Author Topic: Avast Insecure - Stopped service  (Read 5041 times)

gordofoo

Avast Insecure - Stopped service
« on: May 26, 2010, 07:05:38 PM »
I've tried de-installing with removal tool, cleaned the entire system... reinstall v5... and from time to time the tray bar icon appears with the warning sign...

I'm in windows XP SP3 and never had problems with previous versions... ¿what's the problem?

After a week with this issue i'm unable to fix it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Insecure - Stopped service
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 07:18:12 PM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.

And also, a full scanning with avast.
The best things in life are free.

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 07:24:01 PM »
would be nice to hear something from the devs finally...my system isn't affected but it's tens of new threads with this same issue crowding the forums ::) They're probably working on it but a post wouldn't harm would it...

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 08:17:36 PM »
Just do this and see if it works:

You may have to print the instructions, if you cant remember.

1. Download full setup files of version 4version 5 and aswclear-required later(Read how to). store in a place where you can find it later.

2. Disconnect from the internet and do not connect until all the steps of installation has been completed.

3. Remove avast 5 using control panel and clean up using the aswclear (- is a tool used to delete remains of avast - both files and registry entries. It should be run after uninstalling from control panel. Should be run in safe mode - read the how-to given previously).

4. Install version 4, restart.

5. Over 4, install v5, reboot if required.

Now it should be working, let us know.

nmb

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 08:48:16 PM »
would be nice to hear something from the devs finally...my system isn't affected but it's tens of new threads with this same issue crowding the forums ::) They're probably working on it but a post wouldn't harm would it...

I have seen lots of users on this forum with varying degrees of this issue and I am one myself, hope the Alwil team get in touch soon

ps my topic also details the extent it affects my system but it only causes issues with my web shield http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=59626.30

gordofoo

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 10:10:59 PM »
I'm really tired of deinstall, try installing version 4-after 5-after reboot, deinstall in safe mode, try with control panel...

This is a BIG an serious BUG for an antivirus, is not my O.S problem

I will return to use AVG