Author Topic: Slow down since upgrade to 5.0.545  (Read 4589 times)

jaymur

Slow down since upgrade to 5.0.545
« on: May 17, 2010, 01:37:01 PM »
I run Windows XP, and have Zone Alarm running as firewall (spybot and malwarebytes antimalware are also installed) and Avast! has always run very smoothly. Since the upgrade however, my system is running much more slowly than usual, and as its the ONLY new program recently installed I have to lay the blame at its door.
Web pages load more slowly than normal and I have to hit refresh a lot as 'page cannot be displayed' pops up a lot. Refresh fixes the issue but it should load instantly not make me refresh; I don't have a creaky old system :(
ZoneAlarm doesn't seem to be blocking Avast! at all, (I gave it full access on first request) and I can't see any other programs denying it access.
Does ver 5 not like XP or something? If I HAVE to I can upgrade to Windows7 but I'd rather not be forced to use a new OS if I don't have to (if it ain't broke...)
Thoughts?

YoKenny

Re: Slow down since upgrade to 5.0.545
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 02:58:23 PM »
Welcome jaymur

How much RAM does the system have?
What is the CPU type and speed?

jaymur

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 03:03:07 PM »
Disabling the behaviour shield module has given me back all my speed - btw my PC has 3GB (it has more but XP cant use it all) and its a quad core (Intel) Q6600.

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 03:06:20 PM »
You will love Windows 7 64bit especially on a quad core (Intel) Q6600.  8)

Behavior Shield works fine on my XP Pro system.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 03:08:22 PM by YoKenny »

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 03:06:37 PM »
Disabling the behaviour shield module has given me back all my speed - btw my PC has 3GB (it has more but XP cant use it all) and its a quad core (Intel) Q6600.

so leave it like this, I have it off too ;) if it was a major component of Avast5 here I would advise to troubleshoot a bit more but since it's just the behavior shield, almost useless on 32 bit and completely useless on 64 bit so far (this might change but when...), you're not going to miss anything essential.

ps: Q6600 has been discontinued for a while ;D (still available though at some retailers, for those addicted to the old 775 socket)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 03:13:11 PM by Logos »

jaymur

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 03:19:15 PM »
 ;D I think I will, still annoying it doesn't work the way it should and yes I know XP is getting a bit long in the tooth - I just find it too much trouble to reinstall everything just for an OS upgrade that I'm not bothered about right now. Thanks all.

wendythomson

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 06:26:34 PM »
I'm so glad that I found this post ;D  I'm having the same problem...I updated over the weekend to Avast 5.0...and it runs so slow that I can literally run into the kitchen and "hang for a few" before coming back to my home office.  It even takes a substantial amount of time to get my IE page to pull up.
I'm not very computer savvy...how would I disable the "Behavior Shield Module" in order to return to my normal speed?

Thanks in advance.

Saty

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 07:32:24 PM »
wendy,

Im not to sure how to disable the behavior shield permantly, but you can open the interface(right click orange ball) click on shields, click on behavior shield and click stop.

I hope this was what you were asking

Sat

wendythomson

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 08:13:20 PM »
wendy,

Im not to sure how to disable the behavior shield permantly, but you can open the interface(right click orange ball) click on shields, click on behavior shield and click stop.

I hope this was what you were asking

Sat

Thanks so much!  I disabled the Behavior Shield...it's back to running as fast as ever...yeah!
Thanks again ;D

Saty

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 09:15:31 AM »
your welcome wendy, Im glad it worked out for ya~grin~

Sat

Calusa

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 05:47:34 PM »
I was having the same problems and a kind user here ASYN suggested I try the beta, which I did. It seemed to help for a few days and then PC started slowing down again and load times of browsers etc took forever. CPU went up to 100 %. Most of the time it happened after returning from standby mode.

I have tried disabling the behavior module as suggested here and it seems to be the culprit. I am back at full speed now for 3 days and out of standby mode works good.

I thought I would post this for others since I have been struggling with the same issue.

I do not have this problem with windows 7 on my laptop, just the PC running vista 32 bit

Thanks

Saty

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 06:22:13 PM »
Thank you for the feedback Calusa, good to hear your back up and running.

Sat

gsaunders

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 04:38:40 AM »
EDIT:  Creating new post as I should have.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 04:47:22 AM by gsaunders »