Author Topic: AVAST 5 Disabled  (Read 5241 times)

photoizbk

AVAST 5 Disabled
« on: April 03, 2010, 02:07:46 AM »
On March 22, 2010 I purchased AVAST 5 so that my pc wouldn't be unprotected when my AVAST 4 license expired. So, that went ok, didn't have a problem at all, everything working fine. So, today I was on nbc.com and tried to download the HD viewer to watch some shows. The computer started acting weird, slow, wouldn't download the viewer, after a few attempts I gave up. The computer still acted as if there was something wrong..very slow, wouldn't load pages, no messages or errors reported. So, I decided to do a system restore, bad idea. The system shut down AVAST and now I cannot get it to enable. It looks like some of the files might be missing too.
Can someone please help me? If you decide to take me on, please be patient and talk in layman's terms as I am not completely computer illiterate, but don't know much either.

Thank you.

photoizbk

Re: AVAST 5 Disabled
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 02:10:32 AM »
I suppose I should tell you that I am working in Windows XP with Google Chrome as the browser.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 02:33:41 AM »
Hi photoizbk,

Could well be the viewer was infected, which is not a rare thing. DelFin infection because security too lax. Trouble with it reported here:
http://boards.nbc.com/nbc/index.php?showtopic=800333
Upload the executable to virustotal com and see what it reports,

polonus
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 02:38:55 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 02:36:25 AM »
Check your computer for Malware with

Malwarebytes Antimalware http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
after install click UPDATE and run quick scan, click on REMOVE SELECTED to quarantine anything found

SUPERAntiSpyware http://filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/
Are cookies really spyware and are they dangerous?
http://www.superantispyware.com/supportfaqdisplay.html?faq=26

If anything is found come back and post the scan logs here

after this i think you should try a new clean install of avast

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 02:44:24 AM »
I've had a look at the nbc video page and can not find any section that says anything like "download player", so am not at all sure what you were actually attempting to download.
Could it have been a flash player you needed to install to watch the content?
If so, this is a fairly generic component used in a lot of websites to embed videos..youtube and the like. It can be obtained here. (NB, as part of the install routine, it is recommended for you to not included the McAfee scan. It is also required to download and install the appropriate version for your browser.)

System restore is a bad idea in this sort of circumstance, as it is not a true restore. Some files will not be restored. The registry entries (basically Windows commands on what to do with a particular set of files) will be restored. But not anything done since that restore point. It can be a good way to get Windows a bit confused.

I would recommend a full uninstall, using the Avast built-in uninstaller, then the Avast uninstall utility, (see the instructions on that page) then install afresh from scratch.

You should obtain all the files you need for this before uninstalling Avast, so that you can be offline for that.
Go online again after it's all re-installed, and up and running, and get updates. Then maybe visit that adobe site to get the flash player. Do that in the browser you wish it to be installed to, or all browsers (IE as well) if you want.

Does that help? Any questions about procedure/reasoning, please ask.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

photoizbk

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 04:17:21 AM »
Thank you, i will try what you all suggested and let you know tomorrow.

photoizbk

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 07:48:52 PM »
Greetings helpers!

Here is what I found in the Malwarebytes:

Trojan agent  C:/DocumentsandSettings\(myname)\LocalSettings\temp\opr8B1.tmp

I have removed the trojan with Malwarebytes but it remains in the Quarantine file there.

I have also uninstalled Avast!5, but I do know that those files are still in the computer, somewhere. How do I delete all of those old files? and Where do I go to download a clean version of the Avast!5 I purchased on March 22? Will the license I was given then, work for the new download?

Thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 08:05:38 PM by photoizbk »

photoizbk

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 08:22:37 PM »
I guess I should add that when I went through the files on Avast after trying to get Avast 5 to recognize my license, I was told that the license could not be read. The license stated that it expired in 1969. What is up with that? Did I download some kind of false Avast and got taken for 40.00--that I DON'T HAVE??

Some guidance would be appreciated! I don't want the "free version" I want the Avast that I supposedly PAID for.
I went to another posting that had this problem and that person was told that the helper couldn't help them. Does that mean that we are out the money and were taken?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 09:09:02 PM by photoizbk »

photoizbk

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 08:57:46 PM »
Ok, my mistake. I have found the legitimate license for the Avast 5 I purchased. But I still need follow up about my situation.

Thank you again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 09:22:32 PM »
I suggest an installation of avast 5 from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

photoizbk

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 10:44:15 PM »
Thanks, I will give all of that a try and let you know. It might take a bit since I am a bit computer literate, but mostly illiterate!  ::)

photoizbk

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 11:04:05 PM »
It appears all systems are go. Thank you for your help! I hope I don't have anymore problems. Have a wonderful weekend! ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 03:26:11 AM »
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)
Happy Easter!
The best things in life are free.