Author Topic: Webrep not working  (Read 4091 times)

Offline Geoffo

Webrep not working
« on: May 14, 2011, 10:58:08 AM »
Webrep has been working perfectly since installed but this morning, everything is greyed out. I haven't changed any settings. Why is that?
Win7, Chrome, Avast MBAM, SUS,

SafeSurf

Re: Webrep not working
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 11:04:41 AM »
Others have reported this as well today.  I do not know if it is down for maintenance or being updated.  Perhaps we will find out later on.  Thank you for reporting it.  ;)

dagrev

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 04:50:08 PM »
It seems mine stopped working late Friday (Eastern Time).  I don't recall it being out that long before.  Glad I'm not the only one.

rambo1940

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 07:32:58 PM »
If there is maintenance or an update it would have been nice to be told about it beforehand and then we would not have to ask why it is greyed out

Zooropa

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 08:00:17 PM »
It stopped working for me too after updating Avast  :-\

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 08:30:23 PM »
It is independent of any avast update unless it changed the features/function of the webrep, it is the fact that it has to communicate with the backend servers for a) you to receive the information on the sites rep and b) to enable you to vote and for that information to be recorded on the backend servers.

As more people update to avast6 and the webrep the greater the numbers of users accessing those servers also increases. So it really is still early days and ensuring the backend servers can keep pace with the usage is always going to be a bit of a balancing act.

However, lets not loose site of the fact that currently this is a reputational tool and 'not' a part of the avast security shields as such, it isn't critical. If it is working great, use it, if not be patient.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 03:54:36 AM »
WebRep isn't stable (yet).
The best things in life are free.

Offline Geoffo

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 10:15:31 AM »
It is independent of any avast update unless it changed the features/function of the webrep, it is the fact that it has to communicate with the backend servers for a) you to receive the information on the sites rep and b) to enable you to vote and for that information to be recorded on the backend servers.

As more people update to avast6 and the webrep the greater the numbers of users accessing those servers also increases. So it really is still early days and ensuring the backend servers can keep pace with the usage is always going to be a bit of a balancing act.

However, lets not loose site of the fact that currently this is a reputational tool and 'not' a part of the avast security shields as such, it isn't critical. If it is working great, use it, if not be patient.

Thanks David, I think webrep is innovational in that if you do a lot of random surfing, it gives a great indicator of what is safe & what might not be. We should be patient yes, but would liked to have thought this would not be rolled out in the final product if it wasn't functioning properly
Win7, Chrome, Avast MBAM, SUS,

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 10:20:59 AM »
It's not final yet as more features will be added to it in the future.  So we all need to be patient.  :)

pcclean3453

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 03:13:54 PM »
Programs are never perfect and they never will be. ;D

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 04:52:49 PM »
<snip>
Thanks David, I think webrep is innovational in that if you do a lot of random surfing, it gives a great indicator of what is safe & what might not be. We should be patient yes, but would liked to have thought this would not be rolled out in the final product if it wasn't functioning properly

You're welcome.

It still is very early days for what is a reputational database, when that matures (which obviously takes time) then it will be a greater benefit. So users have to get working (when the webrep is working) and vote for sites they routinely visit and rank them.

As and when the other developments are added (virus labs data) that benefit will be even more. But for now we have to be patient and trust that avast can see the bigger picture in what they have a purpose for the webrep.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security