Author Topic: Sandbox: a problem with the location of saved/downloaded files  (Read 4114 times)

Diazruanova

Sandbox: a problem with the location of saved/downloaded files
« on: September 07, 2010, 05:32:29 PM »
Hi,

I am trying the trial version of avast Pro and  I discovered a possible bug with with the location of saved/downloaded files in FireFox:

1.- In the virtualization parameters, the "automatically detect default locations for saved...etc."  etc. box is ticked (ON)
2.- The default location is my desktop
3.- Sometimes (maybe half of the time and/or after a FireFox restart) the downloads are dropped correctly on the desktop
4.- Other times the downloads get stuck on I:\##aswSnx\private storage\web storage\image

Once I located that folder, I was able to retrieve the downloaded files.
This behavior appears also when launching the sand-boxed "Safe" mode of FireFox, so here we can discard other FF extensions interfering with the "sand-boxed" download process

I am using Windows XP SP3 fully updated and I am also using the letter "I" instead of the "C" for my OS disk thus the: I:\##aswSnx\...etc.

Thanks.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: Sandbox: a problem with the location of saved/downloaded files
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 06:48:41 PM »
Hello,
thanks for the detailed step-by-step description of the action... When FF starts in the virtualization mode, avast sandbox reads FF configuration file and sets up some exceptions based on it. I found out there might be a conflict if non-virtualized FF uses different download directory than the one configured in the virtualized FF. Is it that case? If both download locations are same, please send me (kurtin@avast.com) your prefs.js (from non-virtualized FF and virtualized FF).

Mine paths are:
- c:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\09rj21bf.default\prefs.js
- c:\##aswSnx private storage\webStorage\image\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\09rj21bf.default\prefs.js

Diazruanova

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 08:07:07 PM »
Done! check your mail

Diazruanova

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 08:59:24 PM »
Any news Pk?  ???