Author Topic: Free avast finds virus on every single website!  (Read 9719 times)

brane97

Free avast finds virus on every single website!
« on: April 11, 2011, 09:32:34 PM »
Avast just updated virus database a few minutes ago to version 110411-1 and when I try to open any website (except google and this one). I get Trojan Horse Blocked, Infection HTML:RedirME-inf [Trj] or HTML:Script-inf. Even Facebook and Wikipedia won't open, so it must be a mistake. I don't know much about this stuff, someone please help me!!  :'(

Cipro

Re: Free avast finds virus on every single website!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 11:06:30 PM »
The browser used doesn't matter. The virus definition update if faulty. For now, go into Avast's settings and disable Webshield.

What's really frustrating about this is that when Avast had a disastrous update fiasco several months ago they said that they had instituted new procedures to guarantee that such a thing would never happen again.

I guess it's on to plan C.

Josip1000

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 11:19:19 PM »
Same here, every single website. Im glad its not a virus though

pascal1947

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 11:22:42 PM »
Figuring something was terribly wrong, I didn't want to tinker around and just uninstalled the whole mess.  Even Avast's own pages were getting flagged as Malware.  I'm on a fast Wifi network and was not a problem to replace with a downloaded copy of AVG until Avast corrects the bad update.

Swine the Mad

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 11:32:21 PM »
The update's even completely fried up the file scanner.

I'm watching the files as it's going through and it's flagging files I've had for years and that have been through multiple scans from multiple programs, including Avast.

I don't go to suspicious sites. I don't use torrents. I haven't downloaded any new programs and had zero problems until today's update. Actually, today's update finished while I was reading my Windstream email. After being able to read a couple of messages, Avast cut the site off.

It's also cut off Google books, but no other Google sites that I can tell. Really, really weird.

I was finally able to connect to the server and download another update, but it's still affecting sites it shouldn't be affecting. I don't think that many of my usual sites have suddenly been hacked.

zekeblue

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 11:39:13 PM »
Looks like they took care of it with 110411-2 that I received when doing a manual update. 

It was particularly bothersome that clicking on the "community" link in the warning popup brings you to a page that tries to get you to update to the paid version.  They can't be aware of the negative impact that has on perception!

Swine the Mad

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 11:40:37 PM »
Never mind. Newest update has fixed the problem.

saluqi

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 11:48:01 PM »
"Looks like they took care of it with 110411-2 that I received when doing a manual update."

I have just had the same experience.  Cost me an hour or so of messing around (had a very hard time even getting through to this site, took several restarts).  Since I am in the middle of a paid editing job requiring innumerable lookups and searches, lost time is not fun.

english teacher

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 12:03:34 AM »
Sorry to disappoint you when you say that it "looks like they took care of it with 110411-2"
This is WRONG for me as I have that version and at the moment, I'm still having problems surfing the net, even with ALL AVAST shields completely dis-activated.

I'll try again in the morning

KaiGusto

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 12:10:22 AM »
just did a google search to come here.  same issues with me, everysite has 'malware' apparently.

Before I found this site I did a full scan and it came back with 400 odd warnings, i moved all to the 'Chest'.  now I now its a faulty update, I hope it has not buggered any of my programs by doing the scan!

gning

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 12:13:33 AM »
It's not every website... only about half of the web.

disPlay

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 12:13:42 AM »

mperemsky

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 01:17:47 AM »
My avast just got an update. I can access web pages again! Yeah!

Shame on you Avast for not running a proper system test. You can say it is free, but there are other free fish in the sea too.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 01:25:31 AM »
Then you are free to go fishing, but avast is not alone in having had a problem with a virus definitions update. Some much more serious than this, e.g. deleting system files and being unable to boot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

zekeblue

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 01:34:23 AM »
Sorry to disappoint you when you say that it "looks like they took care of it with 110411-2"
This is WRONG for me as I have that version and at the moment, I'm still having problems surfing the net, even with ALL AVAST shields completely dis-activated.

I'll try again in the morning

No need to be sorry.  I'm not disappointed  ;).  If you disable shields and have trouble surfing, then obviously Avast is not exerting its influence in the situation.  Now something may have gotten squirrelly during the problem that now persists, but by all other reports, 110411-2 did fix the initial problem of websites flagged as threats.  You might try simply restarting your computer.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:37:18 AM by zekeblue »