Author Topic: Need help: Avast "fix now" won't work  (Read 7432 times)

catgirl

Need help: Avast "fix now" won't work
« on: July 13, 2010, 03:22:56 AM »
Hi.  I need major help:(
Web Shield and Mail shield start button, plus "fix now" won't work.
I still have my download avest install file on my computer so I can reinstall it, but the problem is my add/remove option in my control panel wont let me uninstall avast.  It just sits on "please wait until the current program is finished uninstalling or being changed"
I know absolutely nothing about computers so please bear that in mind
Thanks in anticipation

catgirl

Re: Need help: Avast "fix now" won't work
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 03:30:44 AM »
Need to add a bit of further information
My computer had nearly stopped working, and I noticed the exclamation mark in my avest icon.  I managed to start the computer in safe mode, ran malwarebytes and it picked up and cleaned a 'rogue antivirus' thing.  I think that 'thing' must have turned off my avest.  Now I can't get avest back on or uninstall it

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 01:14:36 PM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

catgirl

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 05:01:24 AM »
Thanks for getting back to me.  I ended up taking my (it's actually my daughter's computer...I keep away from dodgy sites on mine) computer around to the computer fix it place, they called a couple of hours after receiving it and said that they'll have wipe the drive and re-install windows.  So when we get it back we'll be able to easily reinstall avast.
Thanks again for your response.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 05:19:26 AM »
Don't be hard on your daughter.
You don't have to be visiting a "dodgy" site to pick up an infection. (The chances are perhaps a bit better, though, just as in life.)

These days, any old site with compromised hosting software can harbour  a malicious file.  And there are a lot of such sites around.\

By the way, if something similar happens again, post here and wait for suggested fixes. There's a lot of infections that can be fixed by following the advice you might receive. Saves a trip to the geek shop, and $$ being spent...worth a crack.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 05:21:22 AM by Tarq57 »
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

mad_holly

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 07:34:39 PM »
I would like to thank tech for the information I had the same exact problem this morning. The safe mode worked just make sure you go into safemode with networking cuz I "duh" didnt the first time. Something attached itself to my avast and google chrome but this fixed the problem and prolly saved me $200 dollars which it cost me the last time  to fix this  machine :) and yes catgirl dont be hard on ur daughter anymore all she has to do is research for a project to pick something bad up :(  unfortunately   ppl dont have better things to do with their time....AGAIN MAJOR  THANKS TO TECH  you saved my day from being miserable!!!!!!!!!   :-*

itsjustme2

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 07:44:19 PM »
Thanks for getting back to me.  I ended up taking my (it's actually my daughter's computer...I keep away from dodgy sites on mine) computer around to the computer fix it place, they called a couple of hours after receiving it and said that they'll have wipe the drive and re-install windows.  So when we get it back we'll be able to easily reinstall avast.
Thanks again for your response.
Good Parenting  :P

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 07:57:41 PM »
I would like to thank tech for the information I had the same exact problem this morning. The safe mode worked just make sure you go into safemode with networking cuz I "duh" didnt the first time. Something attached itself to my avast and google chrome but this fixed the problem and prolly saved me $200 dollars which it cost me the last time  to fix this  machine :) and yes catgirl dont be hard on ur daughter anymore all she has to do is research for a project to pick something bad up :(  unfortunately   ppl dont have better things to do with their time....AGAIN MAJOR  THANKS TO TECH  you saved my day from being miserable!!!!!!!!!   :-*
All avast! users are always welcome. The happier the better :)
The best things in life are free.