Author Topic: Behavior shield causes Windows XP SP3 to lock up at boot  (Read 4421 times)

De Hollander

Behavior shield causes Windows XP SP3 to lock up at boot
« on: March 26, 2011, 10:36:43 PM »
A little mystery  :)

Installing any of the version 6 Free / Pro / Suite causes Windows XP SP3 to lock up at start up. The desktop loads, no taskbar, no icons, Ctrl/Alt/Delete is not responding. Reinstalling without the behavior shield gives no problems.

Before reinstalling I followed the right procedure for removing the leftovers.

Attached are two logs (Hijack and Autoruns). Disregards the entry's for SuperantiSpyware and Prevx. They are for the time being installed.

doktornotor

Re: Behavior shield causes Windows XP SP3 to lock up at boot
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 10:58:16 PM »
Ahnlab HackShield - t3h crap, basically rootkit you installed with some game.  ::)

http://www.progamercity.net/anti-cheats/371-hackshield-analysis.htm

De Hollander

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 11:32:47 PM »
It might be the cause of the look up  :-\, HackShield is a legitimate piece of software, and with v5 he never had this problem. (Son gaming PC)

doktornotor

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 11:41:39 PM »
Sorry, but I do not consider any rootkits to be legimate. This way, you could say that Sony/BMG one was also legitimate. Anyway, as explained, there is a huge potential for conflicts, same is valid for "legitimate" GameGuard and sXe rootkits  :P

You can try with latest prerelase: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=74515.0 however I would personally recommend to send the rootkit to /dev/null.

De Hollander

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 12:20:49 AM »
Already tried the latest prerelase, I have a good candidate, he had previously played Maplestory and deinstalled it. I'm gonna remove Ahnlab Hackshield tomorrow  :)

De Hollander

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 01:35:03 PM »
Update: Removed Ahnlab, same result, hard look up at boot. Reinstalled, but this time I altered the settings under File system. No freezes so far. (default settings for File system)

Question, what is the relationship between the behavior shield and the settings under File system shield?
Does altering the settings under File system have any impact how the behavior shield works/reacts/responds

doktornotor

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 02:12:54 PM »
If you enabled all packers in FS settings, it will be slow as molasses. It's disabled for a reason.

De Hollander

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 03:49:02 PM »
That's not the problem, enabled all packers, no look up.

The moment I activate: Scan when opening\All files & Scan when writing\All files , the pc lock ups at boot.

But what's the relationship with the Behavior shield.

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 03:54:59 PM »
I am getting confused here. ::)
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens