Author Topic: Version 5.1.889 causes missing files to SMB clients  (Read 6825 times)

tsimmons

Version 5.1.889 causes missing files to SMB clients
« on: January 17, 2011, 10:36:40 PM »
I am running Windows 7 Professional in a domain environment. I keep certain folders synced between my Win7 office computer and my XP (sp3) laptop using MS SyncToy -- it essentially compares directories connected via UNC paths.

I have Avast Pro that was originally installed using a v5.0.396.0 installer, then it was auto-updated to 5.1.889. Now when I connect from my XP laptop, numerous folders appear to be missing, even though they are present on the Win7 machine. In fact, they appear to be missing when browsing from any pre-Win7 machine -- Server 2003, Server 2000, etc. When browsing from another Win7 machine, it sees everything normally.

I tried uninstalling and downloading the latest 5.1 installer and installing using that, but the same thing happened, folders go missing to pre-Win7 SMB clients. If I uninstall and roll back to 5.0.396, everything appears to work without a hitch.

I would just go back to 5.0.396 but it appears there is a vulnerability in that version and I should upgrade at least to 5.0.677 -- however, I don't know where to get that (or if it is even available.)

Anyway, I need help here. Thanks!

Cheers,

Toby

tsimmons

Re: Version 5.1.889 causes missing files to SMB clients
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 11:00:03 PM »
One thing I failed to mention is that disabling all shields for 5.1 has no affect, you have to uninstall 5.1 for the folders to show up properly.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 01:09:15 AM »
This is known bug in process virtualization, if you don't use it, you can uninstall this component. It'll be fixed in next build. I am sorry for the inconvenience. Petr.

tsimmons

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 04:26:59 PM »
How do you uninstall the process virtualization piece? I didn't see that in the change/remove options ...

Thanks again &
Theers,

Toby

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 05:37:24 PM »
Change > Virtualization Feature
The best things in life are free.

tsimmons

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 06:08:25 PM »
I let it auto-update (like the other four times) but this time it ended with a Crash Dump on reboot.

*SIGH*

System restoring now ...  :( ???

I should be safe doing a clean install of 5.1, right?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 06:11:45 PM »
I should be safe doing a clean install of 5.1, right?
It won't hurt...

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.

tsimmons

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 06:54:14 PM »
Ran the uninstaller (not in SAFE mode) and it all went well.
Rebooted.
Ran the 5.1 installer (not in SAFE mode) it it all went well. While installing, I unchecked the "virtualization" option at the top.
Rebooted.
Everything works swell so far.  ;D

If I have any other issues, I'll add to this thread.

Is there any public documentation for that bug in virtualization? I tried searching everywhere and missed it, if there is.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Toby

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 08:32:03 PM »
Thanks for your help!
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)

LordDWT