Author Topic: Install switches?  (Read 7741 times)

lennit

Install switches?
« on: December 13, 2010, 07:28:39 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have been searching the web like crazy trying to find install switches for Avast 5.  I found one that works (the simple /Silent) but when silently installing the free version, it still installs Google Chrome.  Does anybody know of the switch to turn that off?  Or, better yet, any documentation for Windows based command line install switches?  Maybe it's hiding under my nose somewhere.

Thanks a ton!

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Install switches?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 07:40:38 PM »
During the install just untick the box's for google. Why does it have to be silent? you've only got to install it once.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 07:42:27 PM by craigb »

lennit

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 07:51:03 PM »
I'm installing this on multiple computers.  Pretty much, I'm setting up machines for people and I want to give them Avast (as well as a few other programs to get them going) and I have a program that I wrote that will download and silently install these apps.  I only want to install Chrome if the user wants it. I have code already set up to download and silently install Chrome by itself, only if I select it that is.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 08:07:46 PM »
Can't help you there sorry, i dont mess with thing's and leave them as they should be otherwise you might encounter other problem's.

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 12:56:46 AM »
There is a box that you can untick as an option (to opt-out) of installing Chrome if you want during installation.  I am not aware of a command line since this is part of the Windows based installation set up (pop-up) that you get during the installation process.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.  Thank you.

lennit

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 04:48:18 PM »
Hmmm, well, my code currently installs Avast like so

setup_av_free /Silent

My code fires this off to a command prompt with Admin privileges.  I do this so I don't have to see a GUI and take all the default settings.  The only default I don't want is the aforementioned Chrome install.  I do know that I can uncheck the Chrome option during the GUI install, so that's why I would think there would be a switch to tell it to not install Chrome when installing silently through the command line.  So simply put, the GUI is never shown so I save time installing multiple applications.  No need to click "accept" and "next" over and over.  It saves a ton of time when setting up 10 machines at once or so.

lennit

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 02:07:10 AM »
Well, after some weird googling I finally found it.  Here are the switches if anybody else needs them

/VERYSILENT /NORESTART /SP-

Though this still starts Avast up right away and it starts to update its definitions.  But still, no Chrome and everything else is pretty silent (just an update bar)

Aristophanes

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 04:33:33 AM »
Hi all,

Thanks lennit for perservering with this.  I have also been scripting the most common installs of software we use and was having the exact same problem with Chrome downloading with v6.0.1203.  Your command-line arguments did the trick.

I assume you've found resources for command line arguments generally, but if you haven't already come across it, I found this page http://www.appdeploy.com/articles/commandline.asp really useful and this one to a lesser extent http://www.axonpro.sk/japo/info/MS/SILENT%20INSTALL/Unattended-Silent%20Installation%20Switches%20for%20Windows%20Apps.htm.

Thanks again!