Author Topic: Avast Free v6 & Privatefirewall clash  (Read 13551 times)

Firebytes

Re: Avast Free v6 & Privatefirewall clash
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 05:35:59 PM »
I am happy for you NMB unfortunately that doesn't help the rest of us.

Offline RZPogi

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 05:47:15 PM »
I suggest installing avast 5.1.889 instead. 6.0.1 has a lot of problems.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/ and select 5.1.889
DESKTOP: Win 10, Avast 20 Free, Windows firewall, Malwarebytes free

LAPTOP: Win 10, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes free, Windows Firewall, Mcshield

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 05:51:09 PM »
that doesn't help the rest of us.

I had the same problem, if you read in the previous page. I am reporting what I is happening on my machine.

sded

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 05:55:03 PM »
You can submit a Private Firewall support ticket at http://www.privacyware.com/support_ticket.html and perhaps get your system working like nmb did.  Have any of you received responses yet?  Of course, this might all go away again with the next Avast! 6 prerelease.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:03:52 PM by sded »

street_lethal

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 06:26:43 PM »
I had the same issue a few weeks ago with PrivateFirewall and Avast 6 on Win 7 x64 SP1. I also had issues with PC Tools Firewall 7 and Windows 7 SP1. PC Tools finally put up some new drivers on it's forum as a temporary fix. Long story short, I wound up installing Online Armor and disabled all of it's HIPS features(it's web shield conflicted with Avast's web shield)and just use the firewall, all is well, I like it better than both PrivateFirewall and PC Tools Firewall 7.

Firebytes

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 07:33:15 PM »
that doesn't help the rest of us.

I had the same problem, if you read in the previous page. I am reporting what I is happening on my machine.

Sorry nmb, I honestly am happy it works for you. I am just frustrated that I don't have the same results.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 07:44:57 PM »
Sorry nmb, I honestly am happy it works for you. I am just frustrated that I don't have the same results.

oki. Just let it be the way it is. I mean the private firewall. It will continue to work but only the GUI is not displayed properly. Lets see whether it will be fixed. Now that many are reporting, there is certainly something going on.

joburg

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 10:58:08 PM »
nmb - lucky you, at least you've proven Avast Support wrong in this instance. For those using PF & Avast v6 with the GUI crippled it is fatal. You can not get to anything, you're lost and will never know for sure what's happening.
I will stick to Avast v5.1.889 in the mean time.

Hi Firebytes, regarding PF always popping up when Avast needs to update is because Avast uses more than x300 dif sites to d/l from. That is "normal" and PF will notice the new IP address each time. I always hit Trusted when it pops up but next time it is another IP. I have not tried it yet but you can set within PF under Process Monitor > Avast to "Allow" which is by default "Filter".
For the rest PF running 100% under Avast v5.1.889, RZPogi is correct as for the d/l link.

sded, I'm in contact with PF Support but they can not do much more at this stage because the changes in Avast v6.x still a puzzle. It takes two to tango. They received a quite a few tickets regarding this issue.

Firebytes

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2011, 01:27:30 AM »
I had already had Avast set to allow and I still got the popup from PF with each boot (with Avast 5.x). I had even set Avast as a trusted publisher just to try that.

Now with Avast 6.x I don't get the popup from PF with each boot (so I wouldn't say it had been normal) but I do get the complete lock up of the PF GUI and the GUI now shows Office Profile instead of Home Profile. Other users of PF say that the firewall is still functioning normally and that just the GUI is messed up but I don't know for sure as I can't get to the rest of the GUI to check. I tried excluding PF in Avast but that didn't help. I really hope Avast works with PF or whatever is needed to fix this issue. Seems new versions of Avast have issues with many firewalls.

I have used Avast for a very long time with great success and I have a lot of faith in the Avast team so I doubt they will leave us in this predicament for long. Here's hoping anyway.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2011, 03:42:11 AM »
at least you've proven Avast Support wrong in this instance.

I have not proved anyone as wrong.

Did you write to avast support? An email or something?

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 11:24:52 AM »
Oki. The thing is back again. >:(

joburg

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 01:07:55 PM »
Firebytes - ditto, I've also applied everything you've done but all failed. I'll stay with Avast v5.x because w/o being able to check within PF options just too risky. I also have been using Avast for many many years and can't imagine starting to investigate which other av to use, a petrifying nightmare!

nmb - I originally understood that all going hunky-dory with Avast v6.x & PF on yr PC? Yes I've started a Support ticket with Avast and they have decided that the problem is with PF, their responses to me:

1st answer - "generally it is not recommended to use more than two antiviruses in one computer. I recommend you to use only one and uninstall the other. It causes such conflicts quite often."

2nd answer - "as I can see from their webpage http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html it is antimalware as well"

I've not responded again because it seems case closed from Avast's point of view. The fact remains, from v6.x Avast sees PF as an "anti-virus / anti-malware" prog and therefore the clash.

mhf

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2011, 02:16:53 PM »
I've not responded again because it seems case closed from Avast's point of view. The fact remains, from v6.x Avast sees PF as an "anti-virus / anti-malware" prog and therefore the clash.

Not true - see message #7 above - if there are some conflicts (i.e. exceptions) that doesn't prove a general rule.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2011, 04:14:52 PM »
nmb - I originally understood that all going hunky-dory with Avast v6.x & PF on yr PC? Yes I've started a Support ticket with Avast and they have decided that the problem is with PF, their responses to me:

1st answer - "generally it is not recommended to use more than two antiviruses in one computer. I recommend you to use only one and uninstall the other. It causes such conflicts quite often."

2nd answer - "as I can see from their webpage http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html it is antimalware as well"

So I will have to remove private firewall then. In fact I've already done. Have switched to windows 7 firewall control by sphinx-soft. That will remain for some time.

YoKenny

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2011, 04:27:30 PM »
So I will have to remove private firewall then. In fact I've already done. Have switched to windows 7 firewall control by sphinx-soft. That will remain for some time.
That't the best news I have read so far.  ;)