Author Topic: Still having trouble with FLASH and FireFox with SandBox  (Read 4750 times)

gehirn

Still having trouble with FLASH and FireFox with SandBox
« on: October 31, 2010, 04:52:23 AM »
Still having trouble with FLASH and FireFox with Avast SandBox.  It works most of the time.  However for some reason it doesnt load flash plugin to the browser.  Same thing happens with Chrome.   

Also sometimes Chrome doesnt load up it is usually when Firefox is having the flash plugin problem.   A rebooot fixes it.   I have trouble with it on my two machines.  Both Windows 7 x64 PRO.   Systems are AMD PII x4 965 and the other is AMD PII x6 1090T.

I have to say though.  Sandbox feature with AVAST is worth every penny.  It truly stops all web viruses and junk that clogs up the browser.  You get a free clean browser everytime.  However sometime too clean no FLASH :(

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Still having trouble with FLASH and FireFox with SandBox
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 06:34:12 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
Do you happen to use the NoScript add-on in Firefox? I'd imagine that disabling that might better enable flash to run. Sandboxed or otherwise.

What AV was installed on the machine/s prior to Avast (including any OEM preinstalled av.)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

MAG

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 09:57:48 AM »
I agree - flash doesn't always load with FF sandboxed - whether  or not noscript is enabled. It is worse with W7 than with XP on my

machines. It's better than it was though, and maybe the next release will bring another improvement.

(I'm not sure what you mean about "stops all web viruses and junk". As far as I know (and I could easily be wrong) the sandbox

doesn't block anything. If viruses are being blocked I suspect it would be the webshield or fileshield doing it. The sandbox just

makes sure any unblocked malware stays in the browser, and so is removed when the browser closes (as I understand it)).

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 08:16:17 PM »
I can confirm that, we know about it.
Only 64-bit OSes are affected - sometimes flash isn't really loaded, this will be fixed.

gehirn

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 01:41:21 AM »
So what's the ETA on the fix? Is there a beta floating around that fixes it? Both these computers were built by me with a nice clean installs Windows 7 X64 pro, OEM builders.  Avast was the only thing installed as far as virus scanner.  Malwarebytes (free) is also on both of them, but not the realtime scanner just the free one.  Wanted to see how clean avast sandbox kept me. :)

As far as my blocks everything comment.  Well I just mean what you said.  You get a clean slate if you pick up an ugly website virus once you close the browser.  No current virus scanner blocks completely those darn malware/virus you can get just by visiting an ugly site.  I fixed a computer that went to a scrap-booking website and it got nailed by a malware/virus.

NatlGuardWife

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 03:00:06 PM »
I'm wondering about the ETA on that, too, as I just installed Avast! yesterday and would stick with it if I could get Flash to work.  I'm running short on time with a project that is heavily reliant on Flash.

Thanks! 

Esther

kvjjn1o

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 04:35:09 PM »
I was having this same problem and was able to temporarily work around it by creating a Plugins directory under Firefox in AppData/Roaming/Mozilla and copying the NPSWF32.dll into it. It's located somewhere in the Windows directory. This also worked for me for other plugins having intermittent problems running in Sandbox mode in a 64bit Windows 7 install. Just find the appropriate dlls and copy them. But it doesn't work for Java. For Java I copied the entire Java install into the "Program Files" directory rather than "Program Files (x86)" and that seemed to help. But the Java plugin still seems to sometimes not load in the sandbox.

_Rej_

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 09:03:17 PM »
I was having this same problem and was able to temporarily work around it by creating a Plugins directory under Firefox in AppData/Roaming/Mozilla and copying the NPSWF32.dll into it. It's located somewhere in the Windows directory. This also worked for me for other plugins having intermittent problems running in Sandbox mode in a 64bit Windows 7 install. Just find the appropriate dlls and copy them. But it doesn't work for Java. For Java I copied the entire Java install into the "Program Files" directory rather than "Program Files (x86)" and that seemed to help. But the Java plugin still seems to sometimes not load in the sandbox.

I'm **still** having issues with Flash sometimes *not* loading when using Firefox 4 (or 3.xx) in a sandbox.

I've tried the trick shown in the quote above and will see if it fixes it temporarily.  But this issues has been going on for months if not more.

Is there any ETA on a permanent fix for this?

OR... has it been fixed but somehow my setup is bugged?  Or do other people still suffer from this glitch?

Using Win7 x64 Home Premium.

P.S. doing a brand new install tomorrow or next monday (new PC) so I'll come back to confirm the problem still exists or not on new setup.