Author Topic: Webshield blocking internet access  (Read 11535 times)

AGray

Webshield blocking internet access
« on: November 20, 2010, 09:14:14 AM »
I have been using Avast for years now and this is the first time I have had any issues with it.
I installed the latest version of the free version of Avast anti-virus on a new computer I just finished building for my wife. For whatever reason the web shield seems to be blocking any form of web-browsing through both firefox and IE 8. This is a fresh, less than one day old install of XP pro.

Avast version is the latest free 5.0.677
Windows XP- fully update with all the latest SP's and security updates
So far only using the windows firewall (disabling the entire firewall does not fix the issue)
Only other program running is ad-aware, also with all the latest updates.

I searched and found a number of other threads about this same issue but none of the solutions I found were of any help. Any assistance is appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 09:17:18 AM by AGray »

SafeSurf

Re: Webshield blocking internet access
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
Hello AGray and welcome to the forum.

Did you reboot after installing Avast?  Is the rest of Avast working properly?

What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including antivirus (AV), firewall (FW), and other security programs?  If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or another way)?

BTW, I would uninstall ad-aware since this has become obsolete years ago and was replaced with MBAM (Malwarebytes) free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (the blue button), which most of us use here.

AGray

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 09:43:17 AM »
Yes I restarted. There have been multiple restarts, uninstalls using the avast utility reinstalls and more rebooting. The only other security related program is ad-aware, no other AV or firewall programs have been installed.

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 10:27:50 AM »
Please uninstall ad-aware via the vendor's uninstaller's tool.  Since support for this software stopped in 2007, you will most likely need to run CCleaner afterwards to remove remnants.  As I said in an earlier post, you can later replace this obsolete software with MBAM, which most of us use.

CCleaner, a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool.  There is a Slim version available as well at http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds - 4th options down.  It removes unused files (cache, temporary Internet files, etc.) from your system, allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.  It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history.  Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner (I suggest making a back up as a "just in case"). You will need to run both the cleaner and the registry cleaner after uninstalling ad-aware, then reboot.  Most of us also use this software as a cleaner as well.

Next try the Winsockfix Utility:
Windows XPhttp://majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.htmlReboot.

If this fails to fix the problem, please try an Avast Repair:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

Have you made any changes to the default settings of Avast since you installed it?

Please check the following to check the settings:
Open Avast GUI > Settings > Updates >

A. Engine and Virus Definitions: 
  - Automatic Update (default)
  - For “Manual” or “Ask When Update Available ” > Settings > Status Bar > Uncheck the last box

B. Update Parameters: all boxes unchecked (default)
   - If you use DSL, you may want to set #2 above to "My computer is permanently connected to the Internet."
   - If you use dial-up, you will want to use #2 above to "I only connect to the Internet using dial-up modem."

C. Proxy Settings: Auto Detect using IE Settings (default)
   - Some people have found that using "Direct connection / No Proxy" have worked for them.
   - Use "Specify Proxy Server" if you use a proxy and complete the information below it for the proxy server > click "OK."

Please let me know if or what of these suggestions help, or if you have any questions.  Thank you.

arizhel

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 01:58:29 PM »
I am having exactly the same problem on my Windows 7 machine. Mail shield is also blocking all mail transmission. I have scanned for viruses and have found nothing. I do not run AdAware and never have on this machine. Help me too please?

Thanks,
Jen

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 06:38:52 PM »
I am having exactly the same problem on my Windows 7 machine. Mail shield is also blocking all mail transmission. I have scanned for viruses and have found nothing. I do not run AdAware and never have on this machine. Help me too please?

Thanks,
Jen

That's a completely different problem.. ;)
Please open a new thread for your problem..!! We'll help you there, don't worry.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

AGray

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 06:54:14 PM »
@SafeSurf, I tried all of your suggestion and nothing worked. Even with no other security software loaded on the machine, no firewall, anti-virus or anti-malware programs loaded, it is still having the same issue with webshield blocking internet browser access.

PS where are you getting your info about ad-aware no longer being supported? I have been using since before 2007 with full support and updates past 2007. Just to be clear I am using the latest version published by Lavasoft.

ainnyc

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 08:25:42 AM »
I had a similar problem. At first since Avast! wasn't working I tried uninstallling and reinstalling a previous version but this had no effect. I was using the latest version of IObits Advanced Care System Free v v3.7.2 and had pressed the Network monitor button. I had to uninstall it before Avast!'s webshield would work again. Not badmouthing the company. I have had no compatibility problems with IObit's Security 360. Well none so far.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 09:18:25 AM by ainnyc »

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 09:46:49 AM »
@ AGray,

The information I received that you asked about is through a search as well as troubleshooting for numerous users.  Perhaps you have a different version from others.  Either way, I still suggest as at least a TEST to uninstall ad-aware to see if this fixes your problem.

Are you sure you did not have any other security programs, even trial versions on this machine in the past?

Since the Avast Repair did not work for you, I would suggest an uninstall and clean install of Avast:

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.677) for the version you need and save it to your HDD:
Freehttp://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free_eng.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD.
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy for Free:
    Free – http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Please let me know if this resolves your problem.  Thank you.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ ainnyc,  Please do a forum search and you will come up with results that may surprise you regarding IObit and Advanced Care System (ASC).  Thank you.

ainnyc

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 06:04:25 PM »
Thanks for the Heads up Safesurf. I guess I am lucky not to have had problems before this. I will check out some of the alternatives mentioned on this board.

AGray

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 07:45:09 AM »
Unfortunately no. Those are all things that I tried already. I have booted into safe mode to remove it, tried it several times, reinstalled with the freshest version 5.0.677. As I said before this is on a fresh install of xp, less than an hour old when avast was installed. It was the first piece of security software installed and the problem started immediately upon avast being installed with no other security, or even any other programs aside from drivers having been installed at that point. I did try uninstalling ad-aware just to check but it proved fruitless. I'm beginning to think this may just be due to some gremlin with this particular machine. I even called Avasts tech support number and they were unable to figure out the issue (not that I have much faith based on my experience with them).
I thank you for the suggestions but this is beginning to become seriously frustrating for me as I can figure out neither the mechanism for the issue nor a solution.

Offline PureITy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 09:34:54 AM »
I'm having exactly the same problem on 2 new builds of Windows XP Home. All updates have been applied to Windows. No other security software has been installed. I could happily browse the internet with IE8 prior to downloading and installing Avast Free (5.0.677) Engine and Virus definitions 101121-1.

Done all of the suggested fixes, nothing worked.

Any help would be appreciated.

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 09:44:49 AM »
@ AGray,

I can sense your frustration and I want to help you.  It could be that a driver or some other unknown variant is causing an issue.  I'd like you to submit a mini-dump file directly to Avast to analyze:

Here is additional information on how to invoke a memory dump file:  http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71.

Please, zip and upload the C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file to this anonymous ftp server and name it uniquely: ftp.avast.com/incoming.  Avast will analyze it and respond back to you either in this thread or your email.  Please let us know the results.   In the meantime, I will continue to support any issues you may have.  Thank you.

SafeSurf

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 09:51:17 AM »
@ PureITy,

Since I have asked the OP to create a mini-dump file and Avast will now be involved in this thread, I am requesting that you please start a New Topic of your own as this will just confuse the current thread and we will happily help you there.  You can cut and paste your original post to make it easier for you and refer to this original thread as things you have attempted to do to fix your problems in your new thread.

Go to this link, http://forum.avast.com/index.php, scroll down to the Avast Free/Pro/Suite forum and click it, click the New Topic button at the top of the list and post there.  I thank you very much.  :)

CUWSO

Re: Web Shield blocking internet access
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 11:29:43 AM »
Hi, I also have been using Avast for a long time and now the only way to to get on the web is to turn off web shield completely . I have tried to isolate the settings in web shield and the only way is to turn it off completely. I have uninstalled Avast and reinstalled but still the same problem.I think that this issue is to to do with Avast.I Was looking to upgrade, but don't want to find the same problem. This is with IE, FireFox and chrome.