Author Topic: network sheild  (Read 10109 times)

Offline krypton

• Poster
network sheild
« on: August 22, 2010, 10:22:22 AM »
hello

i got 3 pop up msg today that threat deteted in network sheild. but when  i try to see network sheild logs, i cannot see any virus logged in it.

wat is wrong i cant figure out.
LAPTOP: LENOVO G50, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HARD DISK, AVAST PREMIUM SECURITY 2020, WINDOWS 8.1

SafeSurf

Re: network sheild
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 10:39:49 AM »
What version and product of Avast are you using and are your definitions up to date?

It appears from your first screen shot that Avast did it's job and warned you about the infected site.  You probably are not seeing any virus logged because Avast prevented you from getting one.  Did you go in the site regardless of getting the warning?

Offline krypton

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 10:47:15 AM »
i using avsat 5.0 free. yes it si updated daily

version is 100821-1

i did not visit any other site. i visit songs.pk or facebook

i visit those sites many times in a week but i not got pop up before.

i got pop up from yesterday.
LAPTOP: LENOVO G50, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HARD DISK, AVAST PREMIUM SECURITY 2020, WINDOWS 8.1

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 10:55:33 AM »
My question is once you got the Avast pop-up alert...did you then leave the web page?

Offline krypton

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 11:01:57 AM »
i did not leave any web page. i dont know from which site virus coming.

Altarir.

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 11:03:10 AM »
firewall is supposed to care about DCOM exploits and some other things like this(avast reports them because for some reason your firewall doesn't block them and avast has to do it instead of it). check your firewall

Offline krypton

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 11:06:52 AM »
my firewall is switched off by me bcoz it automatically updates evertime and makes me pc down.

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 11:06:58 AM »
I suggest you make sure your Avast definitions are up to date, then run a FULL Avast scan.  

If you have a 32-bit machine and you feel on the paranoid side (no offense, but if you want to be extra careful), you can a Boot-time scan.  If you have on-demand scanners like MBAM, you can update the definitions and also run a scan.

After running the scans from Avast, see if anything goes into the Virus Chest.  Do you have MBAM on your machine?

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 11:08:57 AM »
my firewall is switched off by me bcoz it automatically updates evertime and makes me pc down.
What firewall (FW) do you have?  You need to get a FW that works better with Avast than the one you have for better security.

Altarir.

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 11:10:54 AM »

uh yeah, thats why you see notification about the exploit. normally, firewall is supposed to take care of them(silently, without annoying you with notifications). if you don't like default windows firewall, find better one. Can't recommend anything here since I'm fine with default one, though.

Offline krypton

• Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 11:19:47 AM »
i dont have mbam in my pc.

see below my firewall

Altarir.

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 11:26:01 AM »
so you have default one. you can try ZoneAlarm firewall if you dont like default windows firewall. but firewall is needed in some cases, so having no/turned off firewall is pretty insecure.

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 11:27:28 AM »
What is your OS (XP SP?, Vista, Win7, other)?  You said you have a 32-bit.

You should turn your MS Updates on in your Security Center, or at least to notify you so you can do the update but not leave it off completely for better security.

Check your computer for malware with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM).
·   Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ for an on-demand scanner.
·   Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
·   After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.
·   Under Settings:
o   General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o   Scanner SettingsCheck all boxes
o   Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off
·   Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
·   The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·   When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·   Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·   The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
·   Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts -- Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process; If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

Do you have any questions?

SafeSurf

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 11:34:15 AM »
Altarir., there have been reported problems with ZA FW and Avast, so I am not going to recommend that at this time.  There are some that may recommend it, but for now krypton can turn on the Windows FW, which only offers 1-way protection which is minimal protection.

There are third-party FW's that do not conflict as have been reported with Avast such as Online Armor, Comodo (without the AV), PCTools Plus, and Outpost.  There is also the Avast IS available as well (not third party).  Once we know you don't have malware, krypton, you need to look into getting a FW.  OK?

Hermite15

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 11:35:36 AM »
yeah he's got windows updates turned off too...the guy is looking for troubles ::) ...@ the OP, windows firewall doesn't update, so you were probably saying that your OS crashes when winupdate is on and...attempting to update. Are you running a legit version of Windows?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 11:37:43 AM by Logos »