Author Topic: Does Avast 5 detect ZeuS.Zbot.aoaq banking trojan virus  (Read 22649 times)

shermans

Re: Does Avast 5 detect ZeuS.Zbot.aoaq banking trojan virus
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 10:40:12 PM »
So, after all that, the long and the short of it is that Avast! does not detect Zeus !  Why could someone not have said that in the first place, and it would have saved all this lengthy chat ?

All I wanted to know when I first asked the original question "Does Avast! detect ZeuS.Zbot.aoaq banking trojan virus" was does Avast! detect Zeus ?

How much easier it would have been just to say "No", instead of which I got a long winded technical dissertation which I did not need !  I now know that Avast! does not detect Zeus, that Zone Alarm's claims are therefore not unreasonable, and that Zone Alarm's extra security products may be worth considering if they can actually do the job that Avast! cannot.  As Left123 evidently concludes "If the exploit is not detected before it is executed, by the time the system meltdown begins to show symptoms it is probably already too late."
Thanks nevertheless at last. ::) ::)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 10:50:29 PM »
Do you have Zone alarm by any chance - as they have started a new scareware advertising programme - there is no such animal

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=75328

Offline Left123

• There Is No Patch For Human Stupidity.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Proud Community Member&Helper.
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 11:24:25 PM »
Do you have Zone alarm by any chance - as they have started a new scareware advertising programme - there is no such animal

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=75328

i hope this crap av will be deleted from the "map",it's lame what they do,THEY FORCE YOU WITH THEIR OWN WAY TO PURCHASE THEIR PRODUCT JUST TO HAVE PROTECTION  AGAINST PROBABLY THE WORST VIRUS EVER,it would be free!
AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+ - 2.20 GHz,3,00 GB RAM -
Browser:Mozilla Firefox +WOT - SoftWare:CCleaner - Windows 7 32 bit
No Anti-Virus

SafeSurf

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 12:24:30 AM »
Thank you Essexboy for sharing the za "scareware" information again.  I posted something similar in the original thread on the 4.0 / 5.0 page more than 12 hours ago with these and other users of za, but people were too emotional at the time and directed their anger at me instead.  I hope things have settled down at this point after reading the threads and educating themselves about this this situation.  Thank you.  :)

shermans

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 01:42:59 AM »
people were too emotional at the time and directed their anger at me instead. 
Nobody directed their anger at anyone.  I could not have been more diplomatic in my original question but you just would not answer the question that several other people also politely asked.  Instead, you kept dancing round the issue, which made everyone suspicious.  It has now been answered, and it is evident that Avast! unfortunately does not detect Zeus.  So please do not blame other people.  Thanks.

YoKenny

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 01:59:22 AM »
@ shermans
As you are a Newbie you should take advice from the avast Evangelists.

Recommended free antivirus software:
■ Avira AntiVir Personal – FREE Antivirus
■ AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
■ avast! antivirus Home Edition
■ Microsoft Security Essentials
http://www.malwarehelp.org/find-and-remove-zeus-zbot-banking-trojan-2009.html

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 02:02:22 AM »
people were too emotional at the time and directed their anger at me instead. 
Nobody directed their anger at anyone.  I could not have been more diplomatic in my original question but you just would not answer the question that several other people also politely asked.  Instead, you kept dancing round the issue, which made everyone suspicious.  It has now been answered, and it is evident that Avast! unfortunately does not detect Zeus.  So please do not blame other people.  Thanks.

It isn't quite so simple as that.

Avast has many different zbot/Zeus detections, the problem is that no one can equate what ZA are calling this ZeuS.Zbot.aoaq as there is no standard naming convention. So it could have many different aliases across all of the different AVs.

Trying to find what avast might be calling this (or any other AV for that matter) would require a sample to be sent to virus total with 43 different scanners and first see if avast and other AVs are detecting it and what other aliases are given.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

iga

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 02:55:33 AM »
Hey guys

Done some looking up on this virus it is a bad one alright
it's hard to detect.
I have a few security apps that I scan my PC with the more the better

Avast 5
ThreatFire
SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition
A-squared or the new one Anti-malware free
Malewarebytes Anti-Malware

The way I look at it if one does not detect something bad maybe one of the other security apps I have might.

I also have KeyScrambler free for firefox it encrypts your keystrokes deep in the kernel so it defeats known and unknown keyloggers by giving them "scrambled," logs!!!

Here is the link for anyone that would feel a little bit safer have there keystrokes encrypted.

KeyScrambler free http://www.qfxsoftware.com/index.html

Lets hope Avast can do something about this.

iga

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 03:39:51 AM »
The one thing that I don't see mentioned in your list is a a hard drive imaging application, if all else fails you have to have a fall back and system restore simply isn't up to the task.

Yesterday whilst doing a little testing I trashed my system, wouldn't reboot missing hal.dll and no doubt lots of other stuff but without hal.dll you can't get in. I broke out my Drive Imaging application Boot CD and fired it up, 30 minutes later I'm sitting working at my system again. I do a weekly image back-up of my primary hard disk partitions (and the last one being 3 days before) and I do daily (of more frequently) back-ups of volatile files, like emails, bookmarks, documents, etc.

To cut a long story short my loss was negligible and 30 minutes of time. I bought this software many years ago, it still works great on my XP Pro system and has more than paid for itself over the years.

If you don't have a back-up and recovery strategy, you could be in a world of hurt.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dulait

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 04:14:46 AM »
Just a quick suggestion to anyone who may be concerned about a possible infection (and I don't intend for this to spiral into a Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux argument  ;D )....

You can download and use a live CD / USB key version of Ubuntu.  You can even set it up so that it's NOT persistent (i.e. it won't save any changes on logout) and that way you can always be assured that you'll always have a "clean" OS to do your banking or any other "critical" things.

Just my two cents....
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 04:20:55 AM by dulait »

tanya

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 08:47:11 AM »
So not being infected is the main concern then? Hope it's easier to detect that...thing.

Instead, you kept dancing round the issue, which made everyone suspicious.

LOL, dramatic. Calm! ;D

Avast! actually got Zeus in it's definitions. The thing is that this virus keep changing form.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 09:16:56 AM »
quote from Shermans
It has now been answered, and it is evident that Avast! unfortunately does not detect Zeus.
How  do you know ? what version is that

ZeuS and Its Continuing Drive Towards Stealing Online Data
http://threatinfo.trendmicro.com/vinfo/web_attacks/ZeuS_and_its_Continuing_Drive_Towards_Stealing_Online_Data.html

Since 2007, Trend Micro has been monitoring the ZBOT family. The number of ZBOT detections has substantially grown over the years. To date, Trend Micro has seen over 2,000 ZBOT detections and the numbers continue to rise.

Time to Revisit Zeus Almighty
http://blog.threatexpert.com/2009_09_01_archive.html

One way or another, the wave of new Zeus/Zbot samples being distributed every day is alarming. It's kind of an "attack of the clones" when multiple modifications of the bot are being produced in-the-wild, packed and encrypted on top with all sorts of packers, including modified, hacked, or private packer builds. Before being released, every newly generated and protected bot is uploaded into popular multi-AV scanner services to make sure it is not detected by any antivirus vendor. Hence, quite a bit of a problem in terms of its distribution scale.

Offline Left123

• There Is No Patch For Human Stupidity.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Proud Community Member&Helper.
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2010, 09:25:59 AM »
why do you keep posting av's to remove zeus?1-2 days is enough to steal your "whole life" ^^,format just to make sure that this piece of destruction has rly gone ;D
AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+ - 2.20 GHz,3,00 GB RAM -
Browser:Mozilla Firefox +WOT - SoftWare:CCleaner - Windows 7 32 bit
No Anti-Virus

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2010, 11:43:40 AM »
why do you keep posting av's to remove zeus?
and  what AV have i posted to remove Zeus   ???

most people would understand that i am posting ZEUS INFO that just happens to be on Trend Micro`s web
but you did not read it...did you...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 06:03:19 PM by Pondus »

Altarir.

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2010, 01:33:14 PM »
I now know that Avast! does not detect Zeus, that Zone Alarm's claims are therefore not unreasonable, and that Zone Alarm's extra security products may be worth considering if they can actually do the job that Avast! cannot.

Wait, what? You believe some dumb scammy popup from some weird firewall? Now this is funny.

oh, and zonealarm SUCKS if they need stupid popups with fake warnings to make people buy their products.