Author Topic: Avast Family Licens for WHS version 4.8 valid for client version 5.0?  (Read 7861 times)

Offline mck75

• Personal Message (Offline)
Hi Avast

Less than a year ago I bought the "avast! 4 Professional Family Pack, 3 years" for my WHS including 10 licenses for Avast Pro on Client PC's.
It works perfectly.
Now I have installed Avast Pro version 5.0 on a new client PC.
The new client PC shows correctly on my WHS console but when I try to deploy a license the expiration date is not updated, and the client PC still reads "Trial" version.
Please inform whether I can or can't use one of my spare licenses for the new client PC with Avast Pro version 5.0.

Thanks in advance!!!

Offline NBuckmaster

Re: Avast Family Licens for WHS version 4.8 valid for client version 5.0?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 09:40:15 AM »
Try entering the license key at the client instead...

Ned

Offline mck75

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 08:02:28 PM »
Hi Ned

I tried, but it did'nt work. The license key needs to be converted from a version 4.8 license (key) into a version 5.0 license (file) when entered directly into the client. The conversion manager does not recognise the original license key.
I guess it is because the license never was supposed to be entered this way, but deployed from the server.
The most logical conclusion is that I can not use a version 5.0 Pro Client PC with my WHS 4.8 Family Pack.
But I would like to hear it from the AVAST team before I downgrade the new client.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion!!!

Offline agent86oz

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 09:23:42 AM »
I have a new laptop and had to un install the non optional Norton 360, nice that!

Anyway came here and trying to work out what the official story and process is to install avast 5 on the Windows 7 64bit client and have the licence work?

Am I stuck with installing the old client.

Will avast continue to support WHS with 10 client packs or should I look elsewhere?

I have 2 years remaining as I brought 3 year licence for server and clients but WHS seems to be in confusion based on what I can read in the forums.

Any advice appreciated.

PS. I found this http://www.avast.com/resend-license.php but WHS uses a file it deploys to Avast over the network, there is no licence key number to enter?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 04:47:58 PM by agent86oz »

Offline mck75

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 09:29:56 PM »
Hey all and Agent86oz

Avast actually solved the problem!

I now have WHS version 4.8 and clients using Avast Pro version 5.0 with expiration date mid 2012.
My problem was that the conversion program on Avast home page did not accept the Avast Pro 4.8 license key that I got when I bought the Family Pack.

But in a matter of days the support team from Avast responded to my query and sent me a valid version 5.0 license file as an attachment to an e-mail based on the original procurement details.
Why the conversion program did not accept the license key in the first place I don't know, probably because it was originally procured as a family pack license.

But with all the negative sayings of Avast lately on this forum, I am glad to say that Avast responded quickly and efficiently.

Offline kulugo04

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 10:05:12 PM »
mck75

Just wondering, how long did it take for them to response to your email? It's been 4 days now and they have not responded to my ticket. And how did you contacted them? Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:10:24 PM by kulugo04 »

Offline agent86oz

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 06:43:19 AM »
Sorry I forgot to get back. They sent me the key and instructions within a week. No reply weather or not they would support the 10 licence family pack again. As advised below I am sticking with 4.8

If you wish to upgrade any of your workstations to V5, be aware the you will loss the ability to manage it by WHS.

V5 is NOT currently compatible with the avast! 4WHS Edition.  The current range of V5 products is designed for individual workstations only.

We are looking at upgrading the current avast! product range to V5, but this will take some time. 

For the moment, customers who use the WHS should stay with  V4.8.  We will continue to support our customers with all necessary updates.

We will let you know when the V5 upgrades will be launched.

If you wish to upgrade your workstation, first, please uninstall V4.8 Avast Antivirus, reboot computer and install fresh copy of V5.

Google Chrome

AVAST recommends using the FREE Google Chrome™ browser.

Download Google Chrome Now