Author Topic: For those who run Winpatrol  (Read 7620 times)

DBone

For those who run Winpatrol
« on: May 19, 2011, 07:01:06 PM »
I just installed Winpatrol Plus yesterday, after getting familiar with the free version for 24hrs. It is a great little program to say the least. It is under 2MB's for both disc space and resource usage. It found both a Panda Cloud, and a Comodo Active X item, and they both were active. They were the only other two AVs that have ever been on my machine, so I guess the unistaller for each needs a little more work. WP easily deleted both items. I have it set to monitor in real time, and it is totally invisible to my machine in terms of any types of slowdowns. Very cool.

Now to those of you who run WP, my question is, did you guys exclude WP in any of avast!'s shields? If so, which ones? I have not excluded WP at all, and it is running smoothly and using only 1,300kb in task manager as I have it set.

Any advice from experienced WP / avast! users would be appreciated.

spg SCOTT

Re: For those who run Winpatrol
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 07:08:55 PM »
No exclusions at all..works as described.

The only issue was with a stubborn startup registry entry that wouldn't delete. I had to use another program.
(I think that this was because WP runs under the user account, so may not have privileges to remove it permanently. Maybe if I was logged in as admin it may have removed it...)

I like WP, just little things like knowing in advance that flash will update because of the startup entry ;)

Same system (win 7 64bit)

DBone

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 07:43:11 PM »
Yea, I was a little reluctant at first to try it, but curiosity got the better of me. I have yet to pay for the Pro/Plus version of any paid program (sorry avast! ;D ) but the free version was so cool, that I pulled the trigger on the paid upgrade. Thanks for the feedback! 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 07:53:26 PM »
I haven't excluded it in either of my two systems XP Pro and win7 and both are using WinPatrol Pro, no problems.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DBone

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 05:49:25 AM »
Thanks David, I'll keep it just as is. What a cool little program it is! I'm digging it more and more as I become accustom to it.

marc-d-l

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 06:59:07 AM »
Does it work well with avast version 6

DBone

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 07:06:44 AM »
Does it work well with avast version 6

It runs invisibly here on my W7 x64 Home Premium machine. I have real time monitoring on (Plus/paid feature) and as I type this WP is using 1,477k of ram and I don't even know its there.

MAG

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 05:40:02 PM »
I'd like to tag a question onto this thread if I may.

Avast (like most/all other AVs) seems to have problems detecting some fake AVs.

I used to run a HIPS (Comodo FW/D+) to protect against this (or at least alert to it).

Now I have upgraded to AIS and uninstalled D+, can I expect Winpatrol Plus to do the same(by alerting to new start menu entries or services placed by any fake AV, or do these fakes have methods that are too subtle)?

(I know this isn't the right section, or even the right forum really, but the since the thread was here I thought I'd give it a try).

Thanks

« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 08:12:09 PM by mag »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 07:55:56 PM »
No exclusions at all..works as described.
+1

The only issue was with a stubborn startup registry entry that wouldn't delete. I had to use another program.
(I think that this was because WP runs under the user account, so may not have privileges to remove it permanently. Maybe if I was logged in as admin it may have removed it...)
Most probably. The setup option into WP removes the entry.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 07:58:14 PM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 08:18:57 PM »
I used to run a HIPS (Comodo FW/D+) to protect against this (or at least alert to it).
You can advanced install Comodo Firewall and Defense+ and then disable the firewall to keep only the HIPS, if you want.

Now I have upgraded to AIS and uninstalled D+, can I expect Winpatrol Plus to do the same(by alerting to new start menu entries or services placed by any fake AV)?
It will, but after being installed.

MAG

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 09:38:21 PM »
You can advanced install Comodo Firewall and Defense+ and then disable the firewall to keep only the HIPS, if you want.

Thanks - I didn't know you could install then disable comodo FW and use avast FW without risk of driver level clashes between the two installed FWs.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 09:42:18 PM »

Thanks - I didn't know you could install then disable comodo FW and use avast FW without risk of driver level clashes between the two installed FWs.

Safer route:
Disable avast firewall permanently.
Boot.
Install Comodo firewall + Defense+.
Boot.
Disable Comodo firewall.
Boot.
Enable avast firewall.

arcejs

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 12:11:53 AM »
Comodo Defense+, +Avast is beter than Avast + ThreatFire?

Someone told me ThreatFire + Avast have conflicts...

Btw... how to disable comodo firewall? i disabled it.. but is permanent?

(i answered my self trying =P yes, is permanent hehe)

Great, now i have the Best Antivirus with a HIPS protection ;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:30:16 AM by arcejs »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 03:14:43 AM »
Comodo Defense+, +Avast is beter than Avast + ThreatFire?
D+ is a HIPS. ThreatFire is a behavior blocker. Different technologies. Apples and oranges.
One blocks/informs everything. Other uses rules/signatures to analyze behavior and block some of them (suspicious).

Someone told me ThreatFire + Avast have conflicts...
They shouldn't. But, in fact, TF is not being accelerated developed anymore. In the past it has "conflicts" with a lot of things. For me, messes more than protects.

Btw... how to disable comodo firewall? i disabled it.. but is permanent?
Into the firewall settings there is an option to disable it. https://forums.comodo.com/defense-sandbox-help-cis/install-defense-only-as-hips-tool-t72395.0.html;msg515241#msg515241
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 03:22:24 AM by Tech »

arcejs

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 03:42:06 AM »
Really thnks... ty for explain the difference between comodo defense+ and threat fire ;)

Im almost new in this...

Now i have Comodo Defense+ now only ;) (not firewall) + AIS 6