Author Topic: No Updates Possible?  (Read 5182 times)

mak1965

No Updates Possible?
« on: May 09, 2010, 08:15:09 PM »
I have been using Avast FREE HOME VERSION  I think about 7 years, Always auto updated no problkem, Same Linksys Router, Same Computer Nothing has changed DSL from Verizon. I noticed that the Auto updates Stopped coming in So I started to use the software and initialize them myself, No problem, Oh here is a nice shiny version 5.0 I figured maybe just maybe this wouyld be great(been that way many years now). I tried 5 times installing, She runs nice, BUT now cannot connect to update AND I downloaded the files and that gave me an error? I Thouroughly cleaned the PC of ALL Alwil and Avast and still same thing! I know I am missing something The Software is great but What Should I do I am attaching a screenshot and the Small bow to the bottom right is the pop up I get when I downloaded the update and tried manually The background is the program eroor Thanks so much for anyhelp possible MK

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
Re: No Updates Possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 09:31:33 PM »
Hello mak1965,

I use the German version, so I don't know exactly the English setting-points,
but try the following in the settings:

Settings > Updates > Parameter:

only dial-up-connection (no)
permanent internet-connection (yes).

Hope, you know what I mean.

Otherwise anybody else must translate it in the correct notions for the English setting-points.

Good luck and give us a short feedback! ;)
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

mak1965

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 01:24:24 AM »
Tried the Default, nothing checked also, The permanent connection box , I have always had set to on? Thanks anyway!

mak1965

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 02:11:35 PM »
Do you mean everyone anyone here does not know about this problem? I sure hope someone sees this. Just turned on the PC and get the update error popup Something is really funny about this! Thanks MK ???

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 02:31:54 PM »
... The permanent connection box , I have always had set to on?

Yes mak1965, set the permanent connection box ALWAYS to ON!
This helped me, as I installed avast the first time a few weeks ago.

And set the "NO PROXY" box to ON, too (I mean, you should "say" the program, that you DON'T use a proxy!).

I hope, you find the setting-points, that I mean!
Sorry, but as I have written, my version is the German one, so that I don't know, how exactly the settings-points are named in English...

Good luck and kind regards! ;)
~SKY~
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 02:43:09 PM by ~SKY~ »
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

mak1965

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 02:48:03 PM »
I found older 4.8 and installed and autoupdate works just fine, Did NOT have to change anything in settings! Something wrong with 5.0 somewhere!

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 02:55:32 PM »
Hi mek,

I don't think, that there's something "wrong" with version 5, but SOMETIMES/ON SOME OS you have to change the default settings before you get an update!

I don't know, why it doesn't work correctly from the beginning with the default settings, sorry.

But now your system works with version 4.8.
That is actually o.k., isn't it? :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:07:08 PM by ~SKY~ »

mak1965

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 08:28:37 PM »
Yeah as long as It works! Avast in my opinion is a wonderful program, I have used it so long I would not change unless the old version stopped.. I feel that they know about these issues and will get it working eventually! I have faith in Alwil for sure! But the 5.0 don't work At all on this system, that has been running for over 5 years with Avast and no changes were ever made to the program at all?? Funny? No Not really! Thannks MK

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 11:17:13 PM »
Hi mak,

my "last" idea:

could it be, that a (your) firewall blocks the connection to the update-server and that you first must give this connection free, before an update is possible?

OK, I know, it's to late, because you installed version 4.8, but perhaps this idea could be the solution of your problem... ???