Author Topic: Sandbox  (Read 6138 times)

sdalgl72

Sandbox
« on: September 04, 2010, 01:31:00 AM »
Hi all,

As you can gather I am new to avast and currently trialling the Internet Security product to decide if I want and was wondering how many of you run your browser in the sandbox all the time or not?

Gargamel360

Re: Sandbox
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 02:03:01 AM »
When I first got it, I did.  But that was just my chronic NTS (New Toy Syndrome) in action.
I'm down to about 50% of the time now. 
New features in the current beta/next regular release, and 5.1 when it comes, might put me back to browsing virtualized full-time.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 07:18:51 AM »
Hi sdalgl72 :)

Yes, I sandbox my browser(s) all the time, except bookmarks, history and cookies. The ( current ) sandbox is very basic, but in Avast 5.1 there will be support for multiple sandboxes, a secure desktop and more :)

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

sdalgl72

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 07:57:46 AM »
Thats cool as I haven't got anything to download at the moment can you tell me what happens when you download something from the net while running in sandbox.  Also if I decide I don't need AIS am I right in thinking the Pro Version has the sandbox feature.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 08:26:49 AM »
The sandbox has a setting "Automatically detect default locations for saved/downloaded files and save files to these locations outside the sandbox".

About Avast Pro, yes it has the sandbox, but I don't think it is an interesting option because the licence is just for one pc. But AIS is a licence for 3 pc's, and if you don't want the firewall and/or the anti-spam simply don't install them ;)

Greetz, Red.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 08:29:19 AM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 02:19:04 PM »
Thats cool as I haven't got anything to download at the moment can you tell me what happens when you download something from the net while running in sandbox.  Also if I decide I don't need AIS am I right in thinking the Pro Version has the sandbox feature.
The Pro version does have the sandbox:
http://www.avast.com/comparison-chart#tab3

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 03:54:26 PM »
I have never felt the need to sandbox any of my browsers, Firefox (default) or IE8 (only used once in a blue moon) and the same for other browsers which I have tried periodically.

I run all internet facing applications, Browsers and email clients, etc. under restricted rights, using DropMyRights. This however is only available under winXP. By running using a limited user account would achieve the same thing (but not as flexible).

If you encounter malware whilst logged on as a user with administrator privileges the malware inherits those same privileges, which allows it virtually free reign to do as it wishes. Running using a limited user account or running your browser, etc. under DropMyRights greatly limits the potential damage by any malware that gets through your defences.

I also believe in having a robust backup and recovery strategy, so should you experience a problem (doesn't have to be virus related) you can employ that strategy to recovery from the problem. I use drive imaging software that exactly copies a partition/drive, etc. and run it weekly.

If I have a problem that is likely to take longer than 30 minutes to resolve, I restore my last backup image, which takes less than that time. I then restore any backed up volatile data files (downloaded files, .doc, .xls, emails, etc.) which I backup at least once a day. So no real loss at all and it means not having to employ another application to sandbox my browsers.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 01:33:39 AM »
I am running AIS in Sandbox all the time.

Not aware of any problems.
printed on 100% recycled bytes

sdalgl72

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 10:22:38 AM »
Cool I might consider upgrading then permanently.  However I have just had a thought if you download a virus or a fake av by mistake and the signatures don't catch it if its outside the sandbox won't it install fine?  I know its a silly example but its the best I could think of.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 10:24:15 AM by sdalgl72 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 04:18:54 PM »
Which is where my advice about running your browser in a limiter user account or dropping its rights and finally having a plan, a robust backup and recovery strategy comes in. Nothing is ever going to give 100% protection.

This strategy will stand you in good stead for any sort of problem not just virus infection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security