Author Topic: yellow triangle over avast  (Read 8077 times)

Offline sandy55

yellow triangle over avast
« on: November 11, 2010, 06:58:45 PM »
I upgraded avast last wk that was tricky had to take my computer out for some help so apparently it is working.
Now every time I turn on my computer there is a yellow triangle over avast and it is turned off I had this problem before the upgrade too. 

Why is avast always off when I turn on my computer?
win 8.1 (64) avast version 18.5.2342(build) 18.5.3931.0 apparently this is Premier version according to an internet search on that version number above.. tho it does not state this in about or any other place on my computer...

Gargamel360

Re: yellow triangle over avast
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 07:24:44 PM »
Does the yellow triangle go away on its own after a short time?

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 07:31:41 PM »
Sure would be helpful if sandy55 updated their profile so that the helpers could offer pertinent advice.

Offline sandy55

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 07:36:07 PM »
Yes it does go away but it does take quite a long time. I take it this is ok then.  I do not know how to update my profile I am trying to figure it out  :-\
win 8.1 (64) avast version 18.5.2342(build) 18.5.3931.0 apparently this is Premier version according to an internet search on that version number above.. tho it does not state this in about or any other place on my computer...

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 07:41:50 PM »
I take it this is ok then.  I do not know how to update my profile I am trying to figure it out  :-\

How much RAM does the system have and what Service Pack level  is XP
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 07:43:57 PM by YoKenny »

Gargamel360

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 07:48:52 PM »
Yeah, it happens usually to those on older PC's. 

I have seen this on these forums many times, and on a friends old Emachine w/ XP.  It is an annoyance, but a harmless one.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 08:05:14 PM »
Yes it does go away but it does take quite a long time. I take it this is ok then.  I do not know how to update my profile I am trying to figure it out  :-\

Whilst you have the yellow triangle displayed over the avast icon, left click on the avast icon. That will display the avastUI, Summary and that will show what elements aren't running ?

I suspect it will only be the web shield and mail shield.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline sandy55

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 08:26:24 PM »
I take it this is ok then.  I do not know how to update my profile I am trying to figure it out  :-\

How much RAM does the system have and what Service Pack level  is XP
I have no idea how can I find out?

Offline sandy55

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 08:28:29 PM »

Whilst you have the yellow triangle displayed over the avast icon, left click on the avast icon. That will display the avastUI, Summary and that will show what elements aren't running ?

I will check next time I turn on before I upgraded the entire avast would be shut down just got my computer going since the upgrade so I am not positive now.

Offline sandy55

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 08:33:17 PM »

I just took a look in the snoop free log to see if I could find where that key hook message came from they really don't show much as far as a log that I can see.  However I took a look at the processes it was restricting it said avast hmm could this be why the avast program is slow to start.

I could not copy anything from this page but typed out some this is part of it:

Program Name            Restircted
OCR Aware (32-bit)      yes
Google Chrome           yes
Quick Time Player       yes
NTI CD &DVD Maker       yes
Internet Explorer       yes
Spybot                  no
Install Driver          no
Install shield          no
Avast anivirus          yes
Basic Functionality Module- no

Offline sandy55

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 08:51:58 PM »
anyone???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 10:25:51 PM »
You don't want the program restricted in any way as it needs to be running quickly to provide resident on-access protection.

You don't want to restrict any OS process or security application at boot, only non-essential applications should be considered.

Personally rather than restrict something I would look at having it not start on boot (in the program settings you can disable start on boot). The first 5 programs that you listed I would consider non-essential.
OCR Aware (32-bit)      yes
Google Chrome           yes
Quick Time Player       yes
NTI CD &DVD Maker       yes
Internet Explorer       yes

1. who needs a browser when you first boot, start it when you need it.
2. who needs a media player until they play a media file.
3. who needs a CD/DVD maker until they are going to burn a CD/DVD.
4. who needs an OCR application until they are going to convert an image to text.

All of these non-essential applications will contribute to slowing boot times.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 10:30:40 AM »
I agree with DavidR regarding deleting the nonessential items on Start Up.

So no one bugs you in the future after you resolve this problem, here is how to update your profile:

Go to PROFILE on the top of the main forum page > Modify Profile > Forum Profile Information > Signature.  Enter information about your system like the Operating System (OS), RAM, browser, security software, what version and product of Avast and firewall you use and other items you wish to mention.  See our signatures as an example.  The purpose of this is so that we can offer pertinent advice.  Thank you.  :)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 10:40:14 AM »
http://my.opera.com/rejzor/blog/slow-windows-xp-sp3-startup-with-net-framework-4

This could be the case as i've had similar symptoms. Though yellow triangle can also stay there for longer periods for other reasons as well.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

dansorin

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 12:05:30 PM »
I have the same issue. I can confirm the web shield and mail shield are starting a little bit delayed. this is no problem for me, since the pppoe connection also needs some time to be established.