Author Topic: THUNDERBIRD EMAIL CLIENT ERROR MESSAGE  (Read 9472 times)

StateOfCompleteness

THUNDERBIRD EMAIL CLIENT ERROR MESSAGE
« on: February 05, 2011, 05:44:14 PM »
"An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: concurrent connection limit in avast! exceeded(pass:0, processes:thunderbird.exe[50])."

What does this mean? Anyone know the solution?

sded

Re: THUNDERBIRD EMAIL CLIENT ERROR MESSAGE
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 05:48:31 PM »
What OS and version of avast! are you using?  Is this an encrypted mail system like gmail or non SSL?  Was email working previously with avast! or is this a new installation?   What is your TB server setup?
Mozilla says this error means:
An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: message:

You specified the wrong server. The server you specified exists, but it is not an SMTP server.
You specified the wrong port number. Ask whoever runs the SMTP server what the correct port number is.
The server is down. This is usually temporary. If it persists, contact whoever administers the server.
Your firewall is blocking the port.
Your ISP is blocking the port. This often affects port 25, and you can often work around it by using port 587, but details depend on your ISP and on the SMTP server's configuration.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 05:53:29 PM by sded »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: THUNDERBIRD EMAIL CLIENT ERROR MESSAGE
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 07:23:34 PM »
Whilst this knowledgebase article shows how to increase the max concurrent connections, it fails to resolve why it is happening in the first place.

@ StateOfCompleteness
The faulting application eating all the connections is thunderbird.exe and I would have to ask why it is doing that as this doesn't happen on my installations (winXP and Win7 systems) of thunderbird.

So are you using thunderbird for newsgroups as well or something like that where it is downloading using large numbers of connections ?

I have only been using thunderbird for a few months now so I'm not familiar with all its settings, so I don't know if you can use it in this way.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TEDDU

AVAST 2013 BLOCK THUNDERBIRD 17.02 EMAIL CLIENT ERROR MESSAGE??? WTF?
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 07:21:49 AM »
 >:(  >:(  >:(An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting:  concurrent connection limit in avast! exceeded(pass:0, processes:thunderbird.exe[50]).