Author Topic: Can I reinstall AVAST 4.8 please?  (Read 38667 times)

Graphicool

Can I reinstall AVAST 4.8 please?
« on: June 24, 2010, 04:02:25 PM »
Hi Guys & Gals
I just went from a system running like a dream to a catastrophe, in about 5 minutes. How did I do that? I downgraded AVAST Home Free 4.8 to AVAST Home Free 5. Is there anyway I can change back, System Restore doesn't do it?

I've been using the FREE AVAST for some years, without a hitch till now. This is what happened, I saw the 'Are you still using 4.8? well 5 is now available' and leapt right in! Right from the word go my PC went belly up. I couldn't get on line. I turned off AVAST and everything was just fine, except of course I didn't have any AV protection. So I turned it back on, but turned off all the shields. This too was fine, as on the face of it my PC was running as usual. But not however AVAST, because whatever it's problem is it's backfiring on itself, because it's unable to connect to the Internet to update the AV definitions. Everything else on my PC can connect without problem.

WinXP SP3.5 - SpywareTerminator - Ashampoo Firewall - Spyware Blaster     

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Can I reinstall AVAST 4.8 please?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 04:22:08 PM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Graphicool

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 04:33:27 PM »
Thanks for a quick response. I've made a note of the details, I'll give it a go tomorrow and post back. Cheers

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 05:34:53 PM »
Thanks for a quick response. I've made a note of the details, I'll give it a go tomorrow and post back. Cheers
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)
The best things in life are free.

Graphicool

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 11:40:34 AM »
Hi Tech

I did as you instructed, followed it to the letter. The result is as follows...

It was/is exactly the same as when I initially uninstalled 4.8 and reinstalled 5 myself the first time. Without downloading and running the additional utility...
ERROR: Cannot connect to server
Neither could I, untill I made the same changes I made when I installed it - without instruction - yesterday. Those were to the shields, as follows...

File System Shield - ON
Mail Shield           - OFF
Web Shield          - OFF
P2P Shield           - OFF
IM Shield             - OFF
Network Shield      - ON
Behaviour Shield    - ON

Either way my initial question stands 'Can I have 4.8 back please'
Because even with these changes, regarding...
'Update engine and virus definitions' & 'Update Program' AVAST is still saying...
Even though I now can!?

Regarding the move from 4.8 to 5. have you ever heard the saying...
'If it aint broke, don't fix it'. Well it wasn't, but now it is and sadly it looks as though I - as hitherto one of it's staunchest supporters - may have to say, 'It would seem that some good things have to come to an end'. Unless of course I can get 4.8 back?     

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 12:00:09 PM »
Which other security related software is running..?
The support for 4.8 will be ended rather soon.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Graphicool

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 12:09:36 PM »
Hi Asyn

Ashampoo Firewall - Spyware Blaster - SpywareTerminator

I only use Spyware Terminator's spy ware blocker. Even though it also has 'Clam Anti Virus' on board. Which I have disabled and have never used. But I am looking into enabling it now and giving it a trial run. Failing that I'll take a look at AVG. 

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 12:20:09 PM »
Hi Asyn

Ashampoo Firewall - Spyware Blaster - SpywareTerminator

I only use Spyware Terminator's spy ware blocker. Even though it also has 'Clam Anti Virus' on board. Which I have disabled and have never used. But I am looking into enabling it now and giving it a trial run. Failing that I'll take a look at AVG. 

Ashampoo FW is known to make troubles, so I would drop it.
I would also drop the 2 Spyware programs and replace it with Mbam.
Also get rid of any other resident AV, as this could also lead into problems...!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Graphicool

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 12:55:11 PM »
Hi Asyn

Thanks for your insight, opinions and suggestions. But I've been running this set-up now for a few years and quite frankly everything has been running like a dream. Never better. I may be classed as a 'Newbie' on this site, but when it comes to PC's I help and advise others. I think that your suggestion would be - pardon the pun - a sin.

Just because AVAST has decided to go down this road I don't see why the other cogs in an otherwise super engine should be blamed and/or be discarded. In favour of something, that on the face of it has had its day! Why am I saying this, because even when I tried turning off all three of the other protection ware, AVAST still wasn't firing on all cylinders and still couldn't connect to the internet?

Who should we choose next to be named and shamed, as being at fault. Perhaps the usual scapegoat, Microsoft Updates?!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 01:00:57 PM »
Hi Asyn

Thanks for your insight, opinions and suggestions. But I've been running this set-up now for a few years and quite frankly everything has been running like a dream. Never better. I may be classed as a 'Newbie' on this site, but when it comes to PC's I help and advise others. I think that your suggestion would be - pardon the pun - a sin.

Just because AVAST has decided to go down this road I don't see why the other cogs in an otherwise super engine should be blamed and/or be discarded. In favour of something, that on the face of it has had its day! Why am I saying this, because even when I tried turning off all three of the other protection ware, AVAST still wasn't firing on all cylinders and still couldn't connect to the internet?

Who should we choose next to be named and shamed, as being at fault. Perhaps the usual scapegoat, Microsoft Updates?!

You're welcome and try this... ;)
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=61045.0
asyn

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 01:02:19 PM »
From what you describe, it's pretty likely that your firewall is blocking avast! from the Internet.
So, have you tried adding the rules to permit such communication?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 01:12:03 PM »
From what you describe, it's pretty likely that your firewall is blocking avast! from the Internet.
So, have you tried adding the rules to permit such communication?

That's nearly impossible, igor... He's a pro. ;D
Sorry, couldn't resist... ;)
asyn

Graphicool

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 02:03:25 PM »
Hi igor

"From what you describe, it's pretty likely that your firewall is blocking avast! from the Internet. So, have you tried adding the rules to permit such communication?"

Thanks for your input, however it would seem that I didn't make myself clear. Either way, here it is again, in brief...

"even when I tried turning off all three of the other protection ware, AVAST still wasn't firing on all cylinders and still couldn't connect to the internet?"

As with you, the Firewall was my first thought, as a potential culprit too. The firewall is set up in such a way that when a new program is installed it always asks if it should be blocked or allowed. I told it to 'allow' then - when it couldn't connect - I checked to make sure. It was/is allowed. But even so, I now know catagorically that it can't be anything to do with any of my protection ware, for the reason I say above.

As yet I haven't uninstalled this latest AVAST although I have now disabled it. In favour of  SpywareTerminator's Clam AV. I have to have some protection while I wait and see if you guys can come up with anything to save the day.

Asyn thanks for the link, I'll give it a go. I'll have to keep my toes crossed, because I really don't want to have to lose AVAST.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 03:25:15 PM »
Asyn thanks for the link, I'll give it a go. I'll have to keep my toes crossed, because I really don't want to have to lose AVAST.

You're welcome..!
And don't worry, you won't have to lose avast, as we will lead you, if neccesary...
asyn

Graphicool

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
Another up-date

I tried again and this time it succeded in both downloading and installing. But don't cheer too soon, because sadly the outcome is no brighter than it was in the first place. We haven't moved on, we are in fact back to square one, as...
As before neither could anything else untill I adjusted the Shields, then...
But everything else can!!?