Author Topic: Is Avast WHS edition compatible with WHS 2011  (Read 28698 times)

Offline TermingBoss

• Personal Message (Offline)
Is Avast WHS edition compatible with WHS 2011
« on: April 07, 2011, 08:15:40 AM »
Does anyone know if Avast WHS Edition is compatible with WHS 2011?

WHS 2011 was released two days ago:
http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/windowshomeserver/
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 11:02:05 AM by TermingBoss »

Offline Theodoor

Re: Is Avast WHS edition compatible with WHS 2011
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 10:13:39 PM »
According to the System requirements it should:
Operating Systems Supported
Any Windows Home Server computer
Windows Home Server 1, 2

However, I tried installing it on a WHS 2011/VAIL RC test environment.
The system did not like it at all so I aborted the test!

Still waiting for support@avast.com for any information on this...
- Theo.

Offline metalmike

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 11:16:54 PM »
I purchased a license update since they so un-kindly removed the family pack to include 5 PC's and WHS. Does this mean I can grab the latest and install and use current license? I may call them to find out about this. I am running WHS 1, not planning on going to the newest version as I have to check the specs/reqs for it against my HP MediaSmart Server ex485.

Mike

Offline geoperkins

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 09:11:15 PM »
any word from avast! on whether they plan to support Microsoft Windows Home Server (WHS) 2011?

Offline k4kman

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 04:00:52 PM »
I'm also looking for AntiVirus for my WHS 2011 but can't seem to find any that support it.

I had used avast a long time ago on my WHSv1 box.  They did not supply very good support but if you got it working it did a very nice job.

It's too bad the Windows Home server 2011 is such a small install base as it would be very nice to have a full Antivirus product that can monitor and alert on all your home pc's.

Please contact me if you know any officially supported antivirus for Windows Home Server 2011 and or when Avast will be out for it.

Offline metalmike

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 04:45:57 PM »
I got a response from support finally and it has NOT been updated (see other thread). I asked if it is going to be and if it will support WHS 2011 as well. So we are still stuck on V4.8 and may never see an update as far as I am concerned seeing a) they have said NOTHING on the net since earlier this year and support has not specifically stated it will be updated/supporting WHS 2011 yet. I re-licensed mine last night after having it showing as installed AFTER using their tool for 2nd removal (first re-install after removal (no add-in showing)) failed and I had to find I think it's called AllClear* which you run from program files\windows home server and it pops up a window showing what's installed and will remove (duplicate entries for instance) it. It worked for me and got me back and running again.

Offline metalmike

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 09:51:57 AM »
This is from tech support:

"the recent version of avast! Windows Home Server Edition (4.8.257, January 2009) has been never tested on Microsoft Windows Home Server version 2 (codename "Vail", or Windows Home Server 2011) platform and it's not expected to be compatible with this operating system. The virus scanning engine version 6 compatible with Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 has been available since June 2011 and the first products that utilize it (Avast! File Server Security and Email Server Security) has been released.
The upcoming avast! 7 product line will probably include a new version of avast! WHS Edition compatible with Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 operating system. No release date has been set at this time but this major update is expected for the next year."

This person doesn't understand that WHS 2011 is based on Server 2008 R2 I believe and there isn't a product named "Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2".

Offline DCS

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 04:10:53 PM »
The old Avast does not work on WHS 2011, or at least mine does not. Unfortunately I renewed my license for 4.8 earlier this year for WHS version 1, and had the EX470 motherboard die about a month ago. I was holding off going to WHS 2011 until I could get virus protection for it. Long story short, I built a new server using WHS 2011, and no virus protection the same weekend the 470 died.
Now I have kids, and on the old WHS it would catch files being uploaded via a web interface. One of my kids did infect the WHS 2011 server with a file from a friends house when he uploaded it remotely using a web interface due to no protection. I have in the past sent emails to Avast Customer Service trying to find out when some sort of protection would be available, but no response from 3 of them, and the only response I did receive was to purchase a regular server license and see if that would work for my needs, and there was no word if Avast would actually release a WHS 2011 version. I have shut off remote access to keep it from happening again, but beware if you are allowing folks to add files remotely, and from any system that is unprotected.

Google Chrome

AVAST recommends using the FREE Google Chrome™ browser.

Download Google Chrome Now