Author Topic: AIS 5.1 FW problem w/ uT  (Read 6956 times)

13N

AIS 5.1 FW problem w/ uT
« on: January 03, 2011, 06:57:22 PM »
Hi,

there seems to be a problem related to system performance (increased CPU usage) directly caused by the AIS FW subsystem (NDIS) when there are high amounts of uTorrent activity (nr. of connections and/or DL/UL speed).
It seems that this is a known problem (seen some posts about it in the beta section). Is there any ETA when this will be fixed?

Hermite15

Re: AIS 5.1 FW problem w/ uT
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 07:12:48 PM »
the already known issue between Avast and Ut has nothing to do with the firewall, it's a problem with the p2p shield (explaining why Ut is unchecked by default in the settings there).

13N

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 07:35:16 PM »
I didn't have the P2P shield installed. ;)
Here's the post in the beta section I mentioned: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=68443.msg575598#msg575598

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 07:36:50 PM »
I didn't have the P2P shield installed. ;)
Here's the post in the beta section I mentioned: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=68443.msg575598#msg575598

okay I missed that; + I don't run any p2p software, so I cannot test that.

edit: you should pm "Lukor", he's the one in charge of the fw and tell him about this thread here.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 07:38:56 PM by Logos »

13N

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 07:40:09 PM »
edit: you should pm "Lukor", he's the one in charge of the fw and tell him about this thread here.
OK, will do later today/this evening. Thanks. :)

13N

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 09:24:33 PM »
Heh, found out that I can't send PMs to Lukor.  ;D Could someone do that for me, please? :)
(btw, what's the post margin for being able to use PM?)

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 09:26:16 PM »
Heh, found out that I can't send PMs to Lukor.  ;D Could someone do that for me, please? :)
(btw, what's the post margin for being able to use PM?)

ok okay sorry about that, forgot your postcount and you need 20 before you can modify your profile, add a sig, pm etc... I'll do that with Lukor ;)

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 11:40:01 PM »
same problem here in the Russian section it seems
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=66580.msg561798#msg561798

google translation:

Stumbled here on a nasty problem with uTorrent, which after some time work (from noon) begins to slow down the computer - until the cursor jerking and stuttering sound. Searched the forums uTorrent-a, tried different settings, caches, half-open connections, timeouts, etc., as well as different versions of uTorrent-a (2.x, 1.8.x, 1.7.x). Nothing helped, over time (not immediately) the complex begins to slow down.

Drew attention to Avast (AIS 5), we decided to turn it off just in case. Help immediately. The computer came to life and began to work smartly. Became disabled at a time different screens to find out exactly who to blame. None of the screen had no effect. And then it turned out that it was disabling the firewall recovers your computer. Irrespective of the regime, even the "home" (where all connections are allowed) inhibited. Just off the firewall helps.

Come and restart uTorrent-and helped for a while (about half a day when both) with a firewall.

Nobody encountered?

Sincerely,
Fokin, E.

The same nonsense with utorrent + AIS 5.0
The problem arises because of the large number of open (and scanned by the firewall) to incoming connections.
Download a kernel (4) reaches 100%.
Solution, as in the post above.
Please provide technical support to assist in resolving the issue.

PSSegodnya updated to the latest version. Can I fix it? Although I doubt it.

Hermite15

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 03:07:51 PM »
BUMP... lukor?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
Lukor is currently on a short "maternity leave"  ;D so I'll follow up instead.

Now, all I can say is that this is a confirmed problem in Avast 5.0 / 5.1, related indeed to the firewall. It's something we'd like to fix in one of the upcoming updates.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 04:12:06 PM »
I've seen this reported by RejZor and others. But i could never replicate this behavior, it works fine here, never get cpu spikes. I remember there was a thread about this issue...

Found it !

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=64351.0

gzex

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 04:24:59 PM »
I'm having the same problem. This is the only reason I can't use Avast firewall, which I really like, but since I'm running utorrent 24/7 , this issue is really problematic for me.

13N

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 07:43:43 PM »
Lukor is currently on a short "maternity leave"  ;D so I'll follow up instead.

Now, all I can say is that this is a confirmed problem in Avast 5.0 / 5.1, related indeed to the firewall. It's something we'd like to fix in one of the upcoming updates.

Thanks
Vlk
Thanks for the response Vlk. I'll wait for future versions. :)