Author Topic: Possible bug @ AIS build 5.0.545 - please add your comments  (Read 9500 times)

ace11

my FW log is flooded with endless blocked connection.

Why ?

Pressing the "clear log" button [@ FW log screen] - Does nothing ! the blocked connection entries are not deleted.

A bug ?

Gargamel360

Re: Possible bug @ AIS build 5.0.545 - please add your comments
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 09:26:35 AM »
I think there are threads on this already, but mine does this as well, has since installed.  Harmless, if a little annoying ;)

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 04:32:24 PM »
Hi,
I must confirm that the "clear log" button does not work as expected indeed. It clears the "Firewall Events" only even when "Connections" are chosen from the drop-down. Sorry for that. Will be fixed in the next release.

About the log flooding - sorry for this as well. Others (mainly Logos and Rednose) have been reporting this for quite some time. These are indeed blocked packets, the problem is that they are logged in such a verbosity. We are still thinking about how should we change this to be more useful. This *is* annoying, I know.

You can disable logs alltogether by editing Config.xml file, in %appdata%\Alwil Software\avast5\fw\ folder. Set the value of LogNoLogos="1". Firewall must stopped when editing this file.

I know it is not a solution, but might be a temporary cure for the growing log file.
Lukas

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 05:03:56 PM »
Hi,
I must confirm that the "clear log" button does not work as expected indeed. It clears the "Firewall Events" only even when "Connections" are chosen from the drop-down. Sorry for that. Will be fixed in the next release.

About the log flooding - sorry for this as well. Others (mainly Logos and Rednose) have been reporting this for quite some time. These are indeed blocked packets, the problem is that they are logged in such a verbosity. We are still thinking about how should we change this to be more useful. This *is* annoying, I know.

You can disable logs alltogether by editing Config.xml file, in %appdata%\Alwil Software\avast5\fw\ folder. Set the value of LogNoLogos="1". Firewall must stopped when editing this file.

I know it is not a solution, but might be a temporary cure for the growing log file.
Lukas

okay thanks for the feedback, that's interesting so you're saying some packets are really blocked... ??? I got the corresponding connections running fine in my apps, and displayed properly in the firewall connection panel... or are these just "some" packets that are blocked, after analysis/filtering, because they're corrupt or else...and the rest of the flow is allowed...

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 05:42:44 PM »
Sorry to say, but I don't use the firewall and the sandboxing features right now.
Not because they are not good, but because they are not very good right now...
Some work has to be done and I'm sure it will be done shortly. I trust the devs..!!
So let's just wait for some time and avast will be the best (for all) again... :)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Gargamel360

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 05:50:18 PM »
Pardon a (possibly) stupid question, but will this bloated log cause problems if it is allowed to continue?

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 05:51:06 PM »
Pardon a (possibly) stupid question, but will this bloated log cause problems if it is allowed to continue?

NO

edit: @ Asyn: the firewall and the sandbox have been released way too early, I mentioned it when the first final release of Avast 5 came out, and even before that during the last weeks of the beta testing, those two modules were just not ready and they still aren't. The problem is that the AV part was...ready, and they obviously had to release the "paid" parts of the whole at the same time, for commercial reasons. But the timing was just not good imo. You don't release a suite when half of it is still at alpha/beta stage while the other half is already finalized. This said Avast is first of all an AV company and it was obvious that they'd be faster on the development of the AV parts...a complicated situation to say the least.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 05:58:18 PM by Logos »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 06:04:56 PM »

Well, it could eat up your ram, not saturated it would even crunch your CPU or trying to digest your harddrives, not stopping it there it could as well lead to disintegrating your whole system... ;D
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Gargamel360

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 06:49:22 PM »

Well, it could eat up your ram, not saturated it would even crunch your CPU or trying to digest your harddrives, not stopping it there it could as well lead to disintegrating your whole system... ;D
asyn

Ok I'll take it from Logos' emphatic NO and your use of "digest" and "disintegrating" that I'm worried over nothing :)  I'm just way over my head is all :-[  (1st time PC owner, only 4 months online)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 07:01:17 PM »
Ok I'll take it from Logos' emphatic NO and your use of "digest" and "disintegrating" that I'm worried over nothing :)  I'm just way over my head is all :-[  (1st time PC owner, only 4 months online)

As a 1st time PC owner, I have to concede you a good sense of humor... ;)
Way to go...! :D
asyn

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 10:58:19 PM »
Gargamel360, reading your sig you have learned a lot already ( Avast!, MBAM, Firefox ). My compliments :)

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 11:01:12 PM »
Gargamel360, reading your sig you have learned a lot already ( Avast!, MBAM, Firefox ). My compliments :)
Greetz, Red.

Yes, some are quicker/smarter than others... :D
asyn

Gargamel360

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 11:31:46 PM »
Greetz, Red.

Yes, some are quicker/smarter than others... :D
asyn

Aww shucks, thanks ;); Avast! Web Forum: Go from  ??? ??? ??? to  8) 8) 8) in 4 months, guaranteed!

fir3w4ll

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 12:01:28 PM »
Hi,

Lukas

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 12:18:29 PM »

edit: @ Asyn: the firewall and the sandbox have been released way too early, I mentioned it when the first final release of Avast 5 came out, and even before that during the last weeks of the beta testing, those two modules were just not ready and they still aren't. The problem is that the AV part was...ready, and they obviously had to release the "paid" parts of the whole at the same time, for commercial reasons. But the timing was just not good imo. You don't release a suite when half of it is still at alpha/beta stage while the other half is already finalized. This said Avast is first of all an AV company and it was obvious that they'd be faster on the development of the AV parts...a complicated situation to say the least.

Sandbox also?  Is this with 64bit?
Im using PC with avast! Free rather than one in signature below. Guess I should switch back over to using PC with avast! Pro.

edit - modified my sig.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:38:32 PM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.