Author Topic: avast! 5.* installed  (Read 2397 times)

PapaSmurf

avast! 5.* installed
« on: April 12, 2010, 04:17:05 PM »
Ok, after much soul searching..(several internal debates with myself)..and after
reading the forum and seeing what has been said about the latest version of avast!, (I use free home edition), I finally decided to make the leap.
First off, for anyone considering updating their version, be certain to research first.
I know some of the suggestions are going to sound rather n00b, but they will make your transition easier to
cope with, should something go wrong.
Ok, first off, I will assume that your system is CLEAN and UP TO DATE driver wise.
I cannot tell you how many "hidden" troubles can be caused by a system that is not up to date, or is befuddled with a dirty, clogged registry. I am not going to suggest any programs for you to use to accomplish this, I have my favorites, as I am sure many others do too.
If you are confident about your setup, then it is time to do a little reading.
This forum is LOADED with great information from people who have either learned from experience, or are simply what I call "super users", people so familiar with system operations that they are able to provide answers to most any question.
Research what you are about to do!
Gee, I cannot shout that loud enough. First, find out how to upgrade..are there any specific things you need to do? Second, read about RECOVERING. Should the upgrade not work, how do you get back to where you were? Is there a removal tool? Do you have access to the previous version?
Is your firewall a pig? Will it conflict with the setup? Do you have any remains of another virus scanner other than avast! ? ..(This refers back to having a clean registry)
I know that most people are a "point and clik" kind of crowd, but please, if this describes your usage, do yourself a favor and take these simple suggestions to heart. It is far easier for an expert to help you in the advent of an error if all the "simple" stuff has been done.
As far as my upgrade went, the new version did a quik uninstall/upgrade/restart of my system with no issues to report on. The interface has changed, so you will need to explore it and check your settings,
but for the most part it is the same quality scanner with a few improvements.
I hope your version upgrade goes as well as mine.  :D
Here is an example of a topic worth researching before you make the leap: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58225.0
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 04:38:54 PM by PapaSmurf »

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: avast! 5.* installed
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 06:28:08 PM »
Great post!
Thx for that.

However, I am afraid nobody will do as you recommend...  8)
Everybody is crying afterwards.

Have fun with Avast

Zyndstoff
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear