Author Topic: High CPU usage for AvastSvc.exe  (Read 26559 times)

Nesivos

Re: High CPU usage for AvastSvc.exe
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 05:44:38 PM »
Well I was wondering if you hadn't enabled scanning in P2P that's why I asked. I don't know if the file system shield might be scanning the part download files of utorrent as it creates hundreds of small files then compiles them into the single downloaded file.

I don't use utorrent so I don't know what those files are called (file type) as on creation of these small files I don't know if avast would scan them on default settings. I assume that you are using the file system shield on the default settings ?

Defence+ is a HIPS style mechanism, how much it might interact with avast I can't say as I don't use comodo. Though there are many avast users using the comodo firewall with defence+ and we don't see much in the way of related posts in the forums.
I do use the file system shield on the default settings.
Also, as far as I know, µtorrent creates 1 file per downloaded file and 1 "partfile" per torrent to store data from incomplete files (the pieces in Bittorrent don't stop at the end of each file, some pieces can have chunks from several files).

Of all the Torrent websites the only one that seems to be relatively free of viruses in my experience is The Pirate Bay.  The worst two in my experience are Queen Torrent and BitTorrent in that order.  I won't user either site anymore.

DraGonflY_27z

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 01:26:50 PM »
Well I was wondering if you hadn't enabled scanning in P2P that's why I asked. I don't know if the file system shield might be scanning the part download files of utorrent as it creates hundreds of small files then compiles them into the single downloaded file.

I don't use utorrent so I don't know what those files are called (file type) as on creation of these small files I don't know if avast would scan them on default settings. I assume that you are using the file system shield on the default settings ?

Defence+ is a HIPS style mechanism, how much it might interact with avast I can't say as I don't use comodo. Though there are many avast users using the comodo firewall with defence+ and we don't see much in the way of related posts in the forums.

AIS has found a bunch of Trojans in my utorrent downloads since I have been using AIS.  However it seems to ID the Trojans and handle them appropriately only after or during the "Seeding" stage of the download which of course is when the download is complete.
Well, I wouldn't be surprised by that, seeing as the download isn't complete before that stage, so the virus isn't complete and therefore isn't identifiable in any way.

I do use the file system shield on the default settings.
Also, as far as I know, µtorrent creates 1 file per downloaded file and 1 "partfile" per torrent to store data from incomplete files (the pieces in Bittorrent don't stop at the end of each file, some pieces can have chunks from several files).

Of all the Torrent websites the only one that seems to be relatively free of viruses in my experience is The Pirate Bay.  The worst two in my experience are Queen Torrent and BitTorrent in that order.  I won't user either site anymore.
I like to use ThePirateBay because it's one of the largest torrent indexers and so there are many seeders and a lot of rare content too.

Shodan816

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 06:05:07 PM »
Exact same problem with latest version - 5.1.889.  As soon as I installed it and it searched for an update, CPU usage jumped to 50% and stayed there. Tried everything and finally restored previous version - 864. Problem gone. As a double check, reinstalled 889 again - problem returned. Back to 864 for second time - problem gone again.  You have a bug here, folks. Something ain't right. Running Win7 on a Dell Vostro 1500. Very experienced user.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 06:17:40 PM »
Exact same problem with latest version - 5.1.889.  As soon as I installed it and it searched for an update, CPU usage jumped to 50% and stayed there. Tried everything and finally restored previous version - 864. Problem gone. As a double check, reinstalled 889 again - problem returned. Back to 864 for second time - problem gone again.  You have a bug here, folks. Something ain't right. Running Win7 on a Dell Vostro 1500. Very experienced user.
Can you try to dump avast service?

Please download: http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorer.zip
Run it as administrator, find "AvastSvc.exe" process (avast! service) and when it'll use high CPU, right-click it and choose "Create dump > Full dump". Then compress the dump file and upload it to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/.

You can also use hangrep: http://public.avast.com/~vlk/hangrep.exe
The best things in life are free.

Offline R. Hansen

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 06:41:48 PM »
Try disabling the Behavior Shield, and if that solves it, you can uninstall just the Behavior Shield and be done with it.

Behavior Shield was causing high AvastSvc cpu % on my machine.

All the versions past 677 had this problem for me.
Windows 10 Pro 1709 (16299.371) x64, 16 GB RAM, Core i5-4670, Nvidia GTX 1080 397.31 drivers, Avast 18.3.2333

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 06:58:11 PM »
The idea of a support site is to try and get to the true reason of the problem and resolve it and not sidestep the issue.

The more people prepared to help and create hangreps and dump reports, etc. the more information is gathered to try and find the cause so it can be resolved to the benefit of all avast users who might be experiencing this (not a problem on either of my two systems)..
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 07:01:10 PM »
Anyway, two users move on to AVG (and other antivirus) due to this...
Sometimes, uninstalling just a shield, temporarily, is better than to lose the user at all :)

MAG

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 07:14:41 PM »
Anyway, two users move on to AVG (and other antivirus) due to this...

....and the two you know of from the forum may be 2000 or 20000 'in the wild'.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 07:32:58 PM »
And this speculation helps in what way. If they don't seek help if they are experiencing a problem what can we do. When in many cases we have suggested uninstalling the behaviour shield, they have uninstalled completely.

You can only offer the suggestions what the user does with it is entirely up to them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Shodan816

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 09:00:42 PM »

Can you try to dump avast service?

Please download: http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorer.zip
Run it as administrator, find "AvastSvc.exe" process (avast! service) and when it'll use high CPU, right-click it and choose "Create dump > Full dump". Then compress the dump file and upload it to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/.

You can also use hangrep: http://public.avast.com/~vlk/hangrep.exe
[/quote]

I have already installed this app twice and completely restored my system from backup twice. I have Process Explorer installed - that is how I know that 889 is eating 50% of my CPU cycles. And you want me to do it all over again? Sorry, but I'll just keep running 5.1.864 and hope it's fixed in the next release. Sorry, but I have to say, it's simply not worth my time. If there is anything else I can do to help, such as sending you config files or registry entries, let me know.

Shodan816

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 12:38:42 PM »
The idea of a support site is to try and get to the true reason of the problem and resolve it and not sidestep the issue.

Precisely! I could disable all kings of things to FORCE this thing to work, but the purpose of reporting it is to (hopefully) get this issue back to avast! for software resolution.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 02:39:22 PM »
We have already received some dumps, the problem is with TDL3/4 malware detection. This will be fixed and update will be delivered within virus database update (hopefully soon, maybe tomorrow).

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 04:01:49 PM »
Thanks for the information pk.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 05:32:07 PM »
Thanks for the quick jump & solve the problem.
Indeed it was very frequent in last days.

Offline R. Hansen

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 07:41:20 AM »

The more people prepared to help and create hangreps and dump reports, etc. the more information is gathered to try and find the cause so it can be resolved to the benefit of all avast users who might be experiencing this (not a problem on either of my two systems)..

I apologize. I will be reactivating the Behavior Shield from time to time to see if the signature changes have fixed it, I have ProcExp and ProcMon installed. If I run into this problem again, I can certainly give you more than "It's the behavior module," if you can give me instructions and patience.

As of this posting, I am still running without behavior shield, because that is the extent of my expertise.
Windows 10 Pro 1709 (16299.371) x64, 16 GB RAM, Core i5-4670, Nvidia GTX 1080 397.31 drivers, Avast 18.3.2333