Author Topic: Scan from windows Explorer (right click file scan)  (Read 4553 times)

miscreant

Scan from windows Explorer (right click file scan)
« on: March 24, 2010, 09:37:25 AM »
Ive set the scan from windows explorer (explorer context menu scan) to highest settings available .When scanning a virus it shows no virus found.However if i execute the file ,avast detects it .Can someone explain how this works?
tia
m

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
Re: Scan from windows Explorer (right click file scan)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 11:27:58 AM »
Maybe that exe file was packed by unsupported exe-packer, so avast can't detect the virus in that exe file.
But once it extracted to the temp folder, avast can detect the virus and block it.

Unfortunately, I feel avast has less ability to unpack exe files compared to Microsft Security Essentials etc...
(Of course, I like avast very much than MSE  ;))
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 11:30:21 AM by NON »
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

miscreant

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 11:36:42 AM »
Thank you for the explanation , :)
m

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 04:01:07 PM »
Thank you for the explanation , :)
m

I think that you got this in mid virus definitions updates.

I saw this coming a mile off when I received a suspect email in my anti-spam software about a change of facebook password and attached file. I knew for a fact this was malware as a) I don't have a facebook account and b) there would be no way it would be notified in this way and attaching an .exe file inside a .zip attachment. So I allowed it through to so I could check.

I unpacked it from the .zip file and no alert from avast and uploaded it to virus total where 22/42 detected it as malicious. So I sent the file to avast from the chest reporting the problem VT detections, but no on system detection. Having started a manual update to ensure the file was submitted and shortly after that avast alerted to the file.

What the h*ll would you want to execute this file for, when it is so obviously dodgy ???
Never click links or open attachments or run the files in attachments in unsolicited emails, your system will tank you for it.

So this time you got very lucky in that avast detected it when you tried to run it, what would have happened if avast didn't detect this variant (almost anything) ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

miscreant

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 07:37:17 PM »
Hi David...
I executed it in shadow mode (i use shadow defender +shadow protect) and also have a backup image of my pc.Its not the first time that the explorer scan hasnt detected similar virus/malware ,but when executed it does detect it.
m
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 07:39:40 PM by miscreant »