Author Topic: Avast, crashing my system...  (Read 11826 times)

normski-

Re: Avast, crashing my system...
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 04:26:47 PM »
@Safe Surf

I rebooted the pc under the new config, Avast 6, no spybot.

On startup,Avast asked me to open NetWaiting in the sandbox. I complied, PC then froze.

Rebooted and on startup prompt from Avast re Netwaiting, I instructed Avast to ignore Netwaiting and not ask me again.

Now pc doesn't freeze immediately but it does freeze when I try to connect to the internet.

Repeated reboots have the same result, pc freezes on internet connection attempt

I've resorted to reinstalling Avast version 5 in the meantime while awaiting fixes to Avast 6 and / or getting alternative non crash causing antivirus.

Any further advice will certainly be considered - not impressed with Avast 6 unfortunately at this point despite the excellent help provided by people like yourself

Daris

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 02:49:07 AM »
I am on Windows XP SP3 Professional...Been Using Spybot with Avast and Spywareblaster and a long time ago Windows defender ...Never had any Issues with all them running...They all do fine together
    I would go to your "START">"RUN">"REGEDIT">Edit> FIND...and write in any Antivirus or Firewall Programs that you have uninstalled or that you might think could have been on your comp.  Example...(Norton)> Find Next than do it again and click find mext(Norton) until your registry editor doesn't find anything..Sometime 6 or 7 times to get all the Norton Files out..Than do any other Antivirus or Firewall that might have been on your comp..
     If you're not sure how to do this or "uncomfortable working with your registry than don't do it" or before deleting it save it on your desktop...Also do a search in windows explorer for any uninstalled anti virus or Firewalls that you can think of and delete their folders...Also run the registry editor like CCleaner or Eusing free reg cleaner...Than right clck drive C go to Properties and do a search and set to fix any Errors and reboot your comp.  Than go to Superantispyware from Start>Programs>Boot Safe> Directory service Repair and do a scan from there...
   Also sometimes I noticed that after you uninstall the Old Avast example...a friend of mine computer was slow and froze sometmes...He had Avast5 installed back than..But I did a search for 4.8 and there was still folders there from 4.8..So I deleted them and searched also in his Registry for them and now his comp is fine...Also I would do some Googling and find out more on ZA and Spybot and ZA and AVAST..I remember reading somewhere that ZA doesn't go well with Avast...Also it is very heavy and does leave a large footprint on your System...Luck and hopefully some of this might help...Ohh and if you don't feel comfortable with any of this don't attempt it, to be on the safe side...

SafeSurf

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 11:19:38 AM »
@ normski-

Regarding your NetWaiting, do you use dial-up to connect to the Internet?  If NetWaiting is a program you use, you need to tell Avast to trust this program.  The way you responded to the prompt you got could explain why you are having difficulty connecting now to the Internet because you said "ignore" and "don't ask me again." 

If you uninstalled Avast, and uninstalled v.6.0, then you should not have this problem as you said you are now using v.5.  Please tell me exactly what version you reinstalled.  Also, since you are now over 20 posts, you can also enter your Profile information in your Signature so that I and others can help you better.  Thank you.

I agree with Daris on cleaning your machine.  Having something like CCleaner Slim version, which many of us use, is a good idea and light on your system http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds for cleaning your machine and it can also clean your registry (you can make a back up prior to cleaning/fixing any registry errors).  I just checked their web site and they are doing an upgrade so the Slim version should be posted within a day or so.

To replace SB, I would suggest MBAM (Malwarebytes) http://www.malwarebytes.org/, which many of us use here as well.  There is a free on-demand and one-time paid resident version.  MBAM is compatible with Avast.

Let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you.

doktornotor

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 11:36:29 AM »
Regarding your NetWaiting, do you use dial-up to connect to the Internet?  If NetWaiting is a program you use, you need to tell Avast to trust this program. 

This application is not really used to connect to Internet. It is for V.92 Modem on Hold feature. Even on dialup, vast majority of users does not need any such thing. Unless you are really using it, it would be better uninstalled. Should be called something like Modem On Hold in Control Panel - Add/Remove programs. If it is missing there, most likely you would have to uninstall modem drivers completely, unfortunately. (Might turn out to be optional component on drivers reinstall, depends on vendor.)