Author Topic: ** SOLVED ** avast 6 - How to close Desktop Gadget permanently ?  (Read 21637 times)

Xost2

** SOLVED ** avast 6 - How to close Desktop Gadget permanently ?
« on: February 23, 2011, 06:46:42 PM »
I can live without this Widget on my desktop - I get the same functionality from the Tray icon.

If I close the widget, it returns at the next boot. How do I make it go away, without going into the OS and shutting off the Win7 Gadget Platform? I have other gadgets I want to keep. I can't find any configuration options in avast6 for this.

Thanks.

Avast 6.0.1000
Windows 7 64bit SP1
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 07:03:07 PM by Xost2 »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: avast 6 - How to close Desktop Gadget permanently ?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 06:49:03 PM »
Go to add remove programms and double click on avast then click change and when you get the popup untick the gadget, ok and reboot.

Xost2

**SOLVED** Re: avast 6 - How to close Desktop Gadget permanently ?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 07:02:25 PM »
Go to add remove programms and double click on avast then click change and when you get the popup untick the gadget, ok and reboot.

SOLVED !!

Thanks the quick reply.

Hermite15

Re: ** SOLVED ** avast 6 - How to close Desktop Gadget permanently ?
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 07:04:32 PM »
no need to do that, go to the gadget panel and uninstall it from there.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
True, that would have been easyer, that one slipped my mind.
Same dog different leg action  :)

street_lethal

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 07:35:18 PM »
I uninstalled it from the gadget panel and it did get rid of it..until I rebooted. Funny thing is the Avast gadget is back on the desktop but it's not in the gadget control panel now.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 08:10:36 PM »

That rather depends on if it is in the gadget panel, on mine it doesn't appear there is is in the shared gadgets folder. So can't be uninstalled through the gadgets gallery. Don't ask why avast installed it there I don't know.

@ street_lethal
You will find an entry for it in the shared gadgets folder. So you are left with the add remove programs (uninstall a Program) Change and uncheck the avast gadget option.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 08:12:27 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

street_lethal

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 09:43:06 PM »

@ street_lethal
You will find an entry for it in the shared gadgets folder. So you are left with the add remove programs (uninstall a Program) Change and uncheck the avast gadget option.

That's what I wound up doing after I updated to the official v6 release before. I went to add/remove programs clicked on change, unchecked the gadget, clicked next. It said the program was successfully changed and then I got a pop-up from Win 7 saying the program may have not be installed correctly. I selected the "the program installed correctly" box. I've had enough of installing/reinstalling programs for the day.

Dave78

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 11:25:52 PM »

Doesn't work that way. Gadget still comes up after even though it uninstalls itself from the gadget pane.

That's what I wound up doing after I updated to the official v6 release before. I went to add/remove programs clicked on change, unchecked the gadget, clicked next. It said the program was successfully changed and then I got a pop-up from Win 7 saying the program may have not be installed correctly. I selected the "the program installed correctly" box. I've had enough of installing/reinstalling programs for the day.

Same here with a clean install of Avast. Get the Program Compatibility Assistant popup after uninstalling it through Programs and Features - Change.

It uninstalls that way though, just something isn't right there.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:27:41 PM by Dave78 »

Jack 1000

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 12:48:42 AM »
What is this Gadget thing?  Is this like in 5.1 with the Avast Shortcut icon on the Desktop?

Jack

temp4746

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 01:17:24 AM »
Why does avast have to keep trying to readd the gadget to the desktop...
This is silly behaviour, it should install the gadget and add it to the desktop via the standard windows facilities (If there are any) only on the first run or during the install and just leave it like that if the user removes it from the desktop or uninstalls it from the gadget gallery it should just stay like that.
And it should be reintalled on a repair/change if you have the gadget selected in the installer and uninstalled from the gallery in case it was accidently removed, and also not added to the desktop automaticlly if it's already installed in the gallery as the user obviously removed the gadget from the desktop himself.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 01:28:03 AM »
Did you do a clean install or update from the avastUI ?

If the latter then it is probably in the shared gadgets folder, which means it will be restored on the next boot.

Control panel -> Programs and Features -> avast! -> Change -> uncheck the box "avast! gadget" reboot, it shouldn't come back.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

koman90

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 05:32:40 AM »
I'm having the opposite problem, i can't get my gadget to start up

I've tried everything, installing re installing, updating, nothing seems to work.

Dose it make any difference that i was part of the beta and it worked then?!

This is all i get

system profile by Speccy at
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gDwKCocywS78CKt1QG5hFIy

Bima

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 07:35:38 PM »
Just updated from version 4 ( I know I know) to version 6 - so far I like it   :)

Got rid of the gadget using the control panel and it hasn't come back after a restart.

*points down*

That's not the computer I'm using... I think one more post and I can change it ;)

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 03:38:21 PM »
Did you do a clean install or update from the avastUI ?

If the latter then it is probably in the shared gadgets folder, which means it will be restored on the next boot.

Control panel -> Programs and Features -> avast! -> Change -> uncheck the box "avast! gadget" reboot, it shouldn't come back.

Perfect, thanks.