Author Topic: Windows Live Mail configuration & Avast settings for GMAIL account  (Read 16546 times)

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Windows Live Mail configuration & Avast settings for GMAIL account
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 06:08:54 AM »
The way I think of it is that Avast is the middle man. Your email provider communicates with Avast using ports 993 (imap) and 465 (smtp) (encrypted) then Avast communicates with your email client (Windows Live Mail) using ports 143 and 25 (unencrypted). 143 and 25 are the Avast defaults for imap (incoming) and smtp (outgoing). No need to change the default redirects since gmail uses standard SSL ports.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 04:12:38 PM by Charyb »

balm

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 04:48:08 PM »
i like that explanation....

ok so the redirects are just the standard ports (in this case)  for Avast-Email client communication.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 05:09:58 PM »
Yes. If you delete these defaults or change them you will render your webshield and mail shield useless.

This was in the help file:
Redirect Settings

These settings allow you to specify which ports are used for your email and web communication, if the standard ports are not used. This is important to ensure that your emails and web browsing are monitored by avast!, regardless of which ports are used.

For the web, avast! normally expects all communication to take place through port 80 and everything else is ignored. If you use a proxy server to access the internet and you want the communications between the proxy server and your computer to be scanned, you should enter the port which is used to connect to the proxy server. You should only enter the ports for HTTP traffic, not for ICQ, DC++ etc. For mail, the default ports are the standard port numbers for the four basic email protocols. If you use a different port (or ports), they should be entered here. Multiple port numbers should be separated by commas.

Ignored addresses - here you can enter server addresses or ports that you want to exclude from scanning.
Ignore local communication - if this is checked, avast! will not scan communication between applications running on your computer. Unchecking this box will result in local communications being scanned, which may slow down your computer slightly.

Have you upgraded Windows Live Mail to 2011? I did and reverted back. Didn't like the cluttered interface. To me, it was one big sloppy mess. I like the 2009 version much better because of this. If you intend to upgrade it or already have done so please let me know what you think of it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 05:12:23 PM by Charyb »

balm

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 06:11:11 PM »
edit:- do you know why i have #25 in both places for my "sympatico.ca" account (in Avast SSL accounts, and WLM client), will this work as normal...?

- i just set up on WLM (2011), i think i used to use Windows Mail (its been a while), and i loved it!

but now im getting to hate WLM, im not quite sure why, but it seems like in simplifying it they made it more obscure to use...make any sense ? - just google WLM and you will see a lot of negatives
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 06:15:15 PM by balm »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 07:08:14 PM »
I googled sympatico email settings because I had questions concerning the same host names for both incoming and outgoing mail. Also, wanted to know which ports. Does this look familiar? I can't test it because I don't us sympatico.

http://internet.bell.ca/index.cfm?method=content.view&content_id=1067
The following information is from the link above.

Incoming mail server (POP)
POP Server: pophm.sympatico.ca
Port: 995
User name: Email address (e.g: jsmith@sympatico.ca or jsmith@bell.net) and password (e.g.: a123456z)
SSL: Be sure to select the “this server requires a secure connection (SSL)” or “use SSL (Secure Sockets Layers)” option

Outgoing mail server (SMTP)
SMTP Server: smtphm.sympatico.ca
Port: 25 (or 587 if port 25 does not work
Authentication: Yes User name: Email address (e.g: jsmith@sympatico.ca or jsmith@bell.net) and password (e.g.: a123456z)
TLS/SSL Required: Yes (select TLS if available, if not, select SSL)

Under smtp in avast ssl accounts use port 587 (not 25). The above also states to use TLS if available. It seems there are problems with using port 25. Type in the host names as shown above for pop and smtp. Leave your email client (Windows Live Mail) exactly as you have it.

http://www.asknardo.com/how-to-solve-outgoing-sympatico-email-problems-using-ssl.php

Mainly read this in the article (see below). It is dated January 2010 so take if for what it is worth. Don't know if it relates to newer versions of Avast.

"There are incredibly few ISPs on the planet that are stupid enough to implement SSL security using port 25 for SMTP as Sympatico has done – I can think of only a couple of others that are doing the same thing … one is in Portugal.  It is a de facto standard of email worldwide that port 25 is used for unsecured email connections.  The de facto email standard for sending SMTP with SSL is port 465.

avast, quite reasonably, assumes that it can scan port 25 connections because the standard is that port 25 connections are unsecured.  If there is a requirement from the email server (as there is with Sympatico) that port 25 be secured then avast will, unfortunately, get in the way and prevent the connection.  If you happen to be a Sympatico user you have no choice but to turn off outbound scanning."

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 12:44:21 AM by Charyb »

YoKenny

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 08:40:59 PM »
If you happen to be a Sympatico user you have no choice but to turn off outbound scanning.

I happen to be a Sympatico user I have turned off outbound scanning and WLM works fine for me.

I find that the File System Shield has adequate protection.

balm

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 11:50:31 PM »
im a little confused now, my present set up, i sent test email from sympatico (thru WLM) to gmail, and the scanner seems to work on it, more test to do though...

are you saying that at present it would be as if im using a totally UNSECURED connection for smtp sympatico (mail client has SSL unchecked, and avast ssl accounts - entered smtp #25 isnt really an SSL )???

(sympatico did tell me never uncheck SSL, and they didnt understand trying to have avast scan emails..., but then again no surprise because they (Bell) are out of control!)

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 11:57:59 PM by balm »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2010, 12:32:06 AM »
im a little confused now, my present set up, i sent test email from sympatico (thru WLM) to gmail, and the scanner seems to work on it, more test to do though...

are you saying that at present it would be as if im using a totally UNSECURED connection for smtp sympatico (mail client has SSL unchecked, and avast ssl accounts - entered smtp #25 isnt really an SSL )???

(sympatico did tell me never uncheck SSL, and they didnt understand trying to have avast scan emails..., but then again no surprise because they (Bell) are out of control!)

No, that's not what the article says. It states that Sympatico is using encryption on a port that is normally used unencrypted. That's why others have had problems scanning outgoing email. Others seemed to have problems using port 25 and SSL with Avast not being able to scan. There is a solution and that is to use smtp port 587 and TLS in the Avast SSL accounts. That's all. It doesn't seem like the correct way of doing things with port 25 in both locations. That's why I think you should change it to port 587 and TLS in Avast SSL accounts. Then test it's operation. I think it will work just fine this way. Go back to reply #19 and give it a try. I'm going to be gone for the rest of this weekend so I won't be able to reply. Good Luck and I will have a look when I get back. Maybe someone else can help in the meantime. I can't say whether or not if using port 25 in both locations would allow Windows Live Mail to work outside of Avast's protection. It seem like it could be a possibility though. That's why I think you should change it to port 587 and TLS in Avast SSL accounts.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 03:32:44 PM by Charyb »

balm

Re: Windows Live Mail config & Avast settings for GMAIL and Sympatico ISP
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2010, 01:58:36 AM »

I can't say whether or not if using port 25 in both locations would allow Windows Live Mail to work outside of Avast's protection. It seem like it could be a possibility though. That's why I think you should change it to port 587 and TLS in Avast SSL accounts.

thanks for the caution, thats quite disturbing....i thought if it "looks" like the mails are being scanned, then thats good enough, but if something else is actually going on, or is comprimised, or more importantly if this has the effect to remove a secured encrypted (ssl) connection between Avast and my mail server, then thats a different matter...

so ill try using the other port (587) to be sure. thank you
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 02:08:29 AM by balm »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 03:33:40 PM »
After some more thought into it, if it was working outside of Avast you would probably receive an error message because your email client is unencrypted and the server is encrypted. Something like "error WLM was unable to communicate with server". I don't know what the exact message would be. In this case the mail would not be sent. If it sends and receives properly and is scanned while doing so then you are probably good to go.

You can also add notes to incoming and outgoing mail showing that they have been scanned by Avast. See attachments. Then you will have no doubts. Good way to advertise for Avast too!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 07:38:12 PM by Charyb »