Author Topic: Can huge be dangerous?  (Read 10557 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Can huge be dangerous?
« on: April 13, 2010, 09:51:37 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

I stumbled upon this: http://hugeurl.com/
Has been started as a joke, but what happens if you huge-up a malicious URL?

Like your comments?

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Can huge be dangerous?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 09:56:43 PM »
Lol, that's ridiculous!

Of course, if I saw a link like that anywhere, I'd think it was malicious anyway, regardless if it was or not.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 10:07:39 PM »
Hi scythe944,

As it is similar to obfuscation, there is another one here: http://www.reallyhugeurl.com/

Whoever thought of this never realized what the consequences could be if one gives in a malicious address.
Or am I the only one, because I have a malware fighting set of brains?
Can you test if avast webshield will flag malcoded addresses huged up that way.
Anyone,

polonus

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 10:11:08 PM »
Well, find me a link to a bad website, and we'll make a hugeurl out of it and give it a shot.  All the computers that I use for work are just junk machines anyway, if anything happens I'll just blow it away and rebuild it.

No biggie.

As for your question,
Whoever thought of this never realized what the consequences could be if one gives in a malicious address.
Or am I the only one, because I have a malware fighting set of brains?

I think anyone that has used a computer for a while would think the same way, I know I do.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 10:19:25 PM »
I admit that's funny ;D ...adding : who clicks on those links?

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 10:21:10 PM »

Can you test if avast webshield will flag malcoded addresses huged up that way.
Anyone,

polonus

I just tried with Google.com, worked like a charm and the web shield didn't make any noise ;D

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 10:26:08 PM »
Hi Logos,

What if they are inside a hidden iFrame link. What if you click on such an obfuscated URL as part of injected code.
Use your imagination, man. It is not going to appear as a link in your address bar or as a Google search query to give in (probably too large anyway), it is going to be abused by folks who could have it available "on the fly" because it won't appear suspicious because it was taken from a fun site. Such online services should be blocked by an av solution as being possible riskware. Well the use of it can be used to deliver malcode. Am I wrong?

pol

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 10:32:38 PM »
Use your imagination, man

hey thanks for the tip ::) ... allow me to add that I thought about the hidden possibilities...I just didn't mention it ::)

adding: there's a huge potential for malware, obviously...complete links appear in browsers' status bar when you hover your little mouse pointer over a link...so that's a warning already...if you looked ;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 10:37:22 PM by Logos »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 10:33:22 PM »
Lol, that's ridiculous!

Of course, if I saw a link like that anywhere, I'd think it was malicious anyway, regardless if it was or not.

I just had a really huge URL and mega strings stretching over 4 lines of wrapped text, and it was legit but ordinarily I wouldn't touch it with a huge stick.

Guess who it was from paypal, notifying me of a change to the User Conditions, etc. for a company like paypal that warns of phishing, etc. this is a huge (I know) blunder as far as building trust goes. Not only that but the huge/mega URL also redirected (blocked by the firefox add-on RequestPolocy) to another domain, totally crazy when you are talking about what is a financial site with all the ensuing risk of phishing.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
Hi DavidR,

But what webadmin of a hosting site allows for such an online anonymous service that could so easily be abused in various ways. What we saw as a risk at just a glance, they could not. Just folks operating on automatic, unbelievable!?! Totally irresponsable, because you learn young bloggers to obfuscate from the start, and as you said that is bad for the trust model, whereon security depends. I would like users to report these sites to WOT as possible dangerous,

polonus

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 10:51:23 PM »
hey guys, now that i think about it, I never pasted sunspider tests results in my posts because they seem to use URLS like that:
http://www2.webkit.org/perf/sunspider-0.9/sunspider.html

(the link you get after a test has completed is just huge; I think Technet (for forum posts) is also using URLS like that )
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 10:52:54 PM by Logos »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 09:53:07 PM »
Hi Logos,

What if we make a combination of a Funkyfied url and then make it huge:
http://funkyfilters.com/url/obfuscation/
This is the technique behind it and there are various tools to do this all automatically:
http://www.searchlores.org/tools.htm
specifically
http://www.searchlores.org/sonjas33.

polonus
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 10:00:14 PM by polonus »

Hermite15

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 10:24:50 PM »
Hi Polonus,

where do you find all these things... is there some kind of parallel internet run by anti-malware knights and during one of your secret meetings they allow you once in a while to leak some info ??? ;D
 I'm just kidding, your contribution here on Avast forums is really appreciated ;)

« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 10:30:12 PM by Logos »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 10:47:36 PM »
Hi Logos,

I can return that question, you also inspired me previous times big time. Well I remembered the lessons from the old reverse gurus like f.ravia, ORC+, woodman, and also you can do some packing and compressing javascript online (totally benign off course just for educational puposes) and then learn from some jsunpacking. It is like getting introduced in a line of thinking, you start to recognize the patterns, the malcode fragments starts standing out, you will know where to look. You are also developing in this direction. The common reason for it is to protect better,

polonus

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 04:47:35 AM »
Hello,

How about this one ? : http://www.hugeurl.com/?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

nmb
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 04:49:10 AM by nmb »