Author Topic: Problems with Avast Free and Vista  (Read 4480 times)

imemine

Problems with Avast Free and Vista
« on: February 01, 2011, 10:05:16 PM »
I have been having problems with my computer locking up right after the log in.  This has been going on for at least two weeks and I have finally figure out that it is Avast 5 the latest update.  I uninistalled it and had to get another free program called Avira, which doesn't have email protection.  I want my Avast back.  Anyone have any idea what's going on with Avast latest update and how I could fix it so I can go back to Avast protection?

thank you

M

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Problems with Avast Free and Vista
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 12:11:16 AM »
It's extremely hard to troublshot when you no longe have Avast installed. There could have beeb file corruption and possibly fixed as easy a REPAIR of Avast via 'Add and Remove PRograms' then choosing Avast, then 'Change/Remove. Then scroll to the bottom of the options and choosing 'Repair' WHen finished, reboot computer and maybe problem solved.
I that didn't work then the next step would be a simple Clean Uninstall and Reinstall of Avast.
Now however, with another Anti-Virus program installed you must make very sure that if you uninstall this one that no files/Reg key and other remnants are not left on your system as that could very easily corrupt an Avast installtion attempt.
Get directions on how to completely remove Avira and and Clean uo Utility tool the vender offers.
Anti Virus software just like firewalls can be very tough to acheive a Clean Unistall. :-\

imemine

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 04:50:27 AM »
I only decided to take it off because my computer would not start with it on, it locked up.  I had uninstalled and cleaned and reinstalled over the last two weeks at least 4 times.  Something in this latest version stops my monitor from loading, screen is black with just the mouse pointer.nothing else. I remove avast, it boots fine. 
It all started with the latest update. 

WishI could get it back to work, but I can't. 

swarnava

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 05:42:53 AM »
I would suggest to make clean uninstall and then check our version 6 beta with scratch install.you will find link here     http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=70655.0          check same problem still have or not

imemine

Re: Problems with Avast Free and Vista UPDATE
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 08:02:44 PM »
I took vista off my laptop and installed windows 7 ultimate and did a clean install I then installed the free version of avast. 2 days later, when starting up my laptop, the same problem occured, i could sign on to windows, but at that point the screen goes black with only the mouse curser, which I can move around but nothing more.  I was able to get a window up with hitting the shift key a few times and pulled up the control pannel, and was able to do a restore before avast and it booted up perfect.  So, what now? I love avast but for some reason the new version is giving me problems.  Any ideas? 

thank you

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 07:37:30 PM »
What other security software are you using? Have you tried a custom install without the Behavior Shields? I'm thinking you might have a conflict with some other software. Another security software might be stopping your start-up due to a conflict with avast. Try to disable your other software then try another install.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.