Author Topic: Malwarebytes pro and Avast free  (Read 5205 times)

ePlay

Malwarebytes pro and Avast free
« on: May 12, 2011, 09:45:03 PM »
Can i run malwarebytes pro with avast free

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Malwarebytes pro and Avast free
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 09:51:04 PM »
The short answer is yes.

I have it on my other system, there are some that say that you have to exclude the MABM files/folder in avast and vice versa in MBAM. I haven't bothered with any of that and no problems. I do however exclude the c:\windows\temp\_avast_ (or _avast5_) folder, where avast unpacks/copies files it is going to scan in the MBAM settings, Ignore List tab.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ePlay

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 09:54:11 PM »
but will i get problem if i dont put anything in exlude list

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 10:03:01 PM »
As I said it is where avast scans files, should you not exclude it at worst it will just cause duplication of scanning, at worst MBAM locks the file whilst it scans it.

If it is a file that is infected and mbam alerts on it, then it will try to deal with what is in essence a temporary file (not the real one). All of this stops avast from scanning the file and won't deal with the real file as it won't have scanned what it was trying to scan.

This could let malware into your system rather than prevent it as it could be something that is coming down from the internet (via the web shield), not good.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

scrub

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 03:57:37 AM »
As I said it is where avast scans files, should you not exclude it at worst it will just cause duplication of scanning, at worst MBAM locks the file whilst it scans it.

If it is a file that is infected and mbam alerts on it, then it will try to deal with what is in essence a temporary file (not the real one). All of this stops avast from scanning the file and won't deal with the real file as it won't have scanned what it was trying to scan.

This could let malware into your system rather than prevent it as it could be something that is coming down from the internet (via the web shield), not good.

would it be possible running AIS and malwarebytes PRO then? bpth have real-time protection. any conflict?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 05:19:58 AM »
It makes no difference if it were avast free and MBAM Pro, whilst they are resident applications they are different. Essentially not having two resident anti-virus programs installed or not having two resident anti-spy/malware applications installed.

One of each generally isn't an issue. After that on-demand applications can be used as an alternative second opinion. But there are precautions that can or should be taken to take them out of direct contact/conflict as I have mentioned.

nord

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 06:47:09 PM »
The short answer is yes.

I have it on my other system, there are some that say that you have to exclude the MABM files/folder in avast and vice versa in MBAM. I haven't bothered with any of that and no problems. I do however exclude the c:\windows\temp\_avast_ (or _avast5_) folder, where avast unpacks/copies files it is going to scan in the MBAM settings, Ignore List tab.

David,

Thanks for the detailed posting. I use MalwareBytePro and Avast and have had problems in the past. Your instructions removed the conflicts. Tks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 07:00:08 PM »
You're welcome.