Author Topic: Free avast finds virus on every single website!  (Read 9762 times)

english teacher

Re: Free avast finds virus on every single website!
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 09:26:32 AM »
OK, I can now visit all the websites that I usually visit without any problems.

Yesterday, I couldn't visit any without turning off AVAST. Even after this the surfing was very very slow and many pages wouldn't open.

All fixed now.  :D

Jack 1000

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 09:49:46 AM »
Fortunately I was not hit with the bad update, so that's great!

One question though, even though the blog page loads, Avast keeps scanning and scanning the blog page, like there is constant activity on it?  See here:

https://blog.avast.com/2011/04/11/false-positive-issue-with-virus-defs-110411-1/comment-page-1/#comments

Why is this happening?  FYI, I'm on IE 8.

Thanks Avast for acting so quickly.  So I guess there were three updates yesterday, one bad, and two good.

Jack

royo

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 11:16:53 AM »
I have had enough of this program. It used to be excellent, now it's a piece of cr@p I'm afraid.

I'm trying to rebuild an XP box. Whether the previous virus problems I experienced were real or not I'm beginning to doubt. Basically, I'm now unable to rebuild the PC because Avast regards every site - including microsoft update!!! as a potential threat, and blocking it. It even found the Google search page incorporated in the release of Chrome - which I downloaded WITH AVAST - as a potentially harmful site. A scan located about 10 "trojans" (bear in mind that I had only used the pc for the initial MS updates to the original (disc) installation). A boot-time scan located 52,000 - yes 52,000 - threats and moved them. These included the whole of the MS Movie Maker set of files.

I'm no longer running ZA, which was said to be in conflict with Avast, and using Online Armor instead.

This application is FINISHED. No longer suitable for anything at all except causing problems. An absolute disgrace. And it used to be so good!

Jack 1000

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 12:36:35 PM »
I have had enough of this program. It used to be excellent, now it's a piece of cr@p I'm afraid.

I'm trying to rebuild an XP box. Whether the previous virus problems I experienced were real or not I'm beginning to doubt. Basically, I'm now unable to rebuild the PC because Avast regards every site - including microsoft update!!! as a potential threat, and blocking it. It even found the Google search page incorporated in the release of Chrome - which I downloaded WITH AVAST - as a potentially harmful site. A scan located about 10 "trojans" (bear in mind that I had only used the pc for the initial MS updates to the original (disc) installation). A boot-time scan located 52,000 - yes 52,000 - threats and moved them. These included the whole of the MS Movie Maker set of files.

I'm no longer running ZA, which was said to be in conflict with Avast, and using Online Armor instead.

This application is FINISHED. No longer suitable for anything at all except causing problems. An absolute disgrace. And it used to be so good!

Greetings,

Did you manually update to the latest version of Avast?  That should fix the issues from the bad update released yesterday.  How did you deal with those files that it said were infected?

Jack

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 12:38:28 PM by Jack 1000 »

isamuelson

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 01:35:36 PM »
Wow, I remember when this happened last year with McAfee, but worse.

Still, it definitely caused problems at home. I almost wiped my machine clean due to the constant message that every website was bad (except Avast's of course). Luckily, I had a virtual machine installed on my PC and was able to boot up into that to get another AV program to then do a full system scan. It showed everything was fine. That's when I came here and saw the thread. That is what I suspected when the other AV didn't find anything at all.

I'm still baffled as to how this can slip through the cracks. It really caused issues where we couldn't use our computer and our daughters both needed it to do homework, but we didn't want them hooking up their USB sticks in case there really was a virus.

I understand mistakes happen, but how could something like this slip through? The same thing happened with McAfee last year that made computers useless and it was an official patch that apparently didn't make it through testing.

I really hope something like this doesn't happen again. Luckily, this wasn't as bad as McAfee's snafu, but it possibly caused a lot of people to reimage their machines. I'm glad I held off because it seemed suspicious that EVERY web site was bad except Avast.

street_lethal

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 04:54:58 PM »
Wow, I remember when this happened last year with McAfee, but worse.

It happened back in December 2009 with Avast as well and was worse.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=51627.0

I think I read a thread around here where somebody said it was the second time it happened this year so far. Don't know if they're correct.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=75991.msg628545#msg628545

It happens from time to time with any AV. If it starts to get more frequent that's when i'll pull the plug on Avast on my own systems. Luckily with this most recent mess I didn't quarantine anything, I just left everything alone because I knew there was something wrong.

royo

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 05:39:15 PM »

Greetings,

Did you manually update to the latest version of Avast?  That should fix the issues from the bad update released yesterday.  How did you deal with those files that it said were infected?

Jack
This thing has caused me enough problems already I'm afraid. I'm not interested in helping develop a bug ridden product, even if it is free. On the machine I'm rebuilding I have removed Avast and installed a competing product. It couldn't possibly be worse. As soon as I can I will remove it from my 3 other pc's too. I am appalled at how much trouble this thing has caused me and would never go near it again even if Avast paid ME.
Roy

Offline RedFan

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 05:55:18 PM »
My wife complained (angry) >:( yesterday about avast with this problem on every website a trojan ??? Pffff , i removed avast and installed MSE instead _ then she was happy again !
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 05:56:50 PM by RedFan »
IntelĀ® i3 Quad-Core @4,3 GHZ. RAM: 16GB ddr4 || SSD 500 GB || Windows 11 Home x64 || Chromium user.