Author Topic: Need help please  (Read 4369 times)

JeffSmith

Need help please
« on: September 02, 2010, 03:07:00 AM »
Hello,
   I had multiple pop ups on my computer for malware protection.. i couldn't get them to stop. i have avast/superantispyware/and malware bytes. when i ran the software it destroyed   465 viruses and stopped the pop ups but my internet explorer will not work. luckily i have firefox on my flashdrive and can access the internet off it. i can play internet checkers but my internet explorer will not work at all. Can anyone help me? I am semi computer literate. Thanks n advance for any help provided. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Need help please
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 03:47:51 AM »
If a virus is replicant (coming and coming again), you could follow the general cleaning procedure:

1. Clean your temporary files. You can use CleanUpCCleaner or a deep one called Temp File Cleaner for that.

2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast. Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning. Select for scanning archives. Boot. Other option is scanning in SafeMode (repeatedly press F8 while booting).
If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.

3. It will be good if you download, install, update and run MBAM (or SUPERantispyware or even SpywareTerminator).
If any infection is detected, it is better and safer to send the infected file(s) to quarantine (Chest), rather than simply deleting them.

4. If you still detecting any strange behavior or even you're sure you're not clean, maybe it will be good to test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster for XP/Vista. For XP only: Panda.

5. Also, if you still detecting strange behaviors or you want to be sure you're clean, maybe making a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.

6. Browser hijacking and problems with antivirus update could be managed in some scenarios by cleaning the hosts file (at C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc folder). The file does not have an extention, it's simply hosts.
The default file consists of a number of example lines preceded with # The only required line is
127.0.0.1       localhost
You can get a good replacement with HostsMan that keep it clean (avoid infections) and updated: http://www.abelhadigital.com

7. After you're clean, disable System Restore on Windows ME, XP or Vista. System Restore is not available in Windows 9x and 2k. After disabling you can enable it again.

8. Use the immunization of SpywareBlaster.

9. Finally, when you're clean, check for insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector to update insecure applications and avoid reinfection.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 03:57:44 AM »
Probably a continuation of this thread, which remains incomplete.
OP, when you post asking for help, you need to see it through. Essexboy asked to see the follow up log from combofix months ago. You chose not to post that.
What makes you think this problem is any different?

The steps posted above by Tech might fix things, for now, unless you are dealing with a file infector, which is possible, in which case it will just come back.

It might pay to examine your download practices a bit.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

JeffSmith

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 04:13:54 AM »
If I am not mistaking I did post that combo fix fixed the problem. If not, I am sorry I didn't post that. That computer is still running fine. I have 6 computers, large family..This is a netbook that belongs to my daughter, she didn't have an virus protection on it for 5 months...I ran OTL on this computer but have no idea what I am doing with it. lol. I have the logs from the otl scan. AGAIN I WOULDN'T WANT TO DISRESPECT ESSEXBOY OR ANYONE HERE FOR THAT MATTER. YOU GUYS DO A GREAT SERVICE AND GREAT JOB. IF I HAVE MADE ANYONE MAD I AM SORRY AND WILL TRY NOT TO DO IT AGAIN. The reason this is such an emergency is that I have to have it fixed before tomorrow night. And as always thanks or the help guys.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 04:26:53 AM »
Not angry, the reason for the way I responded is that I looked through all your last posts, and this current one seems to be almost exactly the same as the earlier ones, and you've received some fairly good advice in some of those.

Have a look at the thread I linked, at the end of it is an unanswered request by Essexboy. So I haven't read that as disrespect, (and I doubt Essexboy would have either,) but simply as an indication of a casual approach to computer issues, which just makes it a bit more of a crap-shoot as to whether the helpers can actually help you or not.

Try the steps above by Tech.
No need to shout, BTW.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

anjana

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 06:30:20 AM »
Hello:
This might help
I had that same or similar virus. After I got rid of it, my internet explorer did not work either. It turned out to be something very easy to fix.
I guess because of the virus it changed the LAN settings. So go to tools - internet options-connections and click on LAN settings, make sure that" automatically detect settings" is  checked and that  under Proxy server "use a proxy server for your LAN" is NOT checked.
I believe the virus messes up that setting.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 09:11:05 AM »
Hello:
This might help
I had that same or similar virus. After I got rid of it, my internet explorer did not work either. It turned out to be something very easy to fix.
I guess because of the virus it changed the LAN settings. So go to tools - internet options-connections and click on LAN settings, make sure that" automatically detect settings" is  checked and that  under Proxy server "use a proxy server for your LAN" is NOT checked.
I believe the virus messes up that setting.

Good suggestion, I've just fixed a computer that had the same problem.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

JeffSmith

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 03:05:28 AM »
Hello,
    I want to thank everybody that helped. The LAN settings was my problem. Unfortunately I still have a few minor issues if anyone can help. When I start my computer, my icons do not show p on my desktop. If I restart windows once or twice they appear and my computer runs fine. Another issue is that I am getting error messages as soon as windows starts.The two i have noticed at this point are:
error loading C:\WINDOWS\uhuwipiq.dll also says the specified module could not be found.
the second error box that has popped up:
RUNDLL error loading C:\WINDOWS\msvcpti.dll the specified module could not be found

Any help with these 2 errors and why I have to restart windows several times to get my desktop icons to pop up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Jeff

anjana

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 03:35:59 AM »
Hello Jeff:
I'm glad that helped.
What i would do now is follow Essexboy instructions that he posted here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0 
and post all the logs after you are done. He will most likely see them and help you clear everything.
That's what I did and he totally fixed everything. He is in England so if you are in the US, be aware that they are about 9 hours ahead, so be patient and wait  for him to look at it and respond.