Author Topic: Still can't upgrade 1091 Pro to AIS  (Read 9204 times)

sded

Re: Still can't upgrade 1091 Pro to AIS
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 09:49:34 PM »
Unfortunately there is no license dialog if you try to upgrade from Pro to AIS.  The Pro dialog shown previously comes up immediately.  If you double click on the license, it just asks if you would like to insert the license in Pro and does that if you say yes, even though the license is already installed.  The AIS installer simply won't run with Pro installed-you can only upgrade Pro, or uninstall and try again.  Tried it the other way when I had AIS installed, though.  Ran the Pro Installer, and ended up with the picture attached: Pro with nonfunctional Firewall tabs.  Current installer is just not very flexible.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 12:01:26 AM »
All I can think of is to do a clean install. Or maybe hunt down DavidR. If anyone can help it's him.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

sded

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 12:11:46 AM »
Not a real problem; only a feature that apparently used to be there but no longer works.  I just uninstall Pro/AIS and install AIS/Pro whenever I want to switch.  Now if Avast! would just save/restore your settings on demand ...  ;)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 03:04:03 AM »
Not a real problem; only a feature that apparently used to be there but no longer works.  I just uninstall Pro/AIS and install AIS/Pro whenever I want to switch.  Now if Avast! would just save/restore your settings on demand ...  ;)
To save/restore settings is a dream most of us would like. Let's hope the dream comes to.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 02:20:14 PM »
To save/restore settings is a dream most of us would like. Let's hope the dream comes to.  :)
I hope too :)
The best things in life are free.

sded

Another Installer/Licensing Problem
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2011, 05:47:58 PM »
Ran into another installer/licensing problem on the OA Forum at http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/4291-slow-web-browsing/ .  User bought a 3 AIS license pack, installed them, and decided to try OA as a firewall on one of them.  Removed the firewall from AIS and installed OA, but experienced slowdowns even after excluding Avast! and OA from each other.  Posted his problem, so I suggested he try downgrading AIS to Pro on that machine, since I had previously experienced some problems with the firewall-less Avast! and OA.  Turns out he can't do the downgrade!  He downloaded the Pro installer from the first post of the announcement thread here and removed AIS including running the Avast! uninstaller.  When he ran the Pro Installer, as soon as he entered the license he was upgraded to an AIS installation without ever being asked. So I have no idea whether the restriction to AIS only is because he has a paid AIS license, a multi-PC AIS license, or something else.  But he has decided just to live with the slow down.  I am using a license from Vlk I got after the v5 beta testing that he advertised as being good for either Pro or AIS, so may be different? But has anyone downgraded a real paid AIS license to Pro?  Or have something else to tell this user?  Or do beta testers all need to hit Vlk for a special license if they want to test both Pro and AIS on the same machine?  ???  BTW, this is not unusual-OA will not let me install OA Premium with an OA++ license; I can only install OA++ with the AV and turn off the AV from the menu.  Maybe Avast! and OA got their installers from the same place?  ;)

sded

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2011, 06:44:24 PM »
Did an image, so decided to torture the installer once more.  Uninstalled Pro normally and reinstalled AIS less firewall without uninstalling OA.  So Far, so good.  :)