Author Topic: Windows is Shutting down...But won't shut down!!  (Read 7029 times)

Daris

Windows is Shutting down...But won't shut down!!
« on: April 22, 2010, 07:45:58 AM »
Every time I restart my computer or try to shut it down from, START BUTTON ... XP professional, sp3...It won't shut down, Unless I "disable Avast Until computer is restarted"  Anybody else Getting this problem? And any Suggestions?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Windows is Shutting down...But won't shut down!!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 08:09:37 AM »
Does it log off, and then log on OK, wihtout attempting a shutdown?
How many user accounts exist for this computer? Limited user/s or Administrator account/s?
What other security software is installed, and what AV was used before Avast?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 12:29:21 PM »
Every time I restart my computer or try to shut it down from, START BUTTON ... XP professional, sp3...It won't shut down, Unless I "disable Avast Until computer is restarted"  Anybody else Getting this problem? And any Suggestions?

Since when did this happen? Yesterday?
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

bong2x

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 12:45:15 PM »
 ;) This issue of 4.8 when you have multiple drive and your level of protection setting is high then it will not allow you to shutdown.

i suggest to upgrade avast to 5.0

Best Regards!!!

Daris

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 03:40:47 PM »
I am using Avast5, and have been using "Avast" for the past 2 years  This has been happening for about 1 week...also using Spybot which is usually off and unimmunizes, but to update and scan for logfiles and tracking cookies and repairs..I thought  It was the problem  so I uninstalled Spybot..Also I use Spywareblaster, Advanced System Care, Malwarebytes and Superanispyware for scanners...CCleaner, Eusing Registry repair, and Revo..Inernet Explorer 7 is set to default browser, but have Opera and Use Firefox with Noscript and Betterprivacy 99% of the time but to check email.....I click start.... Turn off computer .whether ...I click Restart or shutdown It goes to "Windows is shutting down"  and STOPS  ..I can wait for Hours and is still Shutting down...so I Hold the Power button to shut it down...Went to F2 and set all to default ...did scans with all Scanners  Including Avast Boot scan ...Not even a Tracking cookie was found....Also Use a Password for Avast program access..And yes It is set to High on all shields cause it is my main protection...This I will try lowering down also...I Uninstalled the latest version2.30 of CCleaner cause it had issues with Firefox..so I got 2.29 version back...I checked my Taskmanager processes and tried shutting most down except idle,explorer, and Task manager...If I disable Avast until next restart, shutts down fine...and reBoots fine...Sorry for the lengthy Info  but I tried almost everyting...open to any suggestions....Thanxs in advance for everyone's time.

Daris

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 03:52:37 PM »
Ohh sorry  I missed a few things...I am the Only User administrator...I did a recovery about 2 months ago..which originally came with Norton...I Used Revo on Norton and when I did, I made sure all leftovers for Symantek were done ..THAN I rebooted...But was fine than..Thanxs again..than I Installed Avast with my license which I keep n my email...

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 09:24:29 AM »
Do you use the latest build of avast? (5.0.507) If not please update.
Also there was a buggy vps update, that was fixed with vps 100420-1 and later.
If nothing else helps, you could try a clean install of avast from scratch.
1. uninstall avast.
2. use this in safe mode to clean up leftovers: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
3. reinstall latest version.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Daris

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 07:14:15 PM »
Sorry Guys, I didn' get back to you for a few days....I have the XP professinal with a partition so I put all my files on my D drive...And Put my recovery CD in ....That's why took awhile....All working like new..  but definately alot of work....Now that all is  done...I think what could have happened is I tried that Comodo Registry Cleaner for a few days....Not blaming them  but I think It is a little aggressive, and I might have deleted a registry key or 2 with it...I was probably missing a file or 2.....I usually know my computer prrtty good and there was nothing else I did and I had Avast with no problems fo a few years almost....Well Thanxs to all for their time and effort in trying to help..

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 10:40:22 PM »
Well Thanxs to all for their time and effort in trying to help..

No problem, good you got it fixed..!! :)
asyn