Author Topic: Avast is unsecured, can't fix  (Read 17321 times)

ark1993

Avast is unsecured, can't fix
« on: June 04, 2010, 10:11:03 PM »
I have Avast Free edition version 5.0.545
Recently, the program has stopped working, in the summary section, it states "unsecured" and when I click the Fix Now button or the Start Program button it appears to be loading something (cursor changes) but after that nothing changes. Any help on how to fix this? Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast is unsecured, can't fix
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 10:21:28 PM »
Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What element is it saying is unsecured ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

randunyogo

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 10:22:10 PM »
it probably got fixed but the summary page may not have been refreshed. did you click another tab and go back to the summary page to check?

ark1993

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 10:31:43 PM »
I've only had Avast installed as anti-virus, it's actually been working for quite awhile except recently, other anti-malware/ spy programs I have installed are: Spybot, SuperAntiSpyware, and HijackThis.

The program just says "Your system is not protected," is that what you meant by the element that's unsecured, or is there a way to get more details? Thanks.

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 10:39:08 PM »
What operating system and Service Pack level are you using?

I have not used Spybot S&D since using MalwareBytes (MBAM)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 12:18:01 AM »
I've only had Avast installed as anti-virus, it's actually been working for quite awhile except recently, other anti-malware/ spy programs I have installed are: Spybot, SuperAntiSpyware, and HijackThis.

Since you have had avast for some time I presume that you first had avast 4.8 ?
If so it might be worth doing a clean reinstall, see ~~~ below.

The program just says "Your system is not protected," is that what you meant by the element that's unsecured, or is there a way to get more details? Thanks.

No, that appears to be the Tool tip when you hover over the avast icon. Left click the avast icon and that opens the avastUI, Summary section, which gives more information on what area isn't working, Shields, Update process, etc.

~~~
- Download the latest version of avast, 5.0.545 http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ark1993

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 07:20:25 PM »
I completely uninstalled avast and reinstalled it and the program is working fine now, thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 07:45:20 PM »
You're welcome, glad that it is working now.

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 09:02:16 PM »
I completely uninstalled avast and reinstalled it and the program is working fine now, thanks!
DavidR the avast! Technical is great!

ark1993

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 05:00:30 PM »
So, I turned the computer off and the next day I turned it back on, I left the computer for awhile and the screen-saver came on, when I moved the mouse to resume the computer it just froze, so I restarted it and now Avast is unsecured again and the Fix Now button does nothing - basically I am back were I started when I first made this thread.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
When I open the Avast UI it says "Urgent: avast! service stopped. The avast! antivirus program has been stopped, or is in an inconsistent state. Please re-start the program to resume protecting your system." I click the Start Program button, the cursor changes to show the loading icon, and then nothing changes.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 08:17:34 PM »
ark1993, I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

ark1993

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 10:32:49 PM »
Okay, I reinstalled for the second time. It appears to be good now, but it was like this last time I reinstalled and then suddenly just stopped working again after my computer froze. I think I may be infected but I've removed some malware using anti-malware programs, I posted some logs on another forum that some people are going to review to make sure I'm still not infected. Anyways, I'll post back if I get any more problems with avast. Thanks for the replies!

wile_e

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 01:53:23 AM »
I just got the same problem. I have no other security resident programs except for Prevx 3.0 and Tune-Up Utilities 2010. Thirty minutes ago, I booted up, and noticed that Avast Internet Security was not enabled. Within five minutes, my system froze. So I had to do a hard reset. Now I can't get Avast to enable. It says ""Unsecured", Avast! Service Stopped. Please restart program to resume protecting your system."

I can't get Avast restarted. I don't want to reinstall Avast unless it is my last option, so don't even suggest that. It was running good for the past month or so. This is on a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit. Also when I click "Fix Now", Windows 7 UAC pops up a message to allow/deny three times. So I clicked "Allow" three times. I also went into "Services.msc" and tried to start the services myself, but they won't start.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 02:00:28 AM by wile_e »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 02:49:02 AM »
If you disable Prevx 3.0 and Tune-Up Utilities 2010, can you repair your avast installation through the Control Panel > Programs?
The best things in life are free.

SafeSurf

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 08:24:58 AM »
@ wile_e,

Before you repair avast, PrevX just did a new release to build 3.0.5.161, which may have been done silently when your problem developed.  Try doing a hard (cold) boot first and see if this fixes your problem first.

Also, make sure you have avast included in your PrevX Settings > Detection OverRide > Add OverRide to help avoid conflicts.

If this doesn't work, then disable PrevX and Tune-Up Utilities 2010 and see if avast works for you.  If not, then try doing an avast repair as Tech suggested.