Author Topic: Some Outlook folders not being scanned now  (Read 13052 times)

dagrev

Some Outlook folders not being scanned now
« on: May 18, 2011, 03:55:01 PM »
For some reason my "c:\User\D...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst" is no longer being scanned because "the process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file(33)"

Never had this happen before with this location and nothing has changed.  Seeing that the outlook file is important I'd like it to be scanned.  I have turned off Outlook and it still won't scan it.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks

PatP3005

Re: Some Outlook folders not being scanned now
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 04:24:02 PM »
Me too! I just logged in to ask the same question. I am getting the same reason on my Outlook.pst too.

Wondering how to tell what process has it locked??

(Win XP Vs. 2002 SP3; Avast 6.0.1000 Virus Def 110518-0)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 04:28:39 PM »

Update your avast to 6.0.1125
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

dagrev

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 02:18:48 PM »
For whatever reason it seems to be scanning okay now.  Nothing changed on my end so I'm not sure what was up with that.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 02:23:20 PM »
For whatever reason it seems to be scanning okay now.  Nothing changed on my end so I'm not sure what was up with that.

Well, good that it's solved now. (Whatever it was...)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

PatP3005

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 03:44:33 PM »

Update your avast to 6.0.1125

I did the update yesterday. Scan last night shows same problem - "can't scan Outlook.pst because another process has locked a portion of the file (33)"

Is there any way I can tell what process has the file locked?

dagrev

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 04:01:05 PM »
I'm having the problem again. 

I don't know what process has it locked, but avast used to have no problem with it and I haven't added anything to the computer.

Any suggestions?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 04:27:14 PM »
Is there any way I can tell what process has the file locked?
Yes. Unlocker (take care of taking no action with the file, I mean, not to delete it).
The best things in life are free.

dagrev

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 04:30:36 PM »
I wonder why this is happening now all of the sudden?

Will Unlocker allow the file to be scanned or just to see what's blocking access?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 07:33:49 PM »
Will Unlocker allow the file to be scanned or just to see what's blocking access?
You can unlock the file only, killing the handlers.
It could happen due to Google Desktop or Windows Search indexing among other things.

PatP3005

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 10:39:27 PM »
Yes. Unlocker (take care of taking no action with the file, I mean, not to delete it).

I always forget I have Unlocker! I closed Outlook, went to the outlook.pst file and clicked Unlocker. Says nothing is locking it, no handlers found. So, I got out of that, choosing No Action. Then used my right click/Scan with Avast on just the outlook.pst file. Scanned it no problem.

I know almost nothing about this stuff, but I have two thoughts.
1. Is the scan Avast does from the menu on one file different than the scan it does at night while doing a full scan?
2. I leave Outlook open all the time. And Avast never used to have a problem scanning it while open until this last update. Should it matter to Avast if Outlook is running?

Thanks for any input!  :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 11:07:46 PM »
Should it matter to Avast if Outlook is running?
No it shouldn't.
But if any other process "blocks" the Outlook file, then avast can't scan because it cannot "touch" the blocked pst file.

PatP3005

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 04:53:54 PM »
I ran Unlocker again, only I left Outlook running this time. I've attached a screen shot of the results. Unfortunately, it doesn't mean much to me. It looks to me like it is saying that it can't access the outlook.pst file because the process outlook.exe has it locked. Wouldn't that be a normal state? I'm also curious why I seem to be the only one having this issue. I'm not comfortable not having this particular file not being scanned. I can start closing it every night if that will allow it to scan, but I've been using it this way for years. Why has it changed now?

dagrev

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 05:00:23 PM »
You're not the only one--so don't feel lonely!

I don't understand why this just started.  The outlook file would be an important file to scan I would think.

PatP3005

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 03:36:20 PM »
Hi dagarev, looks like it's you and me!

I closed Outlook yesterday at the end of my day. When Avast scanned at 3:30 a.m. (with Outlook not running) I got NO messages this morning. Meaning it did scan outlook.pst.

I don't get why it just started not liking that it is running while being scanned, but it's not a big deal for me to close it. I do think I'll send a message to Support though.

Good luck,
Pat