Author Topic: avastUI fails to start as non-admin in win2k SP4  (Read 10190 times)

charly2010

avastUI fails to start as non-admin in win2k SP4
« on: July 17, 2010, 11:23:09 PM »
hello all,
my freshly installed avast5 fails to load avastUI when logged in as non-admin in win2k sp4.
It complains "Failed to load language dll [1033\UILangRes.dll]". This dll can be found in the directory Avast5\1031.
Taskmanager says that avastSvc is running.

I've already tried to give rights to anyone, w/o success.
Logged in as admin everything is fine.

appreciating any help
best regards
Charly
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 11:39:15 PM by charly2010 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: avastUI fails to start as non-admin in win2k SP4
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 12:06:53 AM »
Well, 1033 means English, 1031 German.
So, avast! is trying to load the English resource modules... did you install the German version only?

charly2010

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 10:40:48 AM »
Well, 1033 means English, 1031 German.
So, avast! is trying to load the English resource modules... did you install the German version only?

many thanks Igor,

that's the hint I needed!

However, there's still sth odd in the installation, here the steps I've done:

1. you're right, I've installed in german, as admin the german language avast starts fine, as non-admin it fails as described.

2. adding english in the avast setting (as admin) succeeded, as non-admin the english avast starts. Both 1031 and 1033 directories are present.

3. As non-admin I cannot switch language back to german, the drop-down-box is empty.

4. Now avast fails to start when logging in as admin, message: Failed to load language dll [0\UILangRes.dll]

5. remove and re-installing avast in english: ok

6. add german as admin: Language setup error 0x2000000A. 2nd try is ok then.
   Now same behavior as in 3. and 4.

7. remove and re-install in english only, register, then same behavior as in 3. and 4.

now all non-admin users seem to be ok, admin fails....

best regards
Charly

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 10:12:36 PM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

charly2010

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 02:32:13 PM »
hi Tech,
thanks for the reply, took some time for me to get this done...
I've removed avast as described before, however, not in safe mode.
So now using safe mode avast has been removed and installed again:

1. as admin: installing in german, selecting english additionally in custom mode install
2. as admin: avast starts in german, everything ok
3. as user: avast starts in english, everything ok
4. as user: try to switch to german, selecting language shows an empty dropdown box, avast still ok
5. as admin: user interface broken: Failed to load language dll [0\UILangRes.dll]

Remove and install english only has been ok then. I hope I remember NEVER trying to install the german language in avast!
Hint to the developers: there seems to be an issue when selecting the language as a normal user. Why is the select language dropdown box left empty?

best regards
CH

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 08:37:37 PM »
I have four avast languages: English, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal) and Spanish.
I need this to help users in different languages. Sorry, German is not my land. I wish I could even read it...
I have no problems with language switch. Although I only have an admin account in my computer.
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 01:18:28 PM »
I'm afraid I cannot reproduce the problem... everything works as expected.
Installed avast! (Free) on Windows 2000 in German with English module as well - everything is in German, switching works without any problems.

The point 3. should also appear in German - if avast! appears in English after user's logon (while it was previously in German on admin's logoff), something is wrong already.

Any custom access rights restrictions for the user's account? (I tried with the guest account)
Any special redirection of user folders (C:\Documents and Settings) on the system?