

Blah blah blah and just went on to tell me how to do a fresh install of the Avast 5 SUITE which we are NOT licensed for, and not a word about how to license the new version with my existing valid license codes or how to get a license file to insert into the ruddy thing!

Not really - you should read the message as "some fixes" (overall) - and (which is unrelated) "improvements in firewall module".
Of course, the new version 5.0.462 has also been released in the Pro edition, not only Suite.

As for converting your license - see here: http://www.avast.com/resend-license.php

andrewlen

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 12:22:54 AM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch on that particular machine:

Why?

Had you read what I wrote above, you would see that I said "Rebooted and upgraded the machine to Avast Pro v5.0 again, however this time it did NOT retain the registration information and is on a 30 day trial instead" - How would an installation from scratch (which I'd already done) cause it to suddenly recognise that fact that it's already registered for more than 2 and a half years when I don't have a license file to insert into it, only a valid v4.8 code for which there is no option to enter in v5.? of Avast Professional. As indicated, it's running perfectly only that it's in TRIAL rather than REGISTERED mode.

6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.

With all due respect and gratefullness for your willingness to try and help "Tech link", you just did exactly the same thing the tech support person from support@avast.com did.  You offered a solution to a problem I was not having because you either didn't both to read, or manage to comprehend, what I wrote. 

Perhaps I should have phrased my request differently, but to me it seems that this..

I can't see anywhere in v5.0 where I can enter the v4.8 license codes I received when I purchased the 14 licenses back in August last year and nor do I have a file to use in the “Insert license file” section of Avast 5.0 in order to re-register the product.

Can you please provide a license file to rectify this problem, preferably one which can be used for all 14 computers in case we strike a similar problem with Avast v5.0 breaking again should System Restore need to be used again.
[/b]

..was pretty self explanatory. (?!)

7. Check and post the results.

I can assure you with 100% certainty that had I followed your (admittedly quite clear) directions, I would be in exactly the same position as I am now - with a copy of Avast 5 Pro running perfectly well in Trial mode - and STILL no way to register it despite the fact that I paid for 3 years of updates and upgrades in the middle of last year.

Sigh.. Thanks anyway.

Andy

andrewlen

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 12:28:09 AM »
As for converting your license - see here: http://www.avast.com/resend-license.php

Thank you very much for actually reading my entire post and understanding what the problem was as a result igor.

What you have provided above is EXACTLY the solution I needed and was looking for.

Finally!  :)

Cheers...

Andy